The word 'shaman' comes from the Tungus language in Siberia. The term refers to the spiritual leaders of certain societies, usually small-scale societies without centralized political organizations and occupational specialization. The shaman's primary function is to serve as an intermediary between his or her community and the spirit world. He has direct contact with the spirit world through trance states, uses the trance state for healing, bewitching and divining for his people, and uses his connections to spirits to achieve good or evil goals. Because of this perceived power, he is often the most feared person in the society. The techniques used in shamanic religions have been adopted by individuals and groups of non-shamanic societies seeking access to the spirit world. Shamanism Religion and Spirituality Society.
The word "shaman" probably originates from the Tungusic Evenki language of North Asia. According to ethnolinguist Juha Janhunen, "the word is attested in all of the Tungusic idioms" such as Negidal, Lamut, Udehe/Orochi, Nanai, Ilcha, Orok, Manchu and Ulcha, and "nothing seems to contradict the assumption that the meaning 'shaman' also derives from Proto-Tungusic" and may have roots that extend back in time at least two millennia. (wikipedia)
- Bon-Po (Religion and Spirituality)
- Wikipedia: Shamanism is a practice that involves a practitioner reaching altered states of consciousness in order to perceive and interact with a spirit world and channel these transcendental energies into this world.
- Shamanism Category
- Carlos Castaneda - Carlos Castaneda was an American author with a Ph.D. in anthropology.
- Folk healer - A folk healer is an unlicensed person who practices the art of healing using traditional practices, herbal remedies and even the power of suggestion. A folk healer may be a highly trained person who pursues their specialties, learning by study, observation and imitation.
- Folk magic - In religious studies and folkloristics, folk religion, popular religion, or vernacular religion comprises various forms and expressions of religion that are distinct from the official doctrines and practices of organized religion. The precise definition of folk religion varies among scholars.
- Neoshamanism - Neoshamanism refers to "new"' forms of shamanism, or methods of seeking visions or healing. Neoshamanism comprises an eclectic range of beliefs and practices that involve attempts to attain altered states and communicate with a spirit world.
- Neuroanthropology - Neuroanthropology is the study of the relationship between culture and the brain.
- Alternative medical systems
- Anthropology of religion
- Supernatural healing
- List Sacred Hoop Magazine www
List of contents of this UK magazine on Shamanism, Hoop Magazine, Animism, earth wisdom, native spirituality and ecology, with some material online. Also shopping. Sacred Hoop Magazine.
- A Shamanic Ecstasy www
A general overview of shamanism plus newsgroup FAQs. Ecstasy. Includes information on ayahuasca and other shamanic hallucinogens. Shamanic Ecstasy.
- Describes Metista Teachings and Techniques www
Describes the path of Metista including tools, Teachings and Techniques, practices, prayers, and rites. Metista Teachings and Techniques.
- A Shamanism FAQs www
A collection of FAQs regarding shamanism. Shamanism FAQs.
- A The Foundation for Shamanic Studies www
A non profit educational organization founded by Michael Harner. Foundation for Shamanic Studies. Includes the Way of the Shaman Basic Workshop, Advanced Shamanic Training, Books, Videos and Tapes. The Foundation for Shamanic Studies.
- Provides Shaman Links www
Provides educational information and links to information on shamanism. Links. Also links to shamanic practitioners, teachers, and teaching organizations listed by city and state or country. Shaman Links.
- The Dance of the Deer Foundation www
The mission is to preserve the Huichol culture and its shamanic practices and traditions. the Deer Foundation. Features Huichol history, information about the foundation and details on seminars and retreats. Dance of the Deer Foundation.
- Shamanic The Raven Lodge www
Shamanic resource center for shamanic and personal development with details of a home study course, Raven Lodge, bookstore, craft-work section, news-letter, down-loads section and articles. The Raven Lodge.
- Dedicated Den of ZaWolfSpirit www
Dedicated to shamanism in all its aspects, ZaWolfSpirit, with a penchant towards Wolf. Den of ZaWolfSpirit.
- Teaches Path Of The Feather www
Teaches techniques of shamanic journeys and the use of medicine wheels and spirit animals. Path Of The Feather.
- Historical Ligmincha Institute www
Historical information on the Bon tradition; teaching, Institute, retreat and event schedules; biographies of leading Lamas of the tradition; and educational resources. Ligmincha Institute.
- Introduction Frontline: Dreams of Tibet - Bon www
Introduction to Tibetan religious traditions focusing on Bon. Frontline: Dreams of Tibet - Bon.
- An Assemblage Point www
An account of a dreaming which caused reflections on western culture and the concept of the assemblage point discussed in the works of Castaneda. Assemblage Point.
- A Sustained Action www
A web site devoted to exploring and evaluating the legacy of Carlos Castaneda, Action, and to investigating other possibilities for increased awareness and expanded perception. Sustained Action.
- A Circle of the Sacred Earth www
A shamanic church founded in 1990 offering religious ceremonies both traditional and non-traditional, the Sacred Earth, spiritual healing, and training in shamanism. Ministers are in 20+ states and 6 foreign countries. Circle of the Sacred Earth.
- Spiritual Melinda Rodriguez www
Spiritual counselor and shamanic practitioner. Rodriguez. Offers certification courses and one-on-one mentoring. Melinda Rodriguez.
- Extensive The Neopagan and Occult Divination Archive www
Extensive directory of information about divination from a neopagan and occult perspective. Neopagan and Occult Divination Archive. FTP site. The Neopagan and Occult Divination Archive.
- Offers Light Oracle www
Offers Suvital distance treatment retreats, Oracle, past life regression, numerology, Tarot, and astrology readings. Contains rates and articles. Light Oracle.
- Shamanic Dancing Bear Way www
Shamanic healing practices from a variety of traditions along with several New Age practices are described. Dancing Bear Way.
- Native Healing through the spirit www
Native American healing, through the spirit, stones, hands on, energy work, massage, sundancer, Balckfeet, Cherokee, time regression Healing through the spirit.
- Short Faces in Shamanism of Korea www
Short article discussing Korean shamans' visual depictions of deities. Faces in Shamanism of Korea.
- Introduction Christianity and Shamanism: First International Consultation www
Introduction and seven chapters about shamanism and Christianity. and Shamanism: First International Consultation. Focuses on the relation between Christian doctrine and shamanism in Korean and Yakut cultures. Christianity and Shamanism: First International Consultation.
- Online Serenity Beach www
Online spiritual retreat for encouragement, Beach, healing, spiritual growth. Serenity Beach.
- Online Belief System Selector www
Online questionnaire that rates religions by their compatibility with your beliefs. Belief System Selector.
- Alexa: Shamanism Religion and Spirituality
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Shamanism Religion and Spirituality
- DMOZ: Shamanism Religion and Spirituality
dmoz.org Directory: Shamanism Religion and Spirituality