Hermeneutics initially came to be associated with the interpretation of biblical scripture, becoming a dominant movement within Protestant theology. But with the development of its principles and theory by, particularly, Heidegger and Gadamer, it became a distinctive philosophical movement in its own right and has come to be influential within the field of Literary Criticism. Very broadly speaking, philosophical hermeneutics is concerned with the process through which understanding may occur between-among two or more 'alien' others--whether alien due to religion, historical period, geography, language, generation, or any other cultural difference that imposes challenges to peaceful communication and mutual understanding. Hermeneutics Continental Philosophy Philosophy Society.
Hermeneutics was initially applied to the interpretation, or exegesis, of scripture. The terms "hermeneutics" and "exegesis" are sometimes used interchangeably. (wikipedia)
- Hermeneutics The theory and methodology of interpretation, especially the interpretation of biblical texts...
- Biblical hermeneutics The study of the principles of interpretation concerning the books of the Bible.
- Double hermeneutic The theory, expounded by sociologist Anthony Giddens, that everyday "lay" concepts and those from...
- hermeneutic circle The hermeneutic circle describes the process of understanding a text hermeneutically.
- Environmental hermeneutics A term for a wide range of scholarship that applies the techniques and resources of the...
- Biological Hermeneutics The transdisciplinary study of written and printed media using artistic and scientific methods to...
- Quranic hermeneutics The study of theories of the interpretation and understanding of the Qur'an, the Muslim holy book.
- Talmudic hermeneutics Talmudical hermeneutics defines the rules and methods for the investigation and exact...
- Theological hermeneutics A field of theology.
- Hermeneutic style A style of Latin in the later Roman and early Medieval periods characterised by the extensive use...
- Hermetic Meanings See related meanings for the word 'Hermetic'.
- Mythos & Logos: Martin Heidegger www
Biography including links to key figures, & Logos: Martin Heidegger, summary of his thought, and lengthy list of links to biographies, papers, and other Heidegger resources.
- Sample Philosophical Hermeneutics, or Theories of Interpretation www
Sample syllabus of Dr. Hermeneutics, or Theories of Interpretation. Harry Reeder's regularly taught (graduate and undergraduate) course on hermeneutics - this course will begin with a consideration of the background of philosophical hermeneutics (theories of interpretation) in modern philosophy (Descartes, Hume, Kant, Dilthey). Then it will follow the hermeneutic tradition in philosophy as it develops in the twentieth century, through a philosophical examination of the works of Edmund Husserl, Martin Heidegger, Hans-Georg Gadamer, Jürgen Habermas, Philosophical Hermeneutics, or Theories of Interpretation.
- Overview Nick Szabo -- Hermeneutics www
Overview of Philosophical hermeneutics with relevance to practical applications such as the development of common law, Szabo -- Hermeneutics, computational theory, and evolution. Nick Szabo -- Hermeneutics.
- Annotated Patrick A. Heelan www
Annotated bibliography from the professor's Georgetown University faculty profile. Patrick A. Heelan.
- An A Hermeneutic and Rhetoric of Dreams www
An essay by Cyd C. Hermeneutic and Rhetoric of Dreams. Ropp at Janus Head A Hermeneutic and Rhetoric of Dreams.
- Article Hermeneutics: From Textual Explication to Computer Understanding? www
Article by John C. From Textual Explication to Computer Understanding?. Mallery, Roger Hurwitz, and Gavan Duffy. After briefly reviewing the historical development of hermeneutics as a method of interpretation, this article examines the contributions of hermeneutics to the human sciences. This background provides perspective for a review of recent hermeneutically-oriented AI research, including the Alker, Lehnert and Schneider computer-assisted techniques for coding the affective structure of narratives, the earlier positive proposal by Winograd and Bateman, Hermeneutics: From Textual Explication to Computer Understanding?.
- Article Dialogue and Conversation: The Contribution of Gadamer, Habermas, Bohm and Others www
Article from The Encyclopedia of Informal Education exploring the related notions of dialogue and conversation in the thinking of Hans-Georg Gadamer, and Conversation: The Contribution of Gadamer, Habermas, Bohm and Others, Paulo Freire, Jürgen Habermas, and David Bohm. Dialogue and Conversation: The Contribution of Gadamer, Habermas, Bohm and Others.
- Site Foundationalism and Hermeneutics www
Site about the interaction of hermeneutics and foundationalism. and Hermeneutics. The interaction of hermeneutics and foundationalism is the same as the interaction of interpretation and reality. Our connection to reality may underdetermine the interpretation, leaving a range of possibilities, but it does impose a limit to interpretation, determining a certain range. What hermeneutics and foundationalism really represent, however, is something logically more precise. Hermeneutics is about interpretation, which is about mean Foundationalism and Hermeneutics.
- An International Institute of Hermeneutics www
An autonomous, Institute of Hermeneutics, international, and interdisciplinary research institute, founded to foster and articulate a general hermeneutics, a task demanding an intensive interdisciplinary collaboration on a level that does not yet exist in the contemporary university. It has a particular concentration in philosophy, religious studies, and comparative literature. International Institute of Hermeneutics.
- Drawing Preaching in a Postmodern Wor[l]d: Gadamer's Philosophical Hermeneutics www
Drawing on the Gadamer's "Truth and Method, a Postmodern Wor[l]d: Gadamer's Philosophical Hermeneutics," Jeffrey F. Bullock, explores a way of developing a homily "that is a process of ongoing conversation rather than a method of retrieval and/or representation of biblical texts." Preaching in a Postmodern Wor[l]d: Gadamer's Philosophical Hermeneutics.
- Richard Richard E. Palmer www
Richard Palmer has been one of America's leading experts in Hermeneutic philosophy for decades. Palmer. His textbook, "Hermeneutics" is well know to all who have studied in the field. His personal webpage includes a wealth of hermeneutic information, including the full text of four articles and an extensive bibliographic resource for those studying Gadamer. Richard E. Palmer.
- This Rhetorical Hermeneutics www
This volume provides thoughtful answers to a surprisingly large number of significant questions in the rhetoric of science and in rhetorical theory generally. Hermeneutics. Unlike most anthologies, there is no issue of continuity in this one. It contains treatments of the field's most central issues and has a group of well-known authors who, in fact, have helped to define the field. It should have a wide readership because of its topical interest, its attention to basic theoretical issues, and its presentation of high Rhetorical Hermeneutics.
- Article The Hermeneutics of Postmodernity and after www
Article by Gary B. Hermeneutics of Postmodernity and after. Madison at the conference, "After Post-modernism," highlighting the moral optimism of the hermeneutic branch of postmodern thought in opposition to "the dead-end of relativism and nihilism" characterized by poststructuralism and neopragmatism. The Hermeneutics of Postmodernity and after.
- Essay Transgressing the Boundaries: Towards a Transformative Hermeneutics of Quantum Gravity www
Essay by physicist, the Boundaries: Towards a Transformative Hermeneutics of Quantum Gravity, Alan Sokal, teasing philosophical implications from quantum mechanics, with a view to accommodating some feminist and poststructuralist critiques of the ideology of domination perceived to be inherent in the discourse of much of the scientific community. Transgressing the Boundaries: Towards a Transformative Hermeneutics of Quantum Gravity.
- Paul Buddhist Hermeneutics www
Paul Griffiths' review of the book, Hermeneutics, "Buddhist Hermeneutics" from the journal, Philosophy East and West, Vol.40 No.2 April 1990. Buddhist Hermeneutics.
- Word Worldtrade.com Reviews of Books about Gadamer's Hermeneutics www
Word Trade, Reviews of Books about Gadamer's Hermeneutics, describing itself as "an independent review agency serving the public, scholars, libraries, and booksellers," here provides reviews of books on or by Gadamer, including: Gadamer In Conversation: Reflections and Commentary by Hans Georg Gadamer; Hermeneutics and the voice of the other: Re-reading Gadamer's Philosophical Hermeneutics by James Risser; Dialogue and deconstruction: The Gadamer Derrida Encounter by Diane P. Michelfelder. Worldtrade.com Reviews of Books about Gadamer's Hermeneutics.
- Gadamer Hans-Georg Gadamer www
Gadamer Page at Mythos and Logos, Gadamer, including links to other Gadamer pages. Hans-Georg Gadamer.
- Biographical European Graduate School - Hans-Georg Gadamer www
Biographical information about Hans-Georg Gadamer, Graduate School - Hans-Georg Gadamer, German continental philosopher, known for Truth and Method and his hermeneutic method of interpreting texts. European Graduate School - Hans-Georg Gadamer.
- Biography Martin Heidegger - Biography www
Biography and bibliography of German philosopher Martin Heidegger, Heidegger - Biography, author of "Being and Time". Martin Heidegger - Biography.
- In Scripture Twisting Methods www
In the book "Scripture Twisting, Twisting Methods," James Sire has a chapter devoted to each of the methods. Includes a summary. Scripture Twisting Methods.
- Scripture, Post-Holocaust Hermeneutics www
Scripture, Hermeneutics, Sacrament, and the Jewish Body of Christ. Discusses at length the difficulties that some people have with the pseudo-semitic references in the Bible Post-Holocaust Hermeneutics.
- Article Emmanuel Levinas and the Prophetic Voice of Postmodernity www
Article by Anthony F. Levinas and the Prophetic Voice of Postmodernity. Beavers using Levinas' philosophy as a springboard to understanding moments in Western history. Emmanuel Levinas and the Prophetic Voice of Postmodernity.
- Biography European Graduate School - Emmanuel Levinas Biography www
Biography of philosopher Emmanuel Levinas, Graduate School - Emmanuel Levinas Biography, author of Totality and Infinity, at European Graduate School. European Graduate School - Emmanuel Levinas Biography.
- Biography Paul Ricoeur www
Biography and tribute provided by the International Balzan Foundation. Paul Ricoeur.
- Article Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy: Paul Ricoeur www
Article by Bernard Dauenhauer. Encyclopedia of Philosophy: Paul Ricoeur. Includes biographical information and bibliography, as well as a close look at several different aspects of Ricoeur's work. Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy: Paul Ricoeur.
- An Continental Philosophy Review www
An International Philosophical Review (formerly: Man and World)The central purpose of Continental Philosophy Review is to foster a living dialogue within the international community on philosophical issues of mutual interest. Continental Philosophy Review.
- Edited Continental Philosophy www
Edited by Hugh J. Philosophy. Silverman, the Routledge Continental Philosophy series features book-length studies of major figures and topics arising out of contemporary European thought and criticism. Includes the Bibliography Project (listing books published since 1998 in continental philosophy). Continental Philosophy.
- Alexa: Hermeneutics Continental Philosophy
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Hermeneutics Continental Philosophy
- DMOZ: Hermeneutics Continental Philosophy
dmoz.org Directory: Hermeneutics Continental Philosophy