Most religions have particular writings that they regard as sacred or in some way inspirational. These texts may prescribe religious law, describe historical events, document prophecies, or record words of praise. Some texts have an appeal outside of the religion that considers them sacred and are regarded more generally as important works of literature. This section provides links to religious texts by name, where there is a section specifically dealing with a named text, and by religious tradition. Sites listed here mostly provide links to online religious texts from multiple religious traditions. Religious Texts Religion and Spirituality Society.
- Wikipedia: Religious texts are texts which religious traditions consider to be central to their practice or beliefs. Religious texts may be used to provide meaning and purpose, evoke a deeper connection with the divine, convey religious truths, promote religious experience, foster communal identity, and guide individual and communal religious practice. Religious texts often communicate the practices or values of a religious traditions and can be looked to as a set of guiding principles which dictate physical, mental, spiritual, or historical elements considered important to a specific religion. The terms 'sacred' text and 'religious' text are not necessarily interchangeable in that some religious texts are believed to be sacred because of their nature as divinely or supernaturally revealed or inspired, whereas some religious texts are simply narratives pertaining to the general themes, practices, or important figures of the specific religion, and not necessarily considered sacred by itself.
- Religion-related lists
- Religious bibliographies
- Religious texts
- Crosswalk: Bible Study Tools www
Resources for conducting word, Bible Study Tools, verse, and topic searches in many Bible versions, Greek and Hebrew lexicons, commentaries, concordances, and biblical dictionaries. Includes church history and sermon helps.
- Gathering World Prayers www
Gathering the great prayers from spiritual traditions around the world into a common archive. World Prayers.
- Archive Internet Sacred Text Archive www
Archive of primary texts relating to all major world religions and many other spiritual practices, Sacred Text Archive, including all major scriptures and hundreds of other documents. Documents are public domain English translations and original languages. Internet Sacred Text Archive.
- Collection Online Bibles and Religious Texts www
Collection of links to online texts; mostly Biblical but also includes links for the Koran and Book of Mormon. Online Bibles and Religious Texts.
- Online Points to Click: Religious Texts Online www
Online Journalism Review article on finding online religious texts. Points to Click: Religious Texts Online.
- Links Beliefnet: Sacred Texts www
Links to a wide selection of full texts, Sacred Texts, including Baha'i sacred writings, the Dhammapada, Confucian Analects, Tao-Te Ching, several versions of the Bible, Hadith, Sunnah, and Wiccan and neo-pagan texts. Beliefnet: Sacred Texts.
- KJV Religious Resources: Electronic Texts www
KJV and RSV Bible, Resources: Electronic Texts, Book of Mormon, and Koran, from the Electronic Text Center at the University of Virginia. Religious Resources: Electronic Texts.
- Brief Holy Books of the World www
Brief descriptions of a selection of mostly historic religious texts. Books of the World. No links to actual texts. Holy Books of the World.
- The World Religious Texts www
The Golden Rule in various religions. World Religious Texts.
- Online Hesiod, the Homeric Hymns and Homerica, The Theogony www
Online Medieval and Classical Library text file. Hesiod, the Homeric Hymns and Homerica, The Theogony.
- University Structure of Hesiod's Theogony www
University of Pennsylvania annotated course notes on Hesiod's Theogony. Structure of Hesiod's Theogony.
- Prayers Baha'i Prayers www
Prayers of Baha'u'llah, Prayers, Abdul-Baha and The Bab, accompanied by photographs from nature, may be found in this quiet place of devotion. Baha'i Prayers.
- Cyber Online book - Near-Death-Experience & the Baha'i Faith www
Cyber edition of "Light After Death". book - Near-Death-Experience & the Baha'i Faith. Explores the Baha'i teachings on the afterlife as they may relate to the 'Near Death Experience'. Online book - Near-Death-Experience & the Baha'i Faith.
- Articles Shree Bhagwad Gita www
Articles about the Hindu text Bhagwad Gita ("Song of the Lord"), Bhagwad Gita, written circa 3000 B.C. Shree Bhagwad Gita.
- Read The Bhagavad Gita: The Divine Song of God www
Read the entire Bhagavad Gita online and hear the original sanskrit verses sung in traditional melodies. Bhagavad Gita: The Divine Song of God. Audio files in MP3 format. The Bhagavad Gita: The Divine Song of God.
- How Officers' Christian Fellowship: Leading Small Groups www
How to lead a small group Bible study. Christian Fellowship: Leading Small Groups. Although written for officers in the military, it has general advice good for any small group. Includes advice on handling disruptions, and dividing as the group grows. Officers' Christian Fellowship: Leading Small Groups.
- Sutra Sabbasava Sutta www
Sutra on All the Fermentations (thoughts that arise in mind). Sabbasava Sutta.
- The Sammaditthi Sutta www
The Discourse on Right View Sammaditthi Sutta.
- Etext Hymn to the Nile www
Etext of hymn c. the Nile. 2100 BCE, from the Ancient History Sourcebook. Hymn to the Nile.
- Etext Egyptian Book of the Dead (Budge 1895) www
Etext of the Budge translation of the Egyptian Book of the Dead. Book of the Dead (Budge 1895). Includes other etexts on the subject of Egyptian Religion. Egyptian Book of the Dead (Budge 1895).
- Online Serenity Beach www
Online spiritual retreat for encouragement, Beach, healing, spiritual growth. Serenity Beach.
- Online Belief System Selector www
Online questionnaire that rates religions by their compatibility with your beliefs. Belief System Selector.
- Alexa: Religious Texts Religion and Spirituality
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Religious Texts Religion and Spirituality
- DMOZ: Religious Texts Religion and Spirituality
dmoz.org Directory: Religious Texts Religion and Spirituality