The Religious Studies section contains academic sites, references on primary sources (such as texts from various religious traditions), and other resources for the study of religions from an objective or comparative viewpoint. Sites that emphasize the study of a particular religion by adherents of that religion are classified with that religion. Religious Studies Religion and Spirituality Society.
While theology attempts to understand the nature of transcendent or supernatural forces (such as deities ), religious studies tries to study religious behavior and belief from outside any particular religious viewpoint. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Religious studies, alternately known as the study of religion, is an academic field devoted to research into religious beliefs, behaviors, and institutions. It describes, compares, interprets, and explains religion, emphasizing systematic, historically based, and cross-cultural perspectives. While theology attempts to understand the nature of transcendent or supernatural forces, religious studies tries to study religious behavior and belief from outside any particular religious viewpoint. Religious studies draws upon multiple disciplines and their methodologies including anthropology, sociology, psychology, philosophy, and history of religion. Religious studies originated in the 19th century, when scholarly and historical analysis of the Bible had flourished, and Hindu and Buddhist texts were first being translated into European languages. Early influential scholars included Friedrich Max M ller, in England, and Cornelius P. Tiele, in the Netherlands.
- Religious studies Category
- Academic disciplines
- Description Religions, Faith Groups, and Ethical Systems www
Description of various religions and ethical systems, Faith Groups, and Ethical Systems, including Christian denominations, provided by Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance. Religions, Faith Groups, and Ethical Systems.
- Overviews Exploring Religions www
Overviews of Buddhism, Religions, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, and Judaism. Includes an extensive crosslinked glossary for each religion. Exploring Religions.
- Consortium Canadian Corporation for Studies in Religion www
Consortium of Canadian academic societies. Corporation for Studies in Religion. News, articles, job listings; directories of Canadian researchers, journals, and academic departments. Canadian Corporation for Studies in Religion.
- Resources Bible History Online Images and Resource Links www
Resources for study of the Bible and the ancient world. History Online Images and Resource Links. Maps, timelines, images, software, links. Bible History Online Images and Resource Links.
- The University of Pennsylvania www
The academic study of religion examines how the beliefs and values of contemporary and historical cultures shape and are shaped by societal factors, Pennsylvania, long-standing traditions, and distinctive forms of literary and artistic expression. University of Pennsylvania.
- The Duke University www
The Department of Religion is one of the largest Humanities departments at Duke and one of the most prestigious departments of religion in the entire country. University. The Department offers instruction in all the major religions, notably Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, and Hinduism. Duke University.
- Saundra Religious Studies Web Guide www
Saundra Lipton's collection of free internet resources for academic researchers. Studies Web Guide. Includes denomination and subject specific resources, together with listings of bibliographies, journals, listservs, and software. Religious Studies Web Guide.
- Gene Religious Worlds www
Gene Thursby's extensive collection of information and links for the study and interpretation of religions. Worlds. Categories include religious traditions, religious studies programs, teaching resources, and religious experiences. Religious Worlds.
- References Meditation and Eastern Philosophy www
References and commentaries on works derived from Eastern religions including the Dhammapada and the Upanishads. Meditation and Eastern Philosophy.
- Texts Eastern Wisdom, Sutras and Ancient Sacred texts www
Texts and sutras that make up eastern wisdom and mystical thought. Eastern Wisdom, Sutras and Ancient Sacred texts.
- The The Institute of Ismaili Studies www
The Institute of Ismaili Studies promotes scholarship and learning on Islam, Institute of Ismaili Studies, with an emphasis on Shi'ism in general and its Ismaili Tariqah in particular. Includes information on research and teaching programs, publications and events. The Institute of Ismaili Studies.
- The Study of Islam www
The American Academy of Religion maintains listings of opportunities for graduate study and research into Islam. Study of Islam.
- Print History of Religions www
Print journal. Religions. Subscription information and Table of Contents only. History of Religions.
- Experimental The Strip www
Experimental e-journal produced by U. Strip. of Colorado graduate students in Religious Studies makes striking use of hypertext. The Strip.
- Full Prime Time Preachers www
Full text of book by Jeffrey K. Time Preachers. Hadden and Charles E. Swann, published 1982. A look at the rise of televangelism, and a snapshot of the New Religious Right circa late 1980. Prime Time Preachers.
- Collection Festshchrift in Honor of Charles Speel www
Collection of essays on religion, Honor of Charles Speel, ministry, and education from a Christian perspective. Festshchrift in Honor of Charles Speel.
- Online Belief System Selector www
Online questionnaire that rates religions by their compatibility with your beliefs. Belief System Selector.
- Online Serenity Beach www
Online spiritual retreat for encouragement, Beach, healing, spiritual growth. Serenity Beach.
- Alexa: Religious Studies Religion and Spirituality
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Religious Studies Religion and Spirituality
- DMOZ: Religious Studies Religion and Spirituality
dmoz.org Directory: Religious Studies Religion and Spirituality