The sites listed in this section provide historical information and resources related to All Saints' Day. All Saints' Day is a Christian holy day observed by many Western churches on November 1 and by Eastern churches on the first Sunday after Pentecost. The day now honors all saints of the church, even those not known by name. All Saints' Day Calendar Christianity Religion and Spirituality Society.
All Saints' Day, also known as All Hallows, Day of All the Saints, Solemnity of All Saints, or Feast of All Saints is a festival celebrated on 1 November by the Latin Church of the Roman Catholic Church and some other Western Christian traditions, and on the first Sunday after Pentecost in Eastern Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy, in honour of all the saints, known and unknown. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: All Saints' Day, also known as All Hallows' Day, Hallowmas, Feast of All Saints, or Solemnity of All Saints, is a Christian festival celebrated in honour of all the saints, known and unknown. In Western Christianity, it is celebrated on 1 November by the Roman Catholic Church, the Anglican Communion, the Methodist Church, the Lutheran Church, and other Protestant churches. The Eastern Orthodox Church and associated Eastern Catholic churches celebrate it on the first Sunday after Pentecost. Oriental Orthodox churches of Chaldea and associated Eastern Catholic churches celebrate All Saints' Day on the first Friday after Easter.
- 1755 Lisbon earthquake which occurred on this day and had a great effect on society and philosophy.
- Dziady - Dziady is an ancient Slavic feast commemorating the dead ancestors. The Polish and Belarusian word means "grandfathers".
- Irish calendar - The Gaelic calendar or Irish calendar is the Julian calendar as it was in use in Gaelic Ireland, but also incorporating Irish cultural festivals and views of the division of the seasons, presumably inherited from earlier Celtic calendar traditions.
- Litany of the Saints - The Litany of the Saints is a formal prayer of the Roman Catholic Church and Western Rite Orthodox communities.
- Veneration of the dead - The veneration of the dead, including one's ancestors, is based on love and respect for the deceased. In some cultures, it is related to beliefs that the dead have a continued existence, and may possess the ability to influence the fortune of the living.
- Public holidays in Croatia
- Observances honoring the dead
- November observances
- Explores Catholic Encyclopedia: All Saints Day www
Explores the origins of the holiday. Catholic Encyclopedia: All Saints Day.
- Brief All Saints' Day (Christian, Roman Catholic) www
Brief overview of the holiday and the way in which it is celebrated. Saints' Day (Christian, Roman Catholic). All Saints' Day (Christian, Roman Catholic).
- Explains American Catholic: All Hallow's Eve www
Explains the Christian roots of Halloween, Catholic: All Hallow's Eve, offers a Christian All Hallows Eve e-card and the Christian tale of Jack O'Lantern. American Catholic: All Hallow's Eve.
- Short CNP Articles - All Saints' Day www
Short article relates the holiday's origins. Articles - All Saints' Day. Taken from The Catholic Encyclopedia. CNP Articles - All Saints' Day.
- An All Saints Day www
An adult reflects on the All Saints' Days she celebrated as a child. All Saints Day.
- Brief The Meaning and Origin of All Saints Day www
Brief description of the holiday and listing of denominations that observe it. The Meaning and Origin of All Saints Day.
- Examines Halloween www
Examines how All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day provide the religious foundation of Halloween. Halloween.
- Dedicated Dia de los Muertos/Day of the Dead www
Dia de los Muertos/Day of the Dead.
- Examines The People's Guide to Mexico: Day of the Dead www
Examines the differences between Halloween and the Day of the Dead, People's Guide to Mexico: Day of the Dead, and explores the customs related to the traditional Mexican holiday. The People's Guide to Mexico: Day of the Dead.
- Family Domestic-Church.Com: Fridge Art www
Family centered activities to bring liturgical life of church into the home, Fridge Art, and teach children about living the Catholic faith. Domestic-Church.Com: Fridge Art.
- Explains Bible Time www
Explains Biblical counting, Time, calendars, and measurement of time. Bible Time.
- Alexa: All Saints' Day Calendar
Alexa Directory Top Sites: All Saints' Day Calendar
- DMOZ: All Saints' Day Calendar
dmoz.org Directory: All Saints' Day Calendar