Philosophy of Mind Philosophy Society.
Philosophy of mind is a branch of philosophy that studies the nature of the mind, mental events, mental functions, mental properties, consciousness, and their relationship to the physical body, particularly the brain. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Philosophy of mind is a branch of philosophy that studies the nature of the mind. The mind?body problem is a paradigm issue in philosophy of mind, although other issues are addressed, such as the hard problem of consciousness, and the nature of particular mental states. Aspects of the mind that are studied include mental events, mental functions, mental properties, consciousness, the ontology of the mind, the nature of thought, and the relationship of the mind to the body.
- Philosophy of mind Category
- Animal consciousness - Animal consciousness, or animal awareness, is the quality or state of self-awareness within an animal, or of being aware of an external object or something within itself.
- Artificial consciousness - Artificial consciousness, also known as machine consciousness or synthetic consciousness, is a field related to artificial intelligence and cognitive robotics.
- Collective intentionality - In the philosophy of mind, collective intentionality characterizes the intentionality that occurs when two or more individuals undertake a task together. Examples include two individuals carrying a heavy table up a flight of stairs or dancing a tango.
- Outline of human intelligence - Human intelligence is, in the human species, the mental capacities to learn, understand, and reason, including the capacities to comprehend ideas, plan, problem?solve, and use language to communicate.
- Outline of thought - Thought ? the mental process in which beings form psychological associations and models of the world. Thinking is manipulating information, as when we form concepts, engage in problem solving, reason and make decisions. Thought, the act of thinking, produces thoughts.
- Theory of mind in animals - Theory of mind in animals is an extension to non-human animals of the philosophical and psychological concept of theory of mind, sometimes known as mentalisation or mind-reading.
- Contemporary Philosophy of Mind: An Annotated Bibliography www
Thousands of entries, Philosophy of Mind: An Annotated Bibliography, categorized by subject matter. From David Chalmers.
- Dictionary of Philosophy of Mind www
A collection of definitions and brief scholarly discussions of key terms in the Philosophy of Mind. Philosophy of Mind. Also includes brief biographical sketches of important figures in cognitive science.
- Movement Connectionism www
Movement in cognitive science which hopes to explain human intellectual abilities using artificial neural networks. Connectionism. From the Stanford Encyclopedia, by James W. Garson. Connectionism.
- Discussion Consciousness and Intentionality www
Discussion of the connection between phenomenal consciousness and intentionality; by Charles Siewert. Consciousness and Intentionality.
- Contains Arts and Minds www
Contains theory and essays by Mayer Spivack. and Minds. Primarily emphasizes human cognition, animal cognition, associative reasoning (syncretic reasoning), creativity, learning and learning disability. Arts and Minds.
- The Eliminative Materialism www
The view that some or all of the mental states posited by common-sense do not actually exist; from the Stanford Encyclopedia by William Ramsey. Eliminative Materialism.
- The Parsimony and the Mind www
The principle of parsimony and its application to the mind-body problem Parsimony and the Mind.
- Evaluates The Identity Theory of Mind www
Evaluates the theory that holds that states and processes of the mind are identical to states and processes of the brain. Identity Theory of Mind. From the Stanford Encyclopedia, by J. J. C. Smart. The Identity Theory of Mind.
- Discusses Epiphenomenalism www
Discusses the view that mental events are caused by physical events in the brain, Epiphenomenalism, but have no effects upon any physical events. From the Stanford Encyclopedia, by William S. Robinson. Epiphenomenalism.
- Information The Experimental Philosophy Page www
Information about experimental data gathered by people working in the philosophy of mind. The Experimental Philosophy Page.
- The Computing Machinery and Intelligence www
The classic 1950 article by Alan Turing on machine intelligence, Machinery and Intelligence, where he introduces the famous Turing test. Computing Machinery and Intelligence.
- History The Unity of Consciousness www
History and philosophical accounts of unity of consciousness; from the Stanford Encyclopedia by Andrew Brook. The Unity of Consciousness.
- Discusses Multiple Realizability www
Discusses the contention that a given mental kind (property, Realizability, state, event) is realized by distinct physical kinds. From the Stanford Encyclopedia, by John Bickle. Multiple Realizability.
- This The Extended Mind www
This paper by Andy Clark and David Chalmers proposes an active externalist theory of mind - that when we use tools such as paper or computers to aid in our cognition, Extended Mind, they become part of our minds. The Extended Mind.
- This Daniel C. Dennett - publications and preprints. www
This page makes available online versions of many recent (1987-1997) published and unpublished articles, Dennett - publications and preprints., and reviews, by this influential and unusually readable philosopher (and by some of his associates). Daniel C. Dennett - publications and preprints..
- An The Pre-History of Cognitive Science www
An annotated bibliography of the models of human cognition of Berkeley, Pre-History of Cognitive Science, Burton, Hobbes, and Locke. (More figures from the seventeenth through nineteenth centuries are promised.) The Pre-History of Cognitive Science.
- A The Doomsday Simulation Argument www
A compact response to both Leslie's doomsday argument and Bostrom's simulation argument, Doomsday Simulation Argument, by I.A. Aranyosi The Doomsday Simulation Argument.
- A Hyponoeticism - New Philosophy of Mind www
A New and Challenging Philosophy of Mind. Hyponoeticism - New Philosophy of Mind.
- The Panpsychism www
The doctrine that mind is a fundamental feature of the world which exists throughout the universe; from the Stanford Encyclopedia by William Seager. Panpsychism.
- Introductory Mental Images: Philosophical Psychology www
Introductory and advanced material on the imagery debate, Images: Philosophical Psychology, cognitive science, and metaphysical issues. Mental Images: Philosophical Psychology.
- The Center for Consciousness Studies at the University of Arizona. www
The main institutional center for Consciousness Studies. for Consciousness Studies at the University of Arizona.. Host of the Tucson "Toward a Science of Consciousness" conferences, and periodically stages on-line courses on aspects of Consciousness Studies. Center for Consciousness Studies at the University of Arizona..
- The An atheist philosophy beyond the "bright" attitude www
The naturalism of the Bright Movement is present in Real Dualism, atheist philosophy beyond the "bright" attitude, but even an anthropologic analysis that get over the traditional materialism An atheist philosophy beyond the "bright" attitude.
- The The Society for Philosophy and Psychology (SPP). www
The leading U. Society for Philosophy and Psychology (SPP)..S. organization for discussion between (analytic) philosophers and (mainly cognitively oriented) psychologists. The Society for Philosophy and Psychology (SPP)..
- An PhilosophyofMind.info www
An overview of the philosophy of mind. PhilosophyofMind.info. Explores the various theories of mind, and of how the mental relates to the physical. PhilosophyofMind.info.
- Theories Higher-order Theories of Consciousness www
Theories which explain conscious states by their relations to higher-order representations of them; from the Stanford Encyclopedia by Peter Carruthers. Higher-order Theories of Consciousness.
- Varol Mind and Mechanism - Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews www
Varol Akman reviews this book by Drew V. and Mechanism - Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews. McDermott. Mind and Mechanism - Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews.
- Proposal Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - The Turing Test www
Proposal due to Alan Turing for a criterion of the presence of mind or consciousness; by Graham Oppy and David Dowe. Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - The Turing Test.
- A The Philosophy and Future of AI www
A personal perspective, Philosophy and Future of AI, with many links, from Artificial Intelligence researcher Mark Humphrys. The Philosophy and Future of AI.
- Articles Behavioral & Prints Archive www
Articles on the subject of philosophy of mind. Behavioral & Prints Archive.
- The Cognitive Science www
The interdisciplinary study of mind and intelligence. Science. From the Stanford Encyclopedia, by Paul Thagard.. Cognitive Science.
- Article Reflections on Language and Mind www
Article by Daniel Dennett (1996). Reflections on Language and Mind.
- Condensed Squashed Descartes www
Condensed edition of Descartes' 'Meditations', Descartes, with study notes and glossary. Squashed Descartes.
- Argumentation Argumentation Map: Do Computers Have to be Conscious to Think? www
Argumentation maps propose to map the detailed structure of major philosophical debates in graphical form. Map: Do Computers Have to be Conscious to Think?. Portions of the map of the "Can Computers Think?" debate are now available online. Argumentation Map: Do Computers Have to be Conscious to Think?.
- Bibliographies SWIF Philosophy of Mind www
Bibliographies by topic and author, Philosophy of Mind, event listings, online texts, new books (with links), and many links to online reference works, relevant institutions, journal home pages, and other sites. SWIF Philosophy of Mind.
- A Simulation, Consciousness, Existence www
A view on consciousness, Consciousness, Existence, universal existence, nothingness, reality. Simulation, Consciousness, Existence.
- By Mind and Body: Rene Descartes to William James www
By Robert H. and Body: Rene Descartes to William James. Wozniak, Bryn Mawr College. History of philosophical and scientific reactions to "the Cartesian impasse". Spanish translation available. Mind and Body: Rene Descartes to William James.
- Includes Living philosophy from a modern thinker www
Includes a study of belief, philosophy from a modern thinker, mind, relativity, sign systems and matter. Philosophy is integrated with psychology and science. Living philosophy from a modern thinker.
- A Mental Representation www
A mental representation is a mental object with semantic properties. Representation. According to the Representational Theory of Mind, psychological states are to be understood as relations between agents and mental representations. Article from the Stanford Encyclopedia, by David Pitt. Mental Representation.
- The Stanford Encyclopedia - The Computational Theory of Mind www
The philosophical theory that the mind is, Encyclopedia - The Computational Theory of Mind, or functions like, a computer; by Steven Horst. Stanford Encyclopedia - The Computational Theory of Mind.
- Site The Simulation Argument www
Site examining the hypothesis that we are currently living in an "ancestor simulation" run by a future, Simulation Argument, post-human society. Includes papers and research links. The Simulation Argument.
- Survey A Field Guide to the Philosophy of Mind www
Survey articles on key issues in the field, Field Guide to the Philosophy of Mind, and an annotated bibliography. A Field Guide to the Philosophy of Mind.
- Study Studies on Consciousness www
Study of consciousness, Consciousness, mind and cognition. Contains regular reviews, essays and a bibliography on the subject. Studies on Consciousness.
- Key EmergentMind, Mapping the Frontiers of Consciousness www
Key papers, Mapping the Frontiers of Consciousness, discussions and research leads focusing on holographic models of mind and mind-body interactions. EmergentMind, Mapping the Frontiers of Consciousness.
- A Determinism as True, Compatibilism and Incompatibilism as Both False, and the Real Problem www
A critique of the view that quantum theory disproves determinism, True, Compatibilism and Incompatibilism as Both False, and the Real Problem, and an argument that freedom is simultaneously compatible and incompatible with determinism. By Prof. Ted Honderich. Determinism as True, Compatibilism and Incompatibilism as Both False, and the Real Problem.
- Randolph Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy: Incompatibilist (Nondeterministic) Theories of Free Will www
Randolph Clarke's survey of theories of freedom according to which it is inconsistent with causal determinism. Encyclopedia of Philosophy: Incompatibilist (Nondeterministic) Theories of Free Will. Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy: Incompatibilist (Nondeterministic) Theories of Free Will.
- Article The Role of Language in Intelligence www
Article by Daniel Dennett, Role of Language in Intelligence, published in What is Intelligence?, The Darwin College Lectures (1994). The Role of Language in Intelligence.
- Interests Schwitzgebel, Eric www
Interests include: our poor knowledge of our own conscious experience, Eric, dispositional theories of belief, developmental psychology, and evil. Schwitzgebel, Eric.
- Philosopher Lepore, Ernest www
Philosopher of language, Ernest, logic, meatphysics and mind, and director of the Rutgers Center for Cognitive Science. Lepore, Ernest.
- An The Pre-History of Cognitive Science www
An annotated bibliography of the models of human cognition of Berkeley, Pre-History of Cognitive Science, Burton, Hobbes, and Locke. The Pre-History of Cognitive Science.
- From The History of Psychology www
From the University of Dayton. History of Psychology. Resources on many figures in the history of psychology, and history of psychology trivia. The History of Psychology.
- Considers An Essay in the Philosophy of Social Science www
Considers whether social science is really a science; with particular reference to Weber on the origins of modern capitalism. An Essay in the Philosophy of Social Science.
- Alexa: Philosophy of Mind Philosophy
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Philosophy of Mind Philosophy
- DMOZ: Philosophy of Mind Philosophy
dmoz.org Directory: Philosophy of Mind Philosophy