Similar to the "Bodyart" section under Arts, this area concentrates less on the 'art' aspect, and more on the philosophy, culture and life-style of the Urban Primitive. ----- Link to Arts-Bodyart Urban Primitive Subcultures Society.
Modern primitives or urban primitives are people in developed nations who engage in body modification rituals and practices while making reference or homage to the rite of passage practices in " primitive cultures " These practices may include body piercing, tattooing, play piercing, flesh hook suspension, corset training, scarification, branding, and cutting. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Modern primitives or urban primitives are people in developed and culturally altered post-colonial nations who engage in body modification rituals and practices while making reference or homage to the rite of passage practices in "primitive cultures". These practices may include body piercing, tattooing, play piercing, flesh hook suspension, corset training, scarification, branding, and cutting. The motivation for engaging in these varied practices may be personal growth, rite of passage, or spiritual or sexual curiosity.
- Noble savage - A noble savage is a literary stock character who embodies the concept of the indigene, outsider, or "other" who has not been "corrupted" by civilization, and therefore symbolizes humanity's innate goodness.
- Paleolithic diet - The Paleolithic diet is based mainly on foods presumed to have been available to Paleolithic humans. Wide variability exists in the way the diet is interpreted.
- Paleolithic lifestyle - In a Paleolithic lifestyle, one attempts to live as humans presumably did in the Paleolithic era, or to recreate such a lifestyle in the present day. The rationale for such an approach is that humans evolved to live in a Paleolithic environment.
- Sexuality and gender identity-based cultures
- Body piercing
- Cultural appropriation
- Modern primitive movement
- Lists Fist and Fangs www
Lists Deborah Addington's classes offered, and Fangs, schedule, and books. Fist and Fangs.
- A The Accelerating Collision of Past and Future in the Postmodern Era www
A philosophical review by Steve Mizrach describing what it means to be primitive in a postmodern era; suggesting one view of why ModPrims engage in body modification. The Accelerating Collision of Past and Future in the Postmodern Era.
- Erik The Lizardman www
Erik Sprague is a sideshow artist who shares his experiences and philosophies behind his body modifications. Lizardman. Features an events list as well as contact and booking information. The Lizardman.
- Discusses The Wasp Waist www
Discusses the effects of using corsets to change the shape of the body. The Wasp Waist.
- Online Subkultures.net www
Online community for people who don't feel part of the mainstream. Subkultures.net. Hosts sites for individuals. Subkultures.net.
- Virtual Mind Space www
Virtual community formed to discuss a sustainable future, Space, reality selection, surrounding philosophies, cyber culture, literature, alternative lifestyles and viewpoints, freedom of information, music, and psychedelics. Mind Space.
- Alexa: Urban Primitive Subcultures
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Urban Primitive Subcultures
- DMOZ: Urban Primitive Subcultures
dmoz.org Directory: Urban Primitive Subcultures