Telecommuting (often called telework ) involves employees who work away from their employer's business location. Generally, telecommuting involves working from home by utilizing technology to create a virtual office. So-called 'road warriors' or 'web commuters' also work away from their employer's office and are telecommuters, but do not work at home. Telecommuting Work Society.
Telecommuting is a work arrangement in which employees do not commute or travel by bus or car to a central place of work, such as an office building, warehouse or store. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Telecommuting, also called remote work, telework, or teleworking, is a work arrangement in which employees do not commute or travel to a central place of work, such as an office building, warehouse, or store. Teleworkers in the 2000s often use mobile telecommunications technology such as Wi-Fi-equipped laptop or tablet computers and smartphones to work from coffee shops; others may use a desktop computer and a landline phone at their home. According to a Reuters poll, approximately "one in five workers around the globe, particularly employees in the Middle East, Latin America and Asia, telecommute frequently and nearly 10 percent work from home every day." In the 2000s, annual leave or vacation in some organizations is seen as absence from the workplace rather than ceasing work, and some office employees use telework to continue to check work e-mails while on vacation.
- Telecommuting Category
- Media richness theory - Media Richness Theory, sometimes referred to as information richness theory or MRT, is a framework used to describe a communication medium's ability to reproduce the information sent over it.
- Canadian Telework Association (CTA).
- Coworking - Coworking is a style of work that involves a shared working environment, often an office, and independent activity. Unlike in a typical office environment, those coworking are usually not employed by the same organization.
- Flextime - Flextime is a flexible hours schedule that allows workers to alter workday start and finish times. In contrast to traditional work arrangements that require employees to work a standard 9 a.m.
- Home Work Convention, 1996 - Home Work Convention, 1996 is an International Labour Organization Convention, which came into force in 2000. It offers protection to workers who are employed in their own homes.
- Hot desking - Hot desking is an office organization system which involves multiple workers using a single physical work station or surface during different time periods.
- Working conditions
- Working time
- Telecommuting360 Telecommuting360 www
Telecommuting360 is an organization of telecommuters, Telecommuting360, providers and companies dedicated to bringing resources and people together to solve the ongoing issues surrounding telecommuting. Telecommuting360.
- A Variety Work at Home www
A directory of real work-at-home jobs that require no fees. Work at Home. Includes advice, information and resources for home based work. Variety Work at Home.
- An the NuNomad www
An information and community site for nomadic professionals and entrepreneurs who are telecommuting from anywhere. the NuNomad.
- Subscription-based Telework Recruiting, Inc. www
Subscription-based site offering lists of telecommuting jobs and work from home jobs for the US, Recruiting, Inc., UK, and Canada. Telework Recruiting, Inc..
- Resources About.com: Mobile Office Technology www
Resources and products for mobile workers, Mobile Office Technology, tips and advice for telecommuters, home office resources and remote work business traveling information. About.com: Mobile Office Technology.
- The Telework: The Benefits www
The benefits of telecommuting for employers and for teleworkers. Telework: The Benefits.
- Senate Telework Enhancement Act of 2007 www
Senate bill to, Enhancement Act of 2007, "ensure that eligible employees participate in telework to the maximum extent possible without diminishing employee performance or agency operations." Telework Enhancement Act of 2007.
- Offers iVillage Work From Home Channel www
Offers information for women who freelance, Work From Home Channel, own home businesses or telecommute. iVillage Work From Home Channel.
- Research Sloan Work and Family Research Network -- Telework Topics www
Research and resources about telecommuting plus additional work and family topics. Sloan Work and Family Research Network -- Telework Topics.
- At Telecommunications and Travel Behavior Research Program www
At the University of California, and Travel Behavior Research Program, Davis. Information on projects, staff, publication and related sites. Telecommunications and Travel Behavior Research Program.
- Blog Undress4Success www
Blog offering advice on how to find legitimate home based businesses, Undress4Success, work from home jobs with traditional employers, and freelance work. Undress4Success.
- Overview JALA International www
Overview of telework, International, telecommuting, and applied futures research consulting services. JALA International.
- Links The Rat Race Rebellion www
Links to telework self-assessments, Rat Race Rebellion, tools, organizations, telework-friendly companies, helpful articles, and recommended readings. The Rat Race Rebellion.
- Works VirtualWorks! www
Works with organizations to teach people new ways to work productively in the virtual workplace. VirtualWorks!. Resource site for those who either currently are or wish to telecommute. VirtualWorks!.
- Research Euro-Telework www
Research and reports on telework and telecommuting in Europe. Euro-Telework.
- Free Telework!VA www
Free resources, Telework!VA, expert telework assistance, and financial incentives provided by the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transport for Northern Virginia, Hampton Roads, and Richmond companies to encourage work-at-home programs. Telework!VA.
- Job teleTwenties www
Job leads, teleTwenties, advice, and distractions for the young, and the young at heart, professional who can't imagine 40 more years of life in a cubicle. teleTwenties.
- Information Telecommuter Guidelines www
Information on developing work objectives, Guidelines, organizational and time management strategies, communication methods, technology, and problem resolution techniques as they relate to telecommuting. Telecommuter Guidelines.
- Portal World of Work Portal www
Portal for small business, Work Portal, self employment, teleworking information and resources. World of Work Portal.
- Although European Telework Week www
Although there is no longer a Telework Week, Telework Week, this European site focuses on the changing nature of socio-economic activity in the developing information society including changes to the nature of work and the working environment. Good practice, case studies, security and dependability, and policy issues. European Telework Week.
- PDF SafeWork - Teleworking www
PDF report on teleworking. SafeWork - Teleworking.
- Telework Telework Advocacy www
Telework Advocacy is a large group of forward-thinking influencers and decision makers who understand the benefits that a properly-constructed telework model can provide for the employee, Advocacy, employer and the environment. Telework Advocacy.
- A Telework in Hungary and Worldwide www
A Hungarian telework job board with tips and articles on teleworking. Telework in Hungary and Worldwide.
- A Telework Exchange www
A public-private partnership focused on demonstrating the tangible value of telework, Exchange, particularly within the US Federal teleworker community. Provides value and eligibility calculators, research studies, and useful tools. Telework Exchange.
- A CommuteZero www
A Resource for Virtual Teams and Telecommuters. CommuteZero. Helpful tips, techniques and tool reviews for virtual teams and telecommuters. CommuteZero.
- TeleworkNetwork.com The Telework Network www
TeleworkNetwork. Telework Network.com is a network of ideas and people which provide the tools to learn about, succeed, and survive the telework world. The Telework Network.
- Source InnoVisions Canada www
Source of information about telework and telecommuting, Canada, with information about the Canadian Telework Association, a non-profit association dedicated to promoting telework. InnoVisions Canada.
- Provides Gill Gordon & Associates www
Provides information to individuals and companies on telecommuting programs. Gill Gordon & Associates.
- Telecommute Telecommute CT www
Telecommute Connecticut! is a statewide initiative providing free assistance to employers with the design, CT, development and implementation of telecommuting as a worksite alternative. Lots of great resources and information for telecommuters. Telecommute CT.
- Reports, Future Work Forum www
Reports, Work Forum, forum, workshops and Seminar at Henley Research Centres. Future Work Forum.
- Beyond Telecommuting www
1993 study carried out by Global Telematics (Jack Nilles) for the United States Department of Energy (USDOE) and the Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory (LBL) in support of the development of the National Information Infrastructure (NII). Telecommuting. Includes 'Perspectives On Telecommunications and Transportation', 'Policy Analysis', and 'Recommendations'. Beyond Telecommuting.
- The Scatterwork www
The company specializes in infrastructure and processes for teleworking and virtual teams in small and medium enterprises that want to reduce costs and improve efficiency. Scatterwork.
- A FlexJobs www
A resource for a wide variety of telecommuting and work from home job opportunities, FlexJobs, each one hand-screened and legitimate. FlexJobs.
- Resource Home Job Coach www
Resource for telecommuting and work from home opportunities. Job Coach. Offers a downloadable guide that provides access to more than 100 companies who regularly hire at-home workers. Home Job Coach.
- A Telecommuting Productivity Research www
A study that identifies fifteen reasons why telecommuting may not increase productivity as much as commonly believed. Telecommuting Productivity Research.
- News, The Telework Coalition www
News, Telework Coalition, tools, facts, reference materials and links to telework and telecommuting resource and companies including telemedicine and distance learning applications The Telework Coalition.
- Site VirtualVocations www
Site provides a daily compilation of hand screened, VirtualVocations, legitimate telecommute employment positions. VirtualVocations.
- Tips, You Can Work From Anywhere www
Tips, Can Work From Anywhere, tools, articles, newsletters, seminars, and other resources to help improve the productivity of telecommuters, mobile workers, managers, and home-based workers. You Can Work From Anywhere.
- Provides 2Work-At-Home.com www
Provides telecommuting job listings, 2Work-At-Home.com, home business ideas and other work from home resources. 2Work-At-Home.com.
- Membership Romanian Association for Telework and Teleactivities www
Membership organization providing leadership in addressing issues that confront the future of telework and teleactivities. Romanian Association for Telework and Teleactivities.
- Europe's Telecentre Association www
Europe's largest organisation dedicated to the promotion of teleworking. Association. Details of membership requirements, news, events and jobs, with publications, ezine and online shop. Telecentre Association.
- Resources Work life balance www
Resources from Britain's UNISON trade union on working to live, life balance, not living to work. Work life balance.
- Learn Super Busy Parents www
Learn more about the book for every parent with too much to do and to little time. Super Busy Parents.
- Companion Where We Work www
Companion site to the CBC Radio program exploring the world of work. Work. Includes essays, audio, and online forums on a variety of topics. Where We Work.
- A Custodial Worker's Resource www
A worker's resource for custodial, Worker's Resource, janitorial, maintenance workers and other service professionals. Included are a message board, information on safety, floor care, maintenance and unions. Custodial Worker's Resource.
- Alexa: Telecommuting Work
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Telecommuting Work
- DMOZ: Telecommuting Work
dmoz.org Directory: Telecommuting Work