Just what makes one a "Gothic" or "Goth" one might ask? First, the term itself needs to be defined. A history buff might know that the Goths were a group of Germanic barbarians that invaded the Roman Empire between the 3rd and 5th centuries. Lovers of art and architecture will at once recognize Gothic architecture often seen in massive stone cathedrals, marked by very tall thin arched windows with elaborate stained glass designs. The art itself is dark and morbid, revealing the macabre interests of the Medieval Europeans. A more recent definition of Gothic refers to a movement in literature in the 18th and 19th centuries. Gothic literature is noted by gloomy settings, mysterious and often violent events, and psychological terror of some sort. Gothic Subcultures Society.
- Gothic architecture An architectural style that flourished in Europe during the High and Late Middle Ages.
- Goths An East Germanic people, two of whose branches, the Visigoths and the Ostrogoths, played an...
- Sans-serif In typography and lettering, a sans-serif, sans serif, gothic, or simply sans letterform is one...
- Gothic language An extinct East Germanic language that was spoken by the Goths.
- Gothic art A style of medieval art that developed in Northern France out of Romanesque art in the 12th...
- Gothic fiction A genre or mode of literature and film that combines fiction and horror, death, and at times...
- Gothic (film) A 1986 British horror film directed by Ken Russell, starring Gabriel Byrne as Lord Byron, Julian...
- Goth subculture A youth subculture that began in England during the early 1980s where it developed from the...
- Gothic rock A style of rock music that emerged from post-punk in the late 1970s.
- Blackletter A script used throughout Western Europe from approximately 1150 to well into the 17th century.
- SS Gothic (1893) An ocean liner, built in 1893 at the Harland and Wolff Shipyards for the White Star Line.
- Dark Forum www
Message board with topics sorted by subject. Forum.
- Pete An Early History of Goth www
Pete Scathe outlines the beginnings of the Goth movement between 1979 and 1984, Early History of Goth, and looks at the influences on its development, including bands and fashion. An Early History of Goth.
- A Goth To Be Different www
A site dedicated to the people who reign the night, Be Different, the Gothic people. Goth To Be Different.
- Standard-Times Stop the False Alarmism www
Standard-Times article pleading to end stereotyping of students based on appearance and interests, the False Alarmism, particularly goths. Stop the False Alarmism.
- Image The Dark Side www
Image database, Dark Side, text files, net-goth gallery, club listings, and links. The Dark Side.
- B.A. RelgiousTolerance.org: The Goth Culture www
B. The Goth Culture.A. Robinson dispels some of the myths and preconceived notions about Goths, with references. RelgiousTolerance.org: The Goth Culture.
- Images, Tainted Tribe www
Images, Tribe, poetry, fonts, backgrounds, themes, screen savers, reviews, and links. Tainted Tribe.
- Dia Dia de los Muertos - Day of the Dead www
Dia de los muertos artwork. los Muertos - Day of the Dead. A brief history of the celebration and a link to a site to purchase Dia de los Muertos, Day of the Dead, art directly from the artist. Dia de los Muertos - Day of the Dead.
- The Chaos Monks www
The online arm of small communities of magickians and mystics who have gathered together to further our growth as true human beings. Monks. Listings include four monasteries, and places for chaosnomads (magickians who travel as part of their magickal practice) to meet and support one another. Chaos Monks.
- Essays Firewraith's Chaos Magick www
Essays on chaos magick, Chaos Magick, sigil magick and spells. Firewraith's Chaos Magick.
- Message Reno Gothic Message Board www
Message board dealing with the gothic community and goings-on in Northern Nevada. Reno Gothic Message Board.
- Gothic The Dark Side of the Net www
Gothic and related links. The Dark Side of the Net.
- Interface BerzerkoLINKX www
Interface to a gothic bookmark file. BerzerkoLINKX.
- For Dark Wyccan's Guide to Gothic Nail Care www
For anyone who wants to maintain long nails; especially goths, Wyccan's Guide to Gothic Nail Care, who are often opting for a certain look that would make a nail care professional scream. (Such as very long and/or sharp nails - especially on men.) Includes a compilation of nail care techniques and design tips. Dark Wyccan's Guide to Gothic Nail Care.
- Links Darklady's Gothic Mall www
Links to gothic clothing and accessories. Darklady's Gothic Mall.
- Decorating Gothic Holidays www
Decorating and craft ideas to make mundane holidays a little more enjoyable for goths. Gothic Holidays.
- Online Subkultures.net www
Online community for people who don't feel part of the mainstream. Subkultures.net. Hosts sites for individuals. Subkultures.net.
- Virtual Mind Space www
Virtual community formed to discuss a sustainable future, Space, reality selection, surrounding philosophies, cyber culture, literature, alternative lifestyles and viewpoints, freedom of information, music, and psychedelics. Mind Space.
- Alexa: Gothic Subcultures
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Gothic Subcultures
- DMOZ: Gothic Subcultures
dmoz.org Directory: Gothic Subcultures