Just what makes one a "Gothic" or "Goth" one might ask? First, the term itself needs to be defined. A history buff might know that the Goths were a group of Germanic barbarians that invaded the Roman Empire between the 3rd and 5th centuries. Lovers of art and architecture will at once recognize Gothic architecture often seen in massive stone cathedrals, marked by very tall thin arched windows with elaborate stained glass designs. The art itself is dark and morbid, revealing the macabre interests of the Medieval Europeans. A more recent definition of Gothic refers to a movement in literature in the 18th and 19th centuries. Gothic literature is noted by gloomy settings, mysterious and often violent events, and psychological terror of some sort. Gothic Subcultures Society.
- Gothic architecture An architectural style that flourished in Europe during the High and Late Middle Ages.
- Goths An East Germanic people, two of whose branches, the Visigoths and the Ostrogoths, played an...
- Sans-serif In typography and lettering, a sans-serif, sans serif, gothic, or simply sans letterform is one...
- Gothic language An extinct East Germanic language that was spoken by the Goths.
- Gothic art A style of medieval art that developed in Northern France out of Romanesque art in the 12th...
- Gothic fiction A genre or mode of literature and film that combines fiction and horror, death, and at times...
- Goth subculture The goth subculture adopts dark fashion elements such as black clothing, dyed black hair, dark...
- Blackletter A script used throughout Western Europe from approximately 1150 to well into the 17th century.
- Gothic (film) A 1986 British horror film directed by Ken Russell, starring Gabriel Byrne as Lord Byron, Julian...
- Pete An Early History of Goth www
Pete Scathe outlines the beginnings of the Goth movement between 1979 and 1984, Early History of Goth, and looks at the influences on its development, including bands and fashion. An Early History of Goth.
- Image The Dark Side www
Image database, Dark Side, text files, net-goth gallery, club listings, and links. The Dark Side.
- A Goth To Be Different www
A site dedicated to the people who reign the night, Be Different, the Gothic people. Goth To Be Different.
- B.A. RelgiousTolerance.org: The Goth Culture www
B. The Goth Culture.A. Robinson dispels some of the myths and preconceived notions about Goths, with references. RelgiousTolerance.org: The Goth Culture.
- Standard-Times Stop the False Alarmism www
Standard-Times article pleading to end stereotyping of students based on appearance and interests, the False Alarmism, particularly goths. Stop the False Alarmism.
- Gallery Myke Amend Studios www
Gallery containing gothic art, Amend Studios, comics, music, literature, photography, and animation including the dark comedy comic strip "Some Ghouls Wander by Mistake." A graphic art and design agency based in Cincinnati, Ohio. Myke Amend Studios.
- Images, Tainted Tribe www
Images, Tribe, poetry, fonts, backgrounds, themes, screen savers, reviews, and links. Tainted Tribe.
- A The Order of Chaos www
A dis/organization of magickians, Order of Chaos, artists and musicians who do private and performance rituals, merging ancient mythology with modern technology. The Order of Chaos.
- A Maybe Logic Academy: Chaos Magick Prospectus www
A course in chaos magick taught by Peter Carroll. Logic Academy: Chaos Magick Prospectus. The course draws from his Liber Null and Psychonaut and Liber Kaos, and takes eight weeks to complete. Maybe Logic Academy: Chaos Magick Prospectus.
- E-mail Darkwave Club Listings www
E-mail service to keep members informed on industrial and gothic events in NY, Club Listings, NJ, PA, DC and MD. Darkwave Club Listings.
- A Darkboy's Gothic Friends Forum www
A friendly forum where Goths and others can hang out and discuss their common interests. Darkboy's Gothic Friends Forum.
- Offers Gothic: The Old Curiosity Shop www
Offers a wide range of gothic resources including a Black Pages of gothic businesses and a links library in Quilp's Den. Gothic: The Old Curiosity Shop.
- Lists Black Page Directory www
Lists businesses that cater to gothic and related lifestyles. Black Page Directory.
- For Dark Wyccan's Guide to Gothic Nail Care www
For anyone who wants to maintain long nails; especially goths, Wyccan's Guide to Gothic Nail Care, who are often opting for a certain look that would make a nail care professional scream. (Such as very long and/or sharp nails - especially on men.) Includes a compilation of nail care techniques and design tips. Dark Wyccan's Guide to Gothic Nail Care.
- Links Darklady's Gothic Mall www
Links to gothic clothing and accessories. Darklady's Gothic Mall.
- Decorating Gothic Holidays www
Decorating and craft ideas to make mundane holidays a little more enjoyable for goths. Gothic Holidays.
- Virtual Mind Space www
Virtual community formed to discuss a sustainable future, Space, reality selection, surrounding philosophies, cyber culture, literature, alternative lifestyles and viewpoints, freedom of information, music, and psychedelics. Mind Space.
- Online Subkultures.net www
Online community for people who don't feel part of the mainstream. Subkultures.net. Hosts sites for individuals. Subkultures.net.
- Alexa: Gothic Subcultures
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Gothic Subcultures
- DMOZ: Gothic Subcultures
dmoz.org Directory: Gothic Subcultures