The philosophy of science is concerned with the philosophical interpretation and study of the natural sciences, in particular, physics, biology, and mathematics. Philosophy of Science Philosophy Society.
Philosophy of science is a branch of philosophy concerned with the foundations, methods, and implications of science. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Philosophy of science is a sub-field of philosophy concerned with the foundations, methods, and implications of science. The central questions of this study concern what qualifies as science, the reliability of scientific theories, and the ultimate purpose of science. This discipline overlaps with metaphysics, ontology, and epistemology, for example, when it explores the relationship between science and truth.
- Philosophy of science Category
- Criticism of science - Criticism of science addresses and refines problems within science in order to improve science as a whole, and its role in society. It is distinct from the academic positions of antiscience or anti-intellectualism which seek to reject entirely the scientific method.
- History and philosophy of science - The history and philosophy of science is an academic discipline that encompasses the philosophy of science and the history of science.
- Metaphysical naturalism - Metaphysical naturalism, also called ontological naturalism, philosophical naturalism, and scientific materialism is a philosophical worldview, which holds that there is nothing but natural elements, principles, and relations of the kind studied by the natural sciences.
- Objectivity (philosophy) - Objectivity is a central philosophical concept, related to reality and truth, which has been variously defined by sources. Generally, objectivity means the state or quality of being even outside a subject's individual biases, interpretations, feelings, and imaginings.
- Philosophy of engineering - The philosophy of engineering is an emerging discipline that considers what engineering is, what engineers do, and how their work affects society, and thus includes aspects of ethics and aesthetics, as well as the ontology, epistemology, etc.
- Science policy - Science policy is concerned with the allocation of resources for the conduct of science towards the goal of best serving the public interest.
- Philosophy by topic
- Historiography of science
- Academic discipline interactions
- Science in society
- Philosophical Scientific Explanation www
Philosophical theories about the nature of explanation in science; from the Stanford Encyclopedia by James Woodward. Scientific Explanation.
- Essays Philosophy of Science www
Essays on philosophy of science from the Proceedings of the Friesian School, Science, Fourth Series. Philosophy of Science.
- Entry Theories of Explanation www
Entry on explanation in the sciences from the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Theories of Explanation.
- Overview What Is Science? www
Overview of the theory of science from an anthroposophical point of view. Science?. What Is Science?.
- Philosophical Laws of Nature www
Philosophical theories about what it is to be a law; from the Stanford Encyclopedia by John W. Nature. Carroll. Laws of Nature.
- Discussion Intertheory Relations in Physics www
Discussion of theory reduction in science; by Robert Batterman from the Stanford Encyclopedia. Intertheory Relations in Physics.
- A Philosophy of Science Events www
A list maintained by the British Society for the Philosophy of Science. Philosophy of Science Events.
- Examines The Nature and Philosophy of Science www
Examines the components, Nature and Philosophy of Science, limitations, and popular mistaken beliefs of science and the scientific method. The web page also includes a section on scientific legitimacy. The Nature and Philosophy of Science.
- An Philsci Archive www
An electronic archive for preprints in the philosophy of science. Philsci Archive.
- Stanford Scientific Realism www
Stanford Encyclopedia entry on thesis that science discovers truths about a theory-independent reality; by Richard Boyd. Scientific Realism.
- Resource Philosophy of Science Resources www
Resource page supplementing Bruce Janz' philosophy of science course. Philosophy of Science Resources.
- Resource Science Studies Web Server www
Resource site at the University of Missouri. Science Studies Web Server.
- Discussess Social Dimensions of Scientific Knowledge www
Discussess the impact of social relations and values on scientific research; from the Stanford Encyclopedia by Helen Longino. Social Dimensions of Scientific Knowledge.
- Weblog Abuddhas Memes www
Weblog dedicated to science, Memes, philosophy, education and freedom. Abuddhas Memes.
- Department University of Cambridge www
Department of History and Philosophy of Science. Cambridge. Links to the Whipple Museum, a collection of scientific instruments and models. University of Cambridge.
- Directed University of Texas, Austin www
Directed by Jim Hankinson, Texas, Austin, this program in the History and Philosophy of Science draws from multiple disciplines and holds conferences. With faculty profiles. University of Texas, Austin.
- A If Horses Had Hands www
A philosophy paper by Tom Tyler examining the arguments on the concept of anthropomorphism. If Horses Had Hands.
- Idealist Cognition and Biological Evolution www
Idealist philosophy resolves a fundamental paradox in the materialist account of evolution. and Biological Evolution. Essay by Axel Randrup. Cognition and Biological Evolution.
- Official International Society for the Philosophy of Chemistry www
Official site of the ISPC. Society for the Philosophy of Chemistry. Site includes resource and membership information. International Society for the Philosophy of Chemistry.
- Leading Eric Scerri www
Leading researcher on history and philosophy of chemistry, Scerri, especially of the Periodic Table. Contains list of publications and research interests. Eric Scerri.
- Epistemological Bayesian Epistemology www
Epistemological movement based on Bayesian confirmation and decision theory; from the Stanford Encyclopedia by William Talbott. Bayesian Epistemology.
- Syllabus Epistemology www
Syllabus for a Yale University seminar on epistemology. Epistemology.
- Concise PhilosophyPages: Logical Positivism www
Concise survey of this school and the related doctrine of "ethical emotivism. Logical Positivism." PhilosophyPages: Logical Positivism.
- Entry Wikipedia: Logical Positivism www
Entry from the openly-edited encyclopedia. Wikipedia: Logical Positivism.
- Based Paul Ernest's Page www
Based at School of Education, Ernest's Page, University of Exeter, United Kingdom, includes the text of back issues of the Philosophy of Mathematics Education Journal, and other papers on the philosophy of mathematics and related subjects. Paul Ernest's Page.
- In Hilbert's Program www
In 1921, Program, David Hilbert made a proposal for a formalist foundation of mathematics, for which a finitary consistency proof should establish the security of mathematics. From the Stanford Encyclopedia, by Richard Zach. Hilbert's Program.
- Alexa: Philosophy of Science Philosophy
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Philosophy of Science Philosophy
- DMOZ: Philosophy of Science Philosophy
dmoz.org Directory: Philosophy of Science Philosophy