Philosophy of language is the study of philosophical issues that arise due to the language based nature of discourse and argument. It is dominated by philosophical analysis, the branch of philosophy that occupies itself with what the structures of language tell us about the concepts we deploy in communicating. Philosophical analysis dates back to the Pre-Socratics, and was first made systematic in Aristotle's Organon, but it was with the revolutionary new developments in mathematical logic inaugurated by Frege that philosophical analysis assumed the central importance in philosophy that it does today. Analytical philosophy is the school of philosophy which ascribes most importance to the philosophy of language, and it is in analytical philosophy that the so-called `linguistic turn' took place: this is the idea that long standing controversies in philosophy about the nature of the world and of knowledge can be settled by attention to the use of the relevant concepts in language. Philosophy of Language Philosophy Society.
Philosophy of language is concerned with four central problems: the nature of meaning, language use, language cognition, and the relationship between language and reality. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Philosophy of language explores the relationship between language and reality, in particular, philosophy of language studies issues that cannot be addressed by other fields, like linguistics, or psychology. Major topics in philosophy of language include the nature of meaning, intentionality, reference, the constitution of sentences, concepts, learning, and thought.
- Philosophy of language Category
- Philosophy of science by discipline
- Article Structural Linguistics and Formal Semantics www
Article by Jaroslav Peregrin, Linguistics and Formal Semantics, discussing to what extent Chomsky's views displace Saussure's. Structural Linguistics and Formal Semantics.
- Wide-ranging Pragmatism and the Philosophy of Language www
Wide-ranging article by Danielle MacBeth. and the Philosophy of Language. From the Wilfrid Sellars' archive. Pragmatism and the Philosophy of Language.
- Acknowledges Wikipedia - Philosophy of Language www
Acknowledges difficulties in defining the field but suggests a focus mainly on questions of meaning and truth. Wikipedia - Philosophy of Language.
- Article Conditions on Understanding Language www
Article by Ernest Lepore. Understanding Language. Discusses the nature of language competence. Conditions on Understanding Language.
- Historical Philosophy of Language in Classical China www
Historical overview by Chad Hansen of interpretations of language in the major schools of philosophical thought in classical China (up to the Han dynasty). Philosophy of Language in Classical China.
- New History of the Philosophy of Language www
New World Encyclopedia's overview and history of the philosophy of language. History of the Philosophy of Language.
- Bryan Interview with John Searle on the Philosophy of Language www
Bryan Magee speaking with John Searle and discussing the philosophy of language. with John Searle on the Philosophy of Language. Part 1 of a 4 part series. Interview with John Searle on the Philosophy of Language.
- Browsable Bibliography of Work in the Philosophy of Language www
Browsable and searchable database of works pertaining to the philosophy of language. Work in the Philosophy of Language. Maintained by the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology. Bibliography of Work in the Philosophy of Language.
- By Review of Michael Beaney's `Frege: Making Sense' www
By Mitchell Green, Michael Beaney's `Frege: Making Sense', to appear in Mind. Review of Michael Beaney's `Frege: Making Sense'.
- Proceedings Philosophy of Language, World Congress Papers www
Proceedings of the 20th World Congress of Philosophy, Language, World Congress Papers, held at Boston University in 1998. Archive of contributed papers in the subject area of Philosophy of Language. Provided by The Paideia Archive. Philosophy of Language, World Congress Papers.
- Bertrand Logical Constructions www
Bertrand Russell referred to several different definitions and philosophical analyses as providing "logical constructions" of certain entities and expressions. Constructions. From the Stanford Encyclopedia, by Bernard Linsky. Logical Constructions.
- The Analysis www
The historical development and conceptual structure of philosophical analysis; from the Stanford Encyclopedia by Michael Beaney. Analysis.
- Review Psychosemantics www
Review by Daniel C. Psychosemantics. Dennett of Fodor's book. Appeared in Journal of Philosophy, 1987. Psychosemantics.
- Argues Holism in Artificial Intelligence? www
Argues against the idea that research in AI supposes meaning holism, Artificial Intelligence?, and against classifying Wittgenstein as a meaning holist. By Carlo Penco. Holism in Artificial Intelligence?.
- Professor Bach, Kent www
Professor of Philosophy at San Francisco State University. Kent. A good resource on pragmatics in the philosophy of language. Bach, Kent.
- Professor Hertzberg, Lars www
Professor of Philosophy at Åbo Akademi University, Lars, Finland. Interested especially in the later Wittgenstein. Hertzberg, Lars.
- An Why Aristotelian Logic does not Work www
An essay at Abelard. Aristotelian Logic does not Work.org outlining an argument against Aristotelian syllogistic. Why Aristotelian Logic does not Work.
- An Logic www
An online textbook by Garth Kemerling, Logic, explaining the basic elements of elementary logic at an undergraduate level. Logic.
- Learn Gender Exclusive Language www
Learn six strategies to avoid using gender-specific pronouns. Gender Exclusive Language.
- The Viewpoints from Involvement -- "Thon" www
The history and usage of "thon" as a genderless pronoun derived from "that one" is described. Viewpoints from Involvement -- "Thon".
- Series Seminar Series on Mind and Language at NYU www
Series of lectures from 1998 at New York University. Series on Mind and Language at NYU. Includes links to speakers reprints. Seminar Series on Mind and Language at NYU.
- Research Communicative Understanding at Leipzig www
Research group at the University of Leipzig, Understanding at Leipzig, concerned with philosophical impact of Gricean speech act theory, and knowledge representation. Communicative Understanding at Leipzig.
- Alexa: Philosophy of Language Philosophy
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Philosophy of Language Philosophy
- DMOZ: Philosophy of Language Philosophy
dmoz.org Directory: Philosophy of Language Philosophy