The sites listed in this section provide historical information and resources related to All Saints' Day. All Saints' Day is a Christian holy day observed by many Western churches on November 1 and by Eastern churches on the first Sunday after Pentecost. The day now honors all saints of the church, even those not known by name. All Saints' Day Calendar Christianity Religion and Spirituality Society.
All Saints' Day, also known as All Hallows, Day of All the Saints, Solemnity of All Saints, or Feast of All Saints is a festival celebrated on 1 November by the Latin Church of the Roman Catholic Church and some other Western Christian traditions, and on the first Sunday after Pentecost in Eastern Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy, in honour of all the saints, known and unknown. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: All Saints' Day, also known as All Hallows' Day, Hallowmas, Feast of All Saints, or Solemnity of All Saints, is a Christian festival celebrated in honour of all the saints, known and unknown. In Western Christianity, it is celebrated on 1 November by the Roman Catholic Church, the Anglican Communion, the Methodist Church, the Lutheran Church, and other Protestant churches. The Eastern Orthodox Church and associated Eastern Catholic churches celebrate it on the first Sunday after Pentecost. Oriental Orthodox churches of Chaldea and associated Eastern Catholic churches celebrate All Saints' Day on the first Friday after Easter.
- 1755 Lisbon earthquake which occurred on this day and had a great effect on society and philosophy.
- Dziady - Dziady is an ancient Slavic feast commemorating the dead ancestors. The Polish word means "grandfathers".
- Irish calendar - The Gaelic calendar or Irish calendar is the Julian calendar as it was in use in Gaelic Ireland, but also incorporating Irish cultural festivals and views of the division of the seasons, presumably inherited from earlier Celtic calendar traditions.
- Litany of the Saints - The Litany of the Saints is a formal prayer of the Roman Catholic Church and Western Rite Orthodox communities.
- Veneration of the dead - The veneration of the dead, including one's ancestors, is based on love and respect for the deceased. In some cultures, it is related to beliefs that the dead have a continued existence, and may possess the ability to influence the fortune of the living.
- Public holidays in Croatia
- Observances honoring the dead
- November observances
- An All Saints Day www
An adult reflects on the All Saints' Days she celebrated as a child. All Saints Day.
- Short CNP Articles - All Saints' Day www
Short article relates the holiday's origins. Articles - All Saints' Day. Taken from The Catholic Encyclopedia. CNP Articles - All Saints' Day.
- Brief The Meaning and Origin of All Saints Day www
Brief description of the holiday and listing of denominations that observe it. The Meaning and Origin of All Saints Day.
- Explores Catholic Encyclopedia: All Saints Day www
Explores the origins of the holiday. Catholic Encyclopedia: All Saints Day.
- Examines Halloween www
Examines how All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day provide the religious foundation of Halloween. Halloween.
- Explains American Catholic: All Hallow's Eve www
Explains the Christian roots of Halloween, Catholic: All Hallow's Eve, offers a Christian All Hallows Eve e-card and the Christian tale of Jack O'Lantern. American Catholic: All Hallow's Eve.
- Brief All Saints' Day (Christian, Roman Catholic) www
Brief overview of the holiday and the way in which it is celebrated. Saints' Day (Christian, Roman Catholic). All Saints' Day (Christian, Roman Catholic).
- Teaching Lesson Plan - Day of the Dead or "Dia de los Muertos" www
Teaching plan for teachers of grades 4 - 5. Plan - Day of the Dead or "Dia de los Muertos". Includes a Spanish poem in Spanish and English. Lesson Plan - Day of the Dead or "Dia de los Muertos".
- The Day of the Dead in Oaxaca: Oaxaca, Mexico www
The Cabrera family describes one of the most important festivities of Oaxaca. Day of the Dead in Oaxaca: Oaxaca, Mexico.
- Explains Bible Time www
Explains Biblical counting, Time, calendars, and measurement of time. Bible Time.
- Lists The Great Feast Days of the Orthodox Church www
Lists the great feast days and explains the significance of each. The Great Feast Days of the Orthodox Church.
- Alexa: All Saints' Day Calendar
Alexa Directory Top Sites: All Saints' Day Calendar
- DMOZ: All Saints' Day Calendar
dmoz.org Directory: All Saints' Day Calendar