Just what makes one a "Gothic" or "Goth" one might ask? First, the term itself needs to be defined. A history buff might know that the Goths were a group of Germanic barbarians that invaded the Roman Empire between the 3rd and 5th centuries. Lovers of art and architecture will at once recognize Gothic architecture often seen in massive stone cathedrals, marked by very tall thin arched windows with elaborate stained glass designs. The art itself is dark and morbid, revealing the macabre interests of the Medieval Europeans. A more recent definition of Gothic refers to a movement in literature in the 18th and 19th centuries. Gothic literature is noted by gloomy settings, mysterious and often violent events, and psychological terror of some sort. Gothic Subcultures Society.
- Gothic architecture An architectural style that flourished in Europe during the High and Late Middle Ages.
- Goths An East Germanic people, two of whose branches, the Visigoths and the Ostrogoths, played an...
- Sans-serif In typography and lettering, a sans-serif, sans serif, gothic, or simply sans letterform is one...
- Gothic language An extinct East Germanic language that was spoken by the Goths.
- Gothic art A style of medieval art that developed in Northern France out of Romanesque art in the 12th...
- Gothic fiction A genre or mode of literature and film that combines fiction and horror, death, and at times...
- Gothic (film) A 1986 British horror film directed by Ken Russell, starring Gabriel Byrne as Lord Byron, Julian...
- Goth subculture A youth subculture that began in England during the early 1980s where it developed from the...
- Gothic rock A style of rock music that emerged from post-punk in the late 1970s.
- Blackletter A script used throughout Western Europe from approximately 1150 to well into the 17th century.
- SS Gothic (1893) An ocean liner, built in 1893 at the Harland and Wolff Shipyards for the White Star Line.
- Pete An Early History of Goth www
Pete Scathe outlines the beginnings of the Goth movement between 1979 and 1984, Early History of Goth, and looks at the influences on its development, including bands and fashion. An Early History of Goth.
- A Goth To Be Different www
A site dedicated to the people who reign the night, Be Different, the Gothic people. Goth To Be Different.
- B.A. RelgiousTolerance.org: The Goth Culture www
B. The Goth Culture.A. Robinson dispels some of the myths and preconceived notions about Goths, with references. RelgiousTolerance.org: The Goth Culture.
- Image The Dark Side www
Image database, Dark Side, text files, net-goth gallery, club listings, and links. The Dark Side.
- Standard-Times Stop the False Alarmism www
Standard-Times article pleading to end stereotyping of students based on appearance and interests, the False Alarmism, particularly goths. Stop the False Alarmism.
- Dark Obscure Wonders www
Dark Romanticism - literature, Wonders, music, movies, comics. Nick Cave, Ann Radcliffe and Tim Burton among many others. Philosophical and religious discussions of the gothic mystery. Obscure Wonders.
- Images, Tainted Tribe www
Images, Tribe, poetry, fonts, backgrounds, themes, screen savers, reviews, and links. Tainted Tribe.
- Born ANON Faction www
Born out of the desire to manifest some other occulture than covens and schools of druids, Faction, wiccans, thelemists and neopagans. Its intended function: a professional covert (occult) operations working group, with a deliberate focus on communications. ANON Faction.
- A The 555 Files - Techniques of Chaos Magic www
A manuscript by Joseph Max answering questions on chaos magick and rituals. The 555 Files - Techniques of Chaos Magic.
- A Darkboy's Gothic Friends Forum www
A friendly forum where Goths and others can hang out and discuss their common interests. Darkboy's Gothic Friends Forum.
- Gothic Melbourne Gothic Forum www
Gothic forum based in Australia, Gothic Forum, with events, links, and member pages. Melbourne Gothic Forum.
- Extensive Dark Side of the Net www
Extensive link directory for dark art, Side of the Net, literature, movies, music, news and community. Dark Side of the Net.
- Interface BerzerkoLINKX www
Interface to a gothic bookmark file. BerzerkoLINKX.
- Links Darklady's Gothic Mall www
Links to gothic clothing and accessories. Darklady's Gothic Mall.
- For Dark Wyccan's Guide to Gothic Nail Care www
For anyone who wants to maintain long nails; especially goths, Wyccan's Guide to Gothic Nail Care, who are often opting for a certain look that would make a nail care professional scream. (Such as very long and/or sharp nails - especially on men.) Includes a compilation of nail care techniques and design tips. Dark Wyccan's Guide to Gothic Nail Care.
- Decorating Gothic Holidays www
Decorating and craft ideas to make mundane holidays a little more enjoyable for goths. Gothic Holidays.
- Online Subkultures.net www
Online community for people who don't feel part of the mainstream. Subkultures.net. Hosts sites for individuals. Subkultures.net.
- Virtual Mind Space www
Virtual community formed to discuss a sustainable future, Space, reality selection, surrounding philosophies, cyber culture, literature, alternative lifestyles and viewpoints, freedom of information, music, and psychedelics. Mind Space.
- Alexa: Gothic Subcultures
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Gothic Subcultures
- DMOZ: Gothic Subcultures
dmoz.org Directory: Gothic Subcultures