Information by and for intersexed folks: people who were born with anatomy that differs from cultural ideas of what "male" and "female" are supposed to be, whether they have ambiguous genitalia, XXY chromosomes, or something else entirely. Intersexed Transgendered Society.
Some intersex infants and children, such as those with ambiguous outer genitalia, are surgically or hormonally altered to create more socially acceptable sex characteristics. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Intersex people are born with any of several variations in sex characteristics including chromosomes, gonads, sex hormones, or genitals that, according to the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, "do not fit the typical definitions for male or female bodies". Such variations may involve genital ambiguity, and combinations of chromosomal genotype and sexual phenotype other than XY-male and XX-female.
- Intersex Category
- Biology of gender
- Gender studies
- Contains UK Turner Society www
Contains support, Turner Society, information on hormone replacement therapy for folks with Turner's, health issues for folks with TS, and personal stories. UK Turner Society.
- The Sex Police www
The biology of sex is being hotly debated, Police, as parents, doctors and researchers reevaluate what it means to be male and female. This is an article about 'gender reinforcement' surgery by a subscriber to the US branch of the AIS Support Group. Sex Police.
- UK-based The Genetic Interest Group www
UK-based organisation that aims to increase the public/government profile of genetic conditions. Genetic Interest Group. The AIS Support Group (UK) is affiliated to GIG. The Genetic Interest Group.
- Why Hypospadias www
Why it happens, Hypospadias, what it is, what to do; see photos of hypospadias and contact others with it. Discusses androgen insensitivity, testicular feminization syndrome, development, and even ISNA. Hypospadias.
- Registered GIRES: The Gender Identity Research & Education Society www
Registered UK charity that sponsors research and education on gender identity. GIRES: The Gender Identity Research & Education Society.
- Includes Guide to Medical Intersexuality Vocabulary www
Includes such bitterly funny entries as "Ambiguous Genitalia: Genitalia that refuse to declare their sex to doctors--no doubt on the principle that under interrogation by the enemy you should give only name, Medical Intersexuality Vocabulary, rank, and serial number." Guide to Medical Intersexuality Vocabulary.
- Klinfelter's Genetic Org www
Klinfelter's support site. Org. Designed to provide support and education for families and professionals dealing with these genetic conditions, including sex chromosome variations 47XXY, 48XXYY, 48XXXY, 49XXXXY, and 46XY/47XXY mosaic. Genetic Org.
- Conference Transcending Boundaries Conference www
Conference for bisexual/pansexual, Boundaries Conference, trans/genderqueer, and intersex people and our allies. Includes information on registration, housing, travel and workshops. Transcending Boundaries Conference.
- Information Inside Intersexuality www
Information and support for intersexuals and parents of intersexuals. Intersexuality. Articles on genital surgery, gender orientation, sexual identity, and message board. Inside Intersexuality.
- A The Sex That Dare Not Speak Its Name www
A long article by Emily Nussbaum in the current issue of Lingua Franca details the rise of the increasingly successful intersex social justice movement, Sex That Dare Not Speak Its Name, its alliances with humanists and social scientists in the academy, and growing pockets of change within the medical community. The Sex That Dare Not Speak Its Name.
- Policy American Academy of Pediatrics www
Policy statement on "Evaluation of the Newborn With Developmental Anomalies of the External Genitalia" intending to help the primary care pediatrician identify which newborns need to be screened for intersexuality and to suggest indications for referral. Academy of Pediatrics. Also includes an outline of the embryology of the external genitalia indicating where errors can arise. American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Study True Hermaphroditism: Considerations in the Management of Patients Presenting in Early and Adult Life www
Study of a twenty-seven year old man with penoscrotal hypospadias and unilateral undescended gonad who was diagnosed with lateral true hermaphroditism during an evaluation for infertility. True Hermaphroditism: Considerations in the Management of Patients Presenting in Early and Adult Life.
- Provides How Can An LGBT Office Serve Intersexed People? www
Provides information on providing better services for intersexed people by gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender program/offices. Can An LGBT Office Serve Intersexed People?. An FAQ of the National Consortium of Directors of LGBT Resources in Higher Education. How Can An LGBT Office Serve Intersexed People?.
- Article Making the Cut www
Article from Ms. the Cut. Magazine tracing the history of clitoridectomy from the 1800s when it was used to prevent masturbation to the modern practice of assigning gender to sexually ambiguous children. Making the Cut.
- Article Into the Hands of Babes www
Article from Johns Hopkins Magazine about William Reiner and his change of heart with regards to the treatment of intersexed children. Into the Hands of Babes.
- Offers Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome (AIS) www
Offers medical information from the National Institute of Health. Insensitivity Syndrome (AIS). Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome (AIS).
- The Lynn Edward Harris www
The profile of a clinically-diagnosed born intersexed person, Edward Harris, and presumed precedent-setting case of rectification of civil status without surgical alteration. Lynn Edward Harris.
- ISNA's Intersexuality and the Law www
ISNA's bibliography of intersexed legal news. Intersexuality and the Law.
- For TurnersSyndrome-L www
For families and individuals with Turner's Syndrome. TurnersSyndrome-L.
- A Intersex-Androgynous www
A place for support and education about and for persons with an intersexed and/or androgynous physical appearance. Intersex-Androgynous.
- Alexa: Intersexed Transgendered
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Intersexed Transgendered
- DMOZ: Intersexed Transgendered
dmoz.org Directory: Intersexed Transgendered