Western philosophy has a long and varied history, dating back to the pre-Socratic philosophers of ancient Greece. The section for history of philosophy is dedicated to sites and pages which deal with the history of philosophy in general or a separate period, rather than with a particular topic or a particular philosopher. History of Philosophy Philosophy Society.
Historically, "philosophy" encompassed any body of knowledge. From the time of Ancient Greek philosopher Aristotle to the 19th century, " natural philosophy " encompassed astronomy, medicine and physics. (wikipedia)
- Philosophy The study of general and fundamental problems concerning matters such as existence, knowledge...
- A History of Philosophy (Copleston) An eleven-volume history of Western philosophy written by English Jesuit priest Frederick Charles...
- History of Philosophy Quarterly A peer-reviewed academic journal dedicated to the history of philosophy.
- Journal of the History of Philosophy A quarterly peer-reviewed academic journal.
- Scholarly History of Philosophy Quarterly www
Scholarly journal which strives to treat the work of past philosophers not only in terms of historical inquiry, Philosophy Quarterly, but also as a means of dealing with issues of ongoing philosophical concern. Submission and subscription information provided. History of Philosophy Quarterly.
- A History of Philosophy www
A very large, Philosophy, diverse collection of essays addressing many philosophical, historical, scientific, religious, economic, legal, and political issues. Edited by Kelley L. Ross. History of Philosophy.
- A History of Philosophy www
A survey of the history of Western philosophy, Philosophy, by Garth Kemerling at philosophypages.com. History of Philosophy.
- A Chronology of Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century British Philosophy www
A chronology of major events and figures in religion and philosophy in Great Britain from 1651 to 1872 by Glenn Everett and George P. Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century British Philosophy. Landow at the Victorian Web. Chronology of Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century British Philosophy.
- The German Idealism (Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy) www
The term "German Idealism" refers to a phase of intellectual life that had its origin in the Enlightenment as modified by German conditions. Idealism (Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy). German Idealism (Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy).
- Information Prometheus Trust www
Information on the Thomas Taylor (the "English Platonist") Series books, Trust, mostly translations of Neoplatonists, with excerpts. Prometheus Trust.
- Brief Hegelianism in the Twentieth Century www
Brief review of influence of Hegel in this century, the Twentieth Century, by Mario Rossi. Hegelianism in the Twentieth Century.
- Parachute 20th Century Philosophy www
Parachute overview of essential thought in Twentieth Century. 20th Century Philosophy.
- Discussion Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - Episteme and Techne www
Discussion of the distinction between knowledge and craft, Encyclopedia of Philosophy - Episteme and Techne, or art in ancient philosophy; by Richard Parry. Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - Episteme and Techne.
- The Greek Philosophy www
The Origin of Philosophy: The Attributes of Mythic/Mythopoeic Thought - How was Greek philosophy different from what came before? Or was it different? Greek Philosophy.
- Fred Evil in Modern Thought: An Alternative History of Philosophy www
Fred Rush reviews this book by Susan Neiman. Modern Thought: An Alternative History of Philosophy. From Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews. Evil in Modern Thought: An Alternative History of Philosophy.
- Catherine Enlightenment and Action from Descartes to Kant: Passionate Thought www
Catherine Wilson reviews Michael Losonsky's book. and Action from Descartes to Kant: Passionate Thought. From Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews. Enlightenment and Action from Descartes to Kant: Passionate Thought.
- Several History Simplified www
Several short historic summaries from several eras. History Simplified.
- Catalog LLEK Bookmarks Scientific Search Engines - History www
Catalog of journals, Bookmarks Scientific Search Engines - History, catalogs, and other scholarly resources in German and English. LLEK Bookmarks Scientific Search Engines - History.
- From Medieval Theories of Conscience www
From the Stanford Encyclopedia, Theories of Conscience, by Doug Langston. Medieval Theories of Conscience.
- From Medieval Theories of Practical Reason www
From the Stanford Encyclopedia, Theories of Practical Reason, by Anthony Celano. Medieval Theories of Practical Reason.
- Alexa: History of Philosophy Philosophy
Alexa Directory Top Sites: History of Philosophy Philosophy
- DMOZ: History of Philosophy Philosophy
dmoz.org Directory: History of Philosophy Philosophy