Tao can be roughly translated into English as path. It is generally used in a more metaphysical sense within popular Taoism, however. Tao (Dao) is often seen as an insentient and unseen force, principle or system rather than a concrete or even metaphorical path. Taoists believe that the Tao is the source of all things, and thus Taoism is older than recorded history. The person usually attributed with having "reawakened" knowledge of the Tao is Lao Tzu (604?-531? BCE) a mysterious figure said to have been a librarian in the south of ancient China. Taoism is a philosophy but evolved into a religion about 140 CE and was later adopted as a state religion. At that time Lao Tzu became popularly venerated as a deity. Taoism Religion and Spirituality Society.
Taoism, also known as Daoism, is a religious, philosophical and ritual tradition of Chinese origin which emphasizes living in harmony with the Tao ( 道 , literally "Way", also romanized as Dao ). (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Taoism, also known as Daoism, is a religious or philosophical tradition of Chinese origin which emphasizes living in harmony with the Tao. The Tao is a fundamental idea in most Chinese philosophical schools; in Taoism, however, it denotes the principle that is the source, pattern and substance of everything that exists. Taoism differs from Confucianism by not emphasizing rigid rituals and social order. Taoist ethics vary depending on the particular school, but in general tend to emphasize wu wei, "naturalness", simplicity, spontaneity, and the Three Treasures: ? "compassion", ? "frugality", and ?????? "humility". The roots of Taoism go back at least to the 4th century BCE. Early Taoism drew its cosmological notions from the School of Yinyang, and was deeply influenced by one of the oldest texts of Chinese culture, the Yijing, which expounds a philosophical system about how to keep human behavior in accordance with the alternating cycles of nature.
- Taoism Category
- Taoist diet
- Baopuzi - The Baopuzi, written by the Jin dynasty scholar Ge Hong ??, is divided into esoteric Neipian ?? "Inner Chapters" and exoteric Waipian ?? "Outer Chapters". The Daoist Inner Chapters discuss topics such as techniques for xian ? "immortality; transcendence", Chinese alchemy, elixirs, and demonology.
- Daoyin - Tao yin is a series of exercises practiced by Taoists to cultivate ch'i, the internal energy of the body according to Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- Eastern philosophy - Eastern philosophy or Asian philosophy includes the various philosophies of South and East Asia, including Chinese philosophy, Indian philosophy, Buddhist philosophy, Korean philosophy, and Japanese philosophy.
- Chinese folk religion - Chinese folk religion or Han folk religion is the religious tradition of the Han people, including veneration of forces of nature and ancestors, exorcism of harmful forces, and a belief in the rational order of nature which can be influenced by human beings and their rulers as well as spirits and...
- Chinese ritual mastery traditions - Chinese ritual mastery traditions, also referred to as ritual teachings, or Folk Taoism, or also Red Taoism, constitute a large group of Chinese orders of ritual officers who operate within the Chinese folk religion but outside the institutions of official Taoism.
- Classical Chinese philosophy
- East Asian religions
- Philosophical traditions
- Chinese astrology
- The Abode of the Eternal Tao www
A collection of information on contemporary Taoism. Abode of the Eternal Tao.
- A Taoism and the Philosophy of Tai Chi Chuan www
A summary of the growth of Taoism and information on deities and major figures in both religious and philosophical Taoism. Taoism and the Philosophy of Tai Chi Chuan.
- Provides Taoism Initiation Page www
Provides teachings on Taoism and related concepts like tao, Initiation Page, yin-yang, wu, wu-wei and the I-ching. Includes online courses. Taoism Initiation Page.
- Directory Taoism Directory www
Directory of sites with content related to Taoism and Taoist issues. Taoism Directory.
- The Center for Daoist Studies www
The education and research branch of the Daoist Foundation, for Daoist Studies, a non-profit religious and educational organization, furthering research and education on the Daoist tradition. Mission statement, handbooks, articles, and links. Center for Daoist Studies.
- Short Taoism and the Arts of China www
Short essays, and the Arts of China, works of art, maps, diagrams, many other resources related to Taoism. Taoism and the Arts of China.
- A A Personal Tao www
A modern examination of Taoism. Personal Tao. Offers a guide in self exploration and discovery through a combination of art, poetry and literature. A Personal Tao.
- A Taoism and the Taoist Arts www
A general introduction to Taoism and related arts, and the Taoist Arts, such as T'ai Chi, Meditation, Martial Arts and Herbalism. Taoism and the Taoist Arts.
- I-Kuan True Tao Home Page www
I-Kuan Tao in English, Tao Home Page, Lao Tzu, Chuang Tzu and other great philosophers, monthly columns, articles on Tao teachings, stories and translations. True Tao Home Page.
- Healing Healing Tao USA Site www
Healing Tao USA is a private Educational Trust. Tao USA Site. It operates Healing Tao University and the HealingTaoUSA.com website and fulfillment center that sells a wide variety of Tao products. Healing Tao USA Site.
- Offers How to Do Taoism www
Offers free Taoist training and mentoring, Do Taoism, free online qi gong and answers Taoist questions. How to Do Taoism.
- Qigong Qigong and Daoist Training Center www
Qigong certification, and Daoist Training Center, classes and retreats. Qigong and Daoist Training Center.
- Explanation Taoism www
Explanation of Taoism as the way. Taoism. Covers both ancient and modern Taoism.
- Taoism Definition of Taoism www
Taoism is the second of the three state religions (San-kiao) of China. Definition of Taoism.
- Collection Chinese Painting www
Collection of art gathered together for a painting class, Painting, most of the works here are Taoist or show heavy Taoist influence. Chinese Painting.
- Conceptual Taoism and the Arts of China www
Conceptual and artistic achievements of the Taoist tradition, and the Arts of China, Includes works ranging in date from 500 BCE to 1800 CE. Taoism and the Arts of China.
- Nonsectarian The Tao Bums www
Nonsectarian discussion forum for Taoism, Tao Bums, qigong, tai chi, yoga, meditation and other practices. The Tao Bums.
- Discuss CenterTao: Taoist Thought, Discussions, and more www
Discuss Tao, Taoist Thought, Discussions, and more, Taoism, the Tao Te Ching, Buddhism and their applications to life. CenterTao: Taoist Thought, Discussions, and more.
- This Chinese Philosophy Page www
This site draws together a list of Chinese Philosophy resources available on the Internet. Chinese Philosophy Page.
- Published Journal of Chinese Philosophy www
Published on behalf of the International Society for Chinese Philosophy. Journal of Chinese Philosophy.
- Texts Eastern Wisdom, Sutras and Ancient Sacred texts www
Texts and sutras that make up eastern wisdom and mystical thought. Eastern Wisdom, Sutras and Ancient Sacred texts.
- References Meditation and Eastern Philosophy www
References and commentaries on works derived from Eastern religions including the Dhammapada and the Upanishads. Meditation and Eastern Philosophy.
- Offering Traditional Feng Shui www
Offering articles, Feng Shui, practitioner listings and links to feng shui educators. Traditional Feng Shui.
- Focuses Traditional Feng Shui www
Focuses on traditional Feng Shui and includes a "four pillars of destiny" chart for online access. Traditional Feng Shui.
- Online Belief System Selector www
Online questionnaire that rates religions by their compatibility with your beliefs. Belief System Selector.
- Online Serenity Beach www
Online spiritual retreat for encouragement, Beach, healing, spiritual growth. Serenity Beach.
- Alexa: Taoism Religion and Spirituality
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Taoism Religion and Spirituality
- DMOZ: Taoism Religion and Spirituality
dmoz.org Directory: Taoism Religion and Spirituality