Most religions have particular writings that they regard as sacred or in some way inspirational. These texts may prescribe religious law, describe historical events, document prophecies, or record words of praise. Some texts have an appeal outside of the religion that considers them sacred and are regarded more generally as important works of literature. This section provides links to religious texts by name, where there is a section specifically dealing with a named text, and by religious tradition. Sites listed here mostly provide links to online religious texts from multiple religious traditions. Religious Texts Religion and Spirituality Society.
- Wikipedia: Religious texts are texts which religious traditions consider to be central to their practice or beliefs. Religious texts may be used to provide meaning and purpose, evoke a deeper connection with the divine, convey religious truths, promote religious experience, foster communal identity, and guide individual and communal religious practice. Religious texts often communicate the practices or values of a religious traditions and can be looked to as a set of guiding principles which dictate physical, mental, spiritual, or historical elements considered important to a specific religion. The terms 'sacred' text and 'religious' text are not necessarily interchangeable in that some religious texts are believed to be sacred because of their nature as divinely or supernaturally revealed or inspired, whereas some religious texts are simply narratives pertaining to the general themes, practices, or important figures of the specific religion, and not necessarily considered sacred by itself.
- Religion-related lists
- Religious bibliographies
- Religious texts
- Links Beliefnet: Sacred Texts www
Links to a wide selection of full texts, Sacred Texts, including Baha'i sacred writings, the Dhammapada, Confucian Analects, Tao-Te Ching, several versions of the Bible, Hadith, Sunnah, and Wiccan and neo-pagan texts. Beliefnet: Sacred Texts.
- Gathering World Prayers www
Gathering the great prayers from spiritual traditions around the world into a common archive. World Prayers.
- Brief Holy Books of the World www
Brief descriptions of a selection of mostly historic religious texts. Books of the World. No links to actual texts. Holy Books of the World.
- The World Religious Texts www
The Golden Rule in various religions. World Religious Texts.
- KJV Religious Resources: Electronic Texts www
KJV and RSV Bible, Resources: Electronic Texts, Book of Mormon, and Koran, from the Electronic Text Center at the University of Virginia. Religious Resources: Electronic Texts.
- Online Points to Click: Religious Texts Online www
Online Journalism Review article on finding online religious texts. Points to Click: Religious Texts Online.
- Collection Online Bibles and Religious Texts www
Collection of links to online texts; mostly Biblical but also includes links for the Koran and Book of Mormon. Online Bibles and Religious Texts.
- Archive Internet Sacred Text Archive www
Archive of primary texts relating to all major world religions and many other spiritual practices, Sacred Text Archive, including all major scriptures and hundreds of other documents. Documents are public domain English translations and original languages. Internet Sacred Text Archive.
- Online Hesiod, the Homeric Hymns and Homerica, The Theogony www
Online Medieval and Classical Library text file. Hesiod, the Homeric Hymns and Homerica, The Theogony.
- University Structure of Hesiod's Theogony www
University of Pennsylvania annotated course notes on Hesiod's Theogony. Structure of Hesiod's Theogony.
- Online Baha'i Distribution Service, U.S. www
Online bookstore of the Bahá'ís of the United States. Distribution Service, U.S.. Catalogue, contacts and subscription forms. Baha'i Distribution Service, U.S..
- Cyber Online book - Near-Death-Experience & the Baha'i Faith www
Cyber edition of "Light After Death". book - Near-Death-Experience & the Baha'i Faith. Explores the Baha'i teachings on the afterlife as they may relate to the 'Near Death Experience'. Online book - Near-Death-Experience & the Baha'i Faith.
- Edition Bhagavad Gita As It Is www
Edition by A. Gita As It Is.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada with transliteration and meaning of the Sanskrit verses. Bhagavad Gita As It Is.
- E-text The Bhagavad Gita www
E-text of the Bhagavad Gita, Bhagavad Gita, and the Sanatsugatiya and Anugita. A translation from the 19th century. The Bhagavad Gita.
- FAQ Biblica: Frequently Asked Questions About the Bible www
FAQ with 21 common questions. Frequently Asked Questions About the Bible. Written by Dr. Eugene Rubingh, retired V.P. of Translation for the International Bible Society. Biblica: Frequently Asked Questions About the Bible.
- Bible Shepherd's Fold www
Bible verses and quotes covering a range of different topics. Shepherd's Fold.
- Sutra Kayagata-sati Sutta www
Sutra on Mindfulness immersing in the body. Kayagata-sati Sutta.
- On Culasunnata Sutta www
On Voidness (sunyata) - the quintessence of Buddhism. Culasunnata Sutta.
- Etext Egyptian Book of the Dead (Budge 1895) www
Etext of the Budge translation of the Egyptian Book of the Dead. Book of the Dead (Budge 1895). Includes other etexts on the subject of Egyptian Religion. Egyptian Book of the Dead (Budge 1895).
- Etext Hymn to the Nile www
Etext of hymn c. the Nile. 2100 BCE, from the Ancient History Sourcebook. Hymn to the Nile.
- Online Serenity Beach www
Online spiritual retreat for encouragement, Beach, healing, spiritual growth. Serenity Beach.
- Online Belief System Selector www
Online questionnaire that rates religions by their compatibility with your beliefs. Belief System Selector.
- Alexa: Religious Texts Religion and Spirituality
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Religious Texts Religion and Spirituality
- DMOZ: Religious Texts Religion and Spirituality
dmoz.org Directory: Religious Texts Religion and Spirituality