Tao can be roughly translated into English as path. It is generally used in a more metaphysical sense within popular Taoism, however. Tao (Dao) is often seen as an insentient and unseen force, principle or system rather than a concrete or even metaphorical path. Taoists believe that the Tao is the source of all things, and thus Taoism is older than recorded history. The person usually attributed with having "reawakened" knowledge of the Tao is Lao Tzu (604?-531? BCE) a mysterious figure said to have been a librarian in the south of ancient China. Taoism is a philosophy but evolved into a religion about 140 CE and was later adopted as a state religion. At that time Lao Tzu became popularly venerated as a deity. Taoism Religion and Spirituality Society.
Taoism, also known as Daoism, is a religious, philosophical and ritual tradition of Chinese origin which emphasizes living in harmony with the Tao ( 道 , literally "Way", also romanized as Dao ). (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Taoism, also known as Daoism, is a religious or philosophical tradition of Chinese origin which emphasizes living in harmony with the Tao. The Tao is a fundamental idea in most Chinese philosophical schools; in Taoism, however, it denotes the principle that is the source, pattern and substance of everything that exists. Taoism differs from Confucianism by not emphasizing rigid rituals and social order. Taoist ethics vary depending on the particular school, but in general tend to emphasize wu wei, "naturalness", simplicity, spontaneity, and the Three Treasures: ? "compassion", ? "frugality", and ?????? "humility". The roots of Taoism go back at least to the 4th century BCE. Early Taoism drew its cosmological notions from the School of Yinyang, and was deeply influenced by one of the oldest texts of Chinese culture, the I Ching, which expounds a philosophical system about how to keep human behavior in accordance with the alternating cycles of nature.
- Taoism Category
- Taoist diet
- Baopuzi - The Baopuzi, written by the Jin dynasty scholar Ge Hong ??, is divided into esoteric Neipian ?? "Inner Chapters" and exoteric Waipian ?? "Outer Chapters". The Daoist Inner Chapters discuss topics such as techniques for xian ? "immortality; transcendence", Chinese alchemy, elixirs, and demonology.
- Daoyin - Tao yin is a series of exercises practiced by Taoists to cultivate ch'i, the internal energy of the body according to Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- Lie Yukou - Lie Yukou is considered the author of the Daoist book Liezi, which uses his honorific name Liezi. The second Chinese character in Yukou is written kou ? "bandit; enemy"; the first is written yu ? "imprison", yu ? "resist; ward off", or occasionally yu ? "drive; ride; control".
- Eastern philosophy - Eastern philosophy or Asian philosophy includes the various philosophies of East Asia, South Asia, and Buddhist philosophy.
- Chinese folk religion - Chinese folk religion or Han folk religion is the religious tradition of the Han people, including veneration of forces of nature and ancestors, exorcism of harmful forces, and a belief in the rational order of nature which can be influenced by human beings and their rulers as well as spirits and...
- Classical Chinese philosophy
- East Asian religions
- Philosophical traditions
- Chinese astrology
- The Abode of the Eternal Tao www
A collection of information on contemporary Taoism. Abode of the Eternal Tao.
- Healing Healing Tao USA Site www
Healing Tao USA is a private Educational Trust. Tao USA Site. It operates Healing Tao University and the HealingTaoUSA.com website and fulfillment center that sells a wide variety of Tao products. Healing Tao USA Site.
- A Taoism and the Philosophy of Tai Chi Chuan www
A summary of the growth of Taoism and information on deities and major figures in both religious and philosophical Taoism. Taoism and the Philosophy of Tai Chi Chuan.
- Qigong Qigong and Daoist Training Center www
Qigong certification, and Daoist Training Center, classes and retreats. Qigong and Daoist Training Center.
- A A Personal Tao www
A modern examination of Taoism. Personal Tao. Offers a guide in self exploration and discovery through a combination of art, poetry and literature. A Personal Tao.
- Directory Taoism Directory www
Directory of sites with content related to Taoism and Taoist issues. Taoism Directory.
- A Taoism and the Taoist Arts www
A general introduction to Taoism and related arts, and the Taoist Arts, such as T'ai Chi, Meditation, Martial Arts and Herbalism. Taoism and the Taoist Arts.
- Offers How to Do Taoism www
Offers free Taoist training and mentoring, Do Taoism, free online qi gong and answers Taoist questions. How to Do Taoism.
- I-Kuan True Tao Home Page www
I-Kuan Tao in English, Tao Home Page, Lao Tzu, Chuang Tzu and other great philosophers, monthly columns, articles on Tao teachings, stories and translations. True Tao Home Page.
- The Center for Daoist Studies www
The education and research branch of the Daoist Foundation, for Daoist Studies, a non-profit religious and educational organization, furthering research and education on the Daoist tradition. Mission statement, handbooks, articles, and links. Center for Daoist Studies.
- Provides Taoism Initiation Page www
Provides teachings on Taoism and related concepts like tao, Initiation Page, yin-yang, wu, wu-wei and the I-ching. Includes online courses. Taoism Initiation Page.
- Short Taoism and the Arts of China www
Short essays, and the Arts of China, works of art, maps, diagrams, many other resources related to Taoism. Taoism and the Arts of China.
- Ageless Taoism www
Ageless Wisdom for a Modern World. Taoism.
- Various Taoism by Dr. Russell Kirkland www
Various scholarly works on Taoism and a few other topics. Dr. Russell Kirkland. Scanned as gif images or in Adobe Acrobat format. Taoism by Dr. Russell Kirkland.
- Conceptual Taoism and the Arts of China www
Conceptual and artistic achievements of the Taoist tradition, and the Arts of China, Includes works ranging in date from 500 BCE to 1800 CE. Taoism and the Arts of China.
- Collection Chinese Painting www
Collection of art gathered together for a painting class, Painting, most of the works here are Taoist or show heavy Taoist influence. Chinese Painting.
- A Daoist Text Symposium www
A Yahoo group centering on opinions of ancient and modern Taoist texts. Daoist Text Symposium.
- Centering Healing Tao USA Discussion www
Centering on Taoist healing arts and practices. Healing Tao USA Discussion.
- A Chinese Text Project www
A web-based e-text system which presents complete texts of Chinese philosophy together with their English translations in a structured, Text Project, cross-referenced, and searchable form. Chinese Text Project.
- Portal Chinese Philosophy www
Portal to this philosophy. Philosophy. Includes an anthology of texts. Chinese Philosophy.
- Links Spiritual Traditions of China www
Links and resources regarding Chinese philosophy and religion. Spiritual Traditions of China.
- Texts Eastern Wisdom, Sutras and Ancient Sacred texts www
Texts and sutras that make up eastern wisdom and mystical thought. Eastern Wisdom, Sutras and Ancient Sacred texts.
- Scholarly Professor Field's Fengshui Gate www
Scholarly essays by Dr. Field's Fengshui Gate. Stephen Field, and automated readings by Master Ten Li. Professor Field's Fengshui Gate.
- How Using Ancient Secrets to Sell Your Home Faster www
How traditional feng shui beliefs affect the real estate market in modern Taiwan. Using Ancient Secrets to Sell Your Home Faster.
- Online Serenity Beach www
Online spiritual retreat for encouragement, Beach, healing, spiritual growth. Serenity Beach.
- Online Belief System Selector www
Online questionnaire that rates religions by their compatibility with your beliefs. Belief System Selector.
- Alexa: Taoism Religion and Spirituality
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Taoism Religion and Spirituality
- DMOZ: Taoism Religion and Spirituality
dmoz.org Directory: Taoism Religion and Spirituality