Philosophy of language is the study of philosophical issues that arise due to the language based nature of discourse and argument. It is dominated by philosophical analysis, the branch of philosophy that occupies itself with what the structures of language tell us about the concepts we deploy in communicating. Philosophical analysis dates back to the Pre-Socratics, and was first made systematic in Aristotle's Organon, but it was with the revolutionary new developments in mathematical logic inaugurated by Frege that philosophical analysis assumed the central importance in philosophy that it does today. Analytical philosophy is the school of philosophy which ascribes most importance to the philosophy of language, and it is in analytical philosophy that the so-called `linguistic turn' took place: this is the idea that long standing controversies in philosophy about the nature of the world and of knowledge can be settled by attention to the use of the relevant concepts in language. Philosophy of Language Philosophy Society.
Philosophy of language is concerned with four central problems: the nature of meaning, language use, language cognition, and the relationship between language and reality. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Philosophy of language explores the relationship between language and reality, in particular, philosophy of language studies issues that cannot be addressed by other fields, like linguistics, or psychology. Major topics in philosophy of language include the nature of meaning, intentionality, reference, the constitution of sentences, concepts, learning, and thought.
- Philosophy of language Category
- Philosophy of science by discipline
- Bryan Interview with John Searle on the Philosophy of Language www
Bryan Magee speaking with John Searle and discussing the philosophy of language. with John Searle on the Philosophy of Language. Part 1 of a 4 part series. Interview with John Searle on the Philosophy of Language.
- By Review of Michael Beaney's `Frege: Making Sense' www
By Mitchell Green, Michael Beaney's `Frege: Making Sense', to appear in Mind. Review of Michael Beaney's `Frege: Making Sense'.
- Acknowledges Wikipedia - Philosophy of Language www
Acknowledges difficulties in defining the field but suggests a focus mainly on questions of meaning and truth. Wikipedia - Philosophy of Language.
- New History of the Philosophy of Language www
New World Encyclopedia's overview and history of the philosophy of language. History of the Philosophy of Language.
- Article Conditions on Understanding Language www
Article by Ernest Lepore. Understanding Language. Discusses the nature of language competence. Conditions on Understanding Language.
- Proceedings Philosophy of Language, World Congress Papers www
Proceedings of the 20th World Congress of Philosophy, Language, World Congress Papers, held at Boston University in 1998. Archive of contributed papers in the subject area of Philosophy of Language. Provided by The Paideia Archive. Philosophy of Language, World Congress Papers.
- Article Structural Linguistics and Formal Semantics www
Article by Jaroslav Peregrin, Linguistics and Formal Semantics, discussing to what extent Chomsky's views displace Saussure's. Structural Linguistics and Formal Semantics.
- Historical Philosophy of Language in Classical China www
Historical overview by Chad Hansen of interpretations of language in the major schools of philosophical thought in classical China (up to the Han dynasty). Philosophy of Language in Classical China.
- Browsable Bibliography of Work in the Philosophy of Language www
Browsable and searchable database of works pertaining to the philosophy of language. Work in the Philosophy of Language. Maintained by the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology. Bibliography of Work in the Philosophy of Language.
- Wide-ranging Pragmatism and the Philosophy of Language www
Wide-ranging article by Danielle MacBeth. and the Philosophy of Language. From the Wilfrid Sellars' archive. Pragmatism and the Philosophy of Language.
- An Tips on Translating English into First-Order Logic www
An introductory guide by Peter Suber. Tips on Translating English into First-Order Logic.
- Kent Comparing Frege and Russell www
Kent Bach draws attention to several distinctions between the views of Frege and Russell in this short article. Comparing Frege and Russell.
- Online On Denoting www
Online text of Russell's 1905 paper. On Denoting.
- Explores Propositional Attitude Reports www
Explores semantic accounts of propositional attitude reports, Attitude Reports, and some of the theories developed to deal with Frege's puzzle. From the Stanford Encyclopedia, by Thomas J. McKay. Propositional Attitude Reports.
- Celia Forbes, Graeme www
Celia Scott Weatherhead Distinguished Professor at Tulane University. Graeme. This homepage looks to become a promising resource. Forbes, Graeme.
- Online Millikan, Ruth www
Online books, Ruth, selected papers, and C.V. of a Professor of Philosophy at the University of Connecticut. Millikan, Ruth.
- An The Logic Course www
An interactive course in formal logic, Logic Course, with tutorials and quizzes on critical thinking, truth-tables, and sentential. The Logic Course.
- Article Frege's Theorem www
Article in the Stanford Encylcopaedia of Philosophy, Theorem, entitled `Frege's Logic, Theorem, and Foundations for Arithmetic'. Discusses the 1980 discovery of Crispin Wright that Frege's work of the Grundgesetze can be carried out in second-order logic with Hume's principle. Frege's Theorem.
- The Viewpoints from Involvement -- "Thon" www
The history and usage of "thon" as a genderless pronoun derived from "that one" is described. Viewpoints from Involvement -- "Thon".
- A Gender-Neutral Pronoun Frequently Asked Questions www
A discussion of gender-neutral/gender-free pronouns in English over the centuries, Pronoun Frequently Asked Questions, such as 'sie', 'hir', 'ey', 'zie', and singular their. Gender-Neutral Pronoun Frequently Asked Questions.
- Series Seminar Series on Mind and Language at NYU www
Series of lectures from 1998 at New York University. Series on Mind and Language at NYU. Includes links to speakers reprints. Seminar Series on Mind and Language at NYU.
- Research Communicative Understanding at Leipzig www
Research group at the University of Leipzig, Understanding at Leipzig, concerned with philosophical impact of Gricean speech act theory, and knowledge representation. Communicative Understanding at Leipzig.
- Alexa: Philosophy of Language Philosophy
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Philosophy of Language Philosophy
- DMOZ: Philosophy of Language Philosophy
dmoz.org Directory: Philosophy of Language Philosophy