Most religions have particular writings that they regard as sacred or in some way inspirational. These texts may prescribe religious law, describe historical events, document prophecies, or record words of praise. Some texts have an appeal outside of the religion that considers them sacred and are regarded more generally as important works of literature. This section provides links to religious texts by name, where there is a section specifically dealing with a named text, and by religious tradition. Sites listed here mostly provide links to online religious texts from multiple religious traditions. Religious Texts Religion and Spirituality Society.
- Wikipedia: Religious texts are texts which religious traditions consider to be central to their practice or beliefs. Religious texts may be used to provide meaning and purpose, evoke a deeper connection with the divine, convey religious truths, promote religious experience, foster communal identity, and guide individual and communal religious practice. Religious texts often communicate the practices or values of a religious traditions and can be looked to as a set of guiding principles which dictate physical, mental, spiritual, or historical elements considered important to a specific religion. The terms 'sacred' text and 'religious' text are not necessarily interchangeable in that some religious texts are believed to be sacred because of their nature as divinely or supernaturally revealed or inspired, whereas some religious texts are simply narratives pertaining to the general themes, practices, or important figures of the specific religion, and not necessarily considered sacred by itself.
- Religion-related lists
- Religious bibliographies
- Religious texts
- Collection Online Bibles and Religious Texts www
Collection of links to online texts; mostly Biblical but also includes links for the Koran and Book of Mormon. Online Bibles and Religious Texts.
- KJV Religious Resources: Electronic Texts www
KJV and RSV Bible, Resources: Electronic Texts, Book of Mormon, and Koran, from the Electronic Text Center at the University of Virginia. Religious Resources: Electronic Texts.
- Archive Internet Sacred Text Archive www
Archive of primary texts relating to all major world religions and many other spiritual practices, Sacred Text Archive, including all major scriptures and hundreds of other documents. Documents are public domain English translations and original languages. Internet Sacred Text Archive.
- The World Religious Texts www
The Golden Rule in various religions. World Religious Texts.
- Online Points to Click: Religious Texts Online www
Online Journalism Review article on finding online religious texts. Points to Click: Religious Texts Online.
- Links Beliefnet: Sacred Texts www
Links to a wide selection of full texts, Sacred Texts, including Baha'i sacred writings, the Dhammapada, Confucian Analects, Tao-Te Ching, several versions of the Bible, Hadith, Sunnah, and Wiccan and neo-pagan texts. Beliefnet: Sacred Texts.
- Gathering World Prayers www
Gathering the great prayers from spiritual traditions around the world into a common archive. World Prayers.
- Brief Holy Books of the World www
Brief descriptions of a selection of mostly historic religious texts. Books of the World. No links to actual texts. Holy Books of the World.
- University Structure of Hesiod's Theogony www
University of Pennsylvania annotated course notes on Hesiod's Theogony. Structure of Hesiod's Theogony.
- Online Hesiod, the Homeric Hymns and Homerica, The Theogony www
Online Medieval and Classical Library text file. Hesiod, the Homeric Hymns and Homerica, The Theogony.
- Online Baha'i Distribution Service, U.S. www
Online bookstore of the Bahá'ís of the United States. Distribution Service, U.S.. Catalogue, contacts and subscription forms. Baha'i Distribution Service, U.S..
- The International Bahá'í Library www
The International Bahá'í Library, Bahá'í Library, Haifa, Israel, is the largest repository of published items by and about the Bábí and Bahá'í religions and community. International Bahá'í Library.
- Features Bhagavad Gita www
Features audio and video clips, Gita, links, discourses, practical examples and humorous anecdotes. Bhagavad Gita.
- Verses The Gita Space www
Verses and teachings of Gita. Gita Space. Includes comments by various acharyas and a list of books. The Gita Space.
- An Teach Me the Bible www
An introduction to the Bible and basic Christian beliefs. Teach Me the Bible.
- Studies Light unto My Path www
Studies in Genesis, unto My Path, Mark, and a variety of Bible topics with references from the King James Version. E-mail newsletter and online archive. [Requires Java] Light unto My Path.
- The Samyutta Nikaya www
The third division of the Sutta Pitaka, Nikaya, contains 2,889 suttas grouped into five sections (vaggas). Samyutta Nikaya.
- The Bhumija Sutta www
The discourse to Bhumija. Bhumija Sutta.
- Etext Egyptian Book of the Dead (Budge 1895) www
Etext of the Budge translation of the Egyptian Book of the Dead. Book of the Dead (Budge 1895). Includes other etexts on the subject of Egyptian Religion. Egyptian Book of the Dead (Budge 1895).
- Online Papyrus of Ani; Egyptian Book of the Dead www
Online text translated by E. Ani; Egyptian Book of the Dead. A. Wallis Budge. One large text file. Papyrus of Ani; Egyptian Book of the Dead.
- Online Serenity Beach www
Online spiritual retreat for encouragement, Beach, healing, spiritual growth. Serenity Beach.
- Online Belief System Selector www
Online questionnaire that rates religions by their compatibility with your beliefs. Belief System Selector.
- Alexa: Religious Texts Religion and Spirituality
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Religious Texts Religion and Spirituality
- DMOZ: Religious Texts Religion and Spirituality
dmoz.org Directory: Religious Texts Religion and Spirituality