The Religious Studies section contains academic sites, references on primary sources (such as texts from various religious traditions), and other resources for the study of religions from an objective or comparative viewpoint. Sites that emphasize the study of a particular religion by adherents of that religion are classified with that religion. Religious Studies Religion and Spirituality Society.
While theology attempts to understand the nature of transcendent or supernatural forces (such as deities ), religious studies tries to study religious behavior and belief from outside any particular religious viewpoint. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Religious studies, alternately known as the study of religion, is an academic field devoted to research into religious beliefs, behaviors, and institutions. It describes, compares, interprets, and explains religion, emphasizing systematic, historically based, and cross-cultural perspectives. While theology attempts to understand the nature of transcendent or supernatural forces, religious studies tries to study religious behavior and belief from outside any particular religious viewpoint. Religious studies draws upon multiple disciplines and their methodologies including anthropology, sociology, psychology, philosophy, and history of religion. Religious studies originated in the 19th century, when scholarly and historical analysis of the Bible had flourished, and Hindu and Buddhist texts were first being translated into European languages. Early influential scholars included Friedrich Max M ller, in England, and Cornelius P. Tiele, in the Netherlands.
- Religious studies Category
- Academic disciplines
- Resources Bible History Online Images and Resource Links www
Resources for study of the Bible and the ancient world. History Online Images and Resource Links. Maps, timelines, images, software, links. Bible History Online Images and Resource Links.
- Overviews Exploring Religions www
Overviews of Buddhism, Religions, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, and Judaism. Includes an extensive crosslinked glossary for each religion. Exploring Religions.
- Description Religions, Faith Groups, and Ethical Systems www
Description of various religions and ethical systems, Faith Groups, and Ethical Systems, including Christian denominations, provided by Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance. Religions, Faith Groups, and Ethical Systems.
- Consortium Canadian Corporation for Studies in Religion www
Consortium of Canadian academic societies. Corporation for Studies in Religion. News, articles, job listings; directories of Canadian researchers, journals, and academic departments. Canadian Corporation for Studies in Religion.
- The Stanford University www
The purpose of Religious Studies is to understand and interpret the history, University, literature, thought, and social structures of various religious traditions and cultures. The department offers courses at the undergraduate and graduate level in the fields Asian Religions, Christianity, Judaism, Ethics and Philosophy of Religion, and Religion, Cultures, and Comparative Studies. The department offers programs in bachelor's, master's, and Ph.D. degrees. Stanford University.
- The University of California, Riverside www
The Department of Religious Studies provides an opportunity to study diverse religious traditions of the world. California, Riverside. Students are able to examine texts, symbols, myths, rituals, ideas, values, institutions, and intellectual (theological, philosophical, and ethical) systems of many traditions, such as Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, African and Native American religions. Religion is studied empathetically, descriptively, and critically with the aid of historical, exegetical, literary, philosoph University of California, Riverside.
- Personal WorldReligionProf.com www
Personal pages of Dr Raeburn Wallen. WorldReligionProf.com. Biography, and large link selection categorized by religion. WorldReligionProf.com.
- Saundra Religious Studies Web Guide www
Saundra Lipton's collection of free internet resources for academic researchers. Studies Web Guide. Includes denomination and subject specific resources, together with listings of bibliographies, journals, listservs, and software. Religious Studies Web Guide.
- References Meditation and Eastern Philosophy www
References and commentaries on works derived from Eastern religions including the Dhammapada and the Upanishads. Meditation and Eastern Philosophy.
- An The Utnapishtim Sequel www
An autobiographical novel and dissertation covering India-West affairs and a variety of topics. The Utnapishtim Sequel.
- A Islamic Studies Resources www
A comprehensive, Studies Resources, non-polemical, non-sectarian academic resource on Islam designed for students, scholars, and the general public. Islamic Studies Resources.
- Information Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies www
Information about OCIS academic programmes, Centre for Islamic Studies, fellowships, scholarships, seminars and public lectures as well as its "Journal of Islamic Studies". Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies.
- Print Religion www
Print journal that offers partial online access. Religion.
- An Journal of Religion and Popular Culture www
An online, Religion and Popular Culture, peer-reviewed journal publishing articles and book reviews that explore the relationship between religion and contemporary popular culture. Journal of Religion and Popular Culture.
- Full Prime Time Preachers www
Full text of book by Jeffrey K. Time Preachers. Hadden and Charles E. Swann, published 1982. A look at the rise of televangelism, and a snapshot of the New Religious Right circa late 1980. Prime Time Preachers.
- Collection Festshchrift in Honor of Charles Speel www
Collection of essays on religion, Honor of Charles Speel, ministry, and education from a Christian perspective. Festshchrift in Honor of Charles Speel.
- Online Belief System Selector www
Online questionnaire that rates religions by their compatibility with your beliefs. Belief System Selector.
- Online Serenity Beach www
Online spiritual retreat for encouragement, Beach, healing, spiritual growth. Serenity Beach.
- Alexa: Religious Studies Religion and Spirituality
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Religious Studies Religion and Spirituality
- DMOZ: Religious Studies Religion and Spirituality
dmoz.org Directory: Religious Studies Religion and Spirituality