Works of philosophers or others dealing with the limits, sources, nature and methods of human knowledge. Epistemology Philosophy Society.
Epistemology studies the nature of knowledge, the rationality of belief, and justification. Much of the debate in epistemology centers on four areas: (1) the philosophical analysis of the nature of knowledge and how it relates to such concepts as truth, belief, and justification, (2) various problems of skepticism, (3) the sources and scope of knowledge and justified belief, and (4) the criteria for knowledge and justification. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Epistemology is the branch of philosophy concerned with the theory of knowledge.
- Epistemology Category
- Epistemological rupture - Epistemological rupture, is a notion introduced in 1938 by French philosopher Gaston Bachelard, and later used by Louis Althusser.
- Epistemic democracy - Epistemic democracy is the "doctrine of the wisdom of the multitude."
- Feminist epistemology - Feminist epistemology is an examination of the subject matter of epistemology, i.e., the theory of knowledge, from a feminist standpoint.
- G del's incompleteness theorems - G del's incompleteness theorems are two theorems of mathematical logic that demonstrate the inherent limitations of every formal axiomatic system containing basic arithmetic.
- Gnosiology - Gnosiology, a term of 18th century aesthetics, is "the philosophy of knowledge and cognition". The term is currently used mainly in regard to Eastern Christianity.
- Methodology - Methodology is the systematic, theoretical analysis of the methods applied to a field of study. It comprises the theoretical analysis of the body of methods and principles associated with a branch of knowledge.
- By Coherence, Certainty, and Epistemic Priority www
By Roderick Firth. Coherence, Certainty, and Epistemic Priority.
- Discusses Formal Learning Theory www
Discusses mathematical approaches to normative epistemology; from the Stanford Encyclopedia by Oliver Schulte. Formal Learning Theory.
- Article Skepticism www
Article examining the various forms of skepticism. Skepticism. From the Stanford Encyclopedia, by Peter Klein. Skepticism.
- Epistemological Bayesian Epistemology www
Epistemological movement based on Bayesian confirmation and decision theory; from the Stanford Encyclopedia by William Talbott. Bayesian Epistemology.
- Laurence Knowledge, Justification, and Truth www
Laurence BonJour's dissertation. Knowledge, Justification, and Truth.
- Kent New Thoughts about Old Things: Cognitive Policies as the Ground of Singular Concepts www
Kent Bach reviews this book by Krista Lawlor. Thoughts about Old Things: Cognitive Policies as the Ground of Singular Concepts. From Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews. New Thoughts about Old Things: Cognitive Policies as the Ground of Singular Concepts.
- Metaphysical Color www
Metaphysical and epistemological accounts of color. Color. From the Stanford Encyclopedia, by Barry Maund. Color.
- Survey Evolutionary Epistemology www
Survey of naturalistic epistemology which emphasizes importance of natural selection; from the Stanford Encyclopedia by Michael Bradie and William Harms Evolutionary Epistemology.
- Peter Reference, Truth and Conceptual Schemes: A Defense of Internal Realism www
Peter J. Truth and Conceptual Schemes: A Defense of Internal Realism. Graham reviews this book by Gabor Forrai. From Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews. Reference, Truth and Conceptual Schemes: A Defense of Internal Realism.
- An TheoryofKnowledge.info www
An overview of epistemology, TheoryofKnowledge.info, exploring the various theories of knowledge, justification, and belief. TheoryofKnowledge.info.
- Directory The Epistemology Research Guide www
Directory of links by Keith Korcz, Epistemology Research Guide, including online papers. The Epistemology Research Guide.
- Syllabus Epistemology www
Syllabus for a Yale University seminar on epistemology. Epistemology.
- Survey The Analysis of Knowledge www
Survey of analyses of the concept of knowledge, Analysis of Knowledge, including justified true belief and the Gettier problem; from the Stanford Encyclopedia by Matthias Steup. The Analysis of Knowledge.
- From Bohm, Bell, and Boom! Quantum Mechanics and the End of Modern Dualism www
From History and Philosophy of Science, Bell, and Boom! Quantum Mechanics and the End of Modern Dualism, Fall, 1997. By Dr. Ess. Bohm, Bell, and Boom! Quantum Mechanics and the End of Modern Dualism.
- An Virtue Epistemology www
An approach in epistemology that applies the resources of virtue theory to problems in the theory of knowledge. Epistemology. From the Stanford Encyclopedia, by John Greco. Virtue Epistemology.
- Classic Is Justified True Belief Knowledge? www
Classic short paper by Edmund Gettier. Justified True Belief Knowledge?. Is Justified True Belief Knowledge?.
- A Teaching Theory of Knowledge www
A booklet for teaching theory of knowledge. Theory of Knowledge. It includes a list of topics in epistemology with an introduction and a reading list for each. Teaching Theory of Knowledge.
- Archive 20th WCP: Theory of Knowledge www
Archive of contributed papers in the subject area of Theory of Knowledge from the Proceedings of the 20th World Congress of Philosophy (The Paideia Project). 20th WCP: Theory of Knowledge.
- A Sextus Empiricus's Outlines of Pyrrhonism www
A short paper by Alex Scott on the ancient school of skepticism. Sextus Empiricus's Outlines of Pyrrhonism.
- Survey Foundationalist Theories of Epistemic Justification www
Survey of theories according to which knowledge and justified belief rest ultimately on a foundation of noninferential knowledge or justified belief. Theories of Epistemic Justification. From the Stanford Encyclopedia, by Richard Fumerton. Foundationalist Theories of Epistemic Justification.
- Essays Epistemology www
Essays on epistemology from the Proceedings of the Friesian School, Epistemology, Fourth Series. Epistemology.
- Electronic JTB Forum www
Electronic journal for theory of knowledge. JTB Forum.
- James James Pryor www
James Pryor's homepage. Pryor. It includes online papers and detailed lecture notes. James Pryor.
- Qualia Qualia www
Qualia are introspectively accessible, Qualia, phenomenal aspects of our mental lives. From the Stanford Encyclopedia, by Michael Tye. Qualia.
- A The Epistemology Page www
A collection of epistemology resources, Epistemology Page, including other directories, online papers, and graduate programs strong in epistemology. The Epistemology Page.
- Data KLI Theory Lab www
Data base that allows scientific literature search in the domain of evolution and cognition, Theory Lab, thus indexing the literature in Evolutionary Epistemology. KLI Theory Lab.
- Course Theory of Knowledge www
Course taught by James Pryor at Princeton University; includes handouts and lecture notes. Theory of Knowledge.
- Discussion Bayes' Theorem www
Discussion of a formula to calculate conditional probabilities which figures in subjectivist approaches to epistemology; from the Stanford Encyclopedia by James Joyce. Bayes' Theorem.
- Two Ancient Skepticism www
Two movements in ancient philosophy, Skepticism, Pyrrhonism, and Academic Skepticism. From the Stanford Encyclopedia, by Leo Groarke. Ancient Skepticism.
- Topic Third Summer School for the Theory of Knowledge www
Topic is Justification. Summer School for the Theory of Knowledge. Held in Madralin, Poland, in August 2000. Third Summer School for the Theory of Knowledge.
- Short Conceptanalysis, Language and Logic www
Short review to the history and the founders of conceptanalysis. Language and Logic. Discusses the scheme of languages, logic and abstractions and presents a 2-level theory of science's language. Conceptanalysis, Language and Logic.
- Report Logic and Artificial Intelligence www
Report by Selmer Bringsjord, and Artificial Intelligence, discussing the history of Artificial Intelligence, and its close relationship to work in logic. Logic and Artificial Intelligence.
- The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy: Mereology www
The relations of part to whole and of part to part within a whole; by Achille Varzi. Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy: Mereology.
- Developers The Metaphysics Research Lab www
Developers of the axiomatic theory of abstract objects and relations. The Metaphysics Research Lab.
- Reviews Naturalized Epistemology www
Reviews the different kinds of naturalised epistemology: replacement, Epistemology, cooperative and substantive naturalisms; from the Stanford Encyclopedia by Richard Feldman. Naturalized Epistemology.
- Philosophical Laws of Nature www
Philosophical theories about what it is to be a law; from the Stanford Encyclopedia by John W. Nature. Carroll. Laws of Nature.
- Discussion Intertheory Relations in Physics www
Discussion of theory reduction in science; by Robert Batterman from the Stanford Encyclopedia. Intertheory Relations in Physics.
- A Catholic Encyclopedia: Pragmatism www
A 1912 consideration of this doctrine, Encyclopedia: Pragmatism, by William Turner. Catholic Encyclopedia: Pragmatism.
- Paper Pragmatism and Umwelt-Theory www
Paper by Alexei Sharov, and Umwelt-Theory, considering the biological relevance of pragmatism. Pragmatism and Umwelt-Theory.
- Alexa: Epistemology Philosophy
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Epistemology Philosophy
- DMOZ: Epistemology Philosophy
dmoz.org Directory: Epistemology Philosophy