A tradition stemming from the early 20th century, placing a strong emphasis on clarity and rigorous debate. It is conventionally opposed to "Continental Philosophy." Analytic Philosophy Philosophy Society.
Analytic philosophy (sometimes analytical philosophy ) is a style of philosophy that became dominant in English-speaking countries at the beginning of the 20th century. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Analytic philosophy is a style of philosophy that became dominant in the west at the beginning of the 20th century. In the United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Scandinavia, the majority of university philosophy departments today identify themselves as "analytic" departments. The term "analytic philosophy" can refer to one of several things: As a philosophical practice, it is characterized by an emphasis on argumentative clarity and precision, often making use of formal logic, conceptual analysis, and, to a lesser degree, mathematics and the natural sciences.
- Analytic philosophy Category
- Philosophical analysis - Philosophical analysis is a general term for techniques typically used by philosophers in the analytic tradition that involve "breaking down" philosophical issues. Arguably the most prominent of these techniques is the analysis of concepts.
- Postanalytic philosophy - Postanalytic philosophy describes a detachment from the mainstream philosophical movement of analytic philosophy, which is the predominant school of thought in English-speaking countries.
- Scientism - Scientism is the ideology of science. The term scientism generally points to the facile application of science in unwarranted situations not amenable to application of the scientific method.
- Philosophical traditions
- 20th-century philosophy
- Philosophical movements
- Contemporary philosophy
- Article Factasia: Analytic Philosophy www
Article by Roger Bishop Jones, Analytic Philosophy, concisely summarizing the origins and divisions of this tradition. Factasia: Analytic Philosophy.
- A Themes in Contemporary Analytic Philosophy As Reflected in the Work of Monty Python www
A highly accessible discussion of the chief issues in the analytic discourse of the 20th century. Contemporary Analytic Philosophy As Reflected in the Work of Monty Python. By Gary L. Hardcastle. Themes in Contemporary Analytic Philosophy As Reflected in the Work of Monty Python.
- Concise The Philosophical Gourmet Report: "Analytic" and "Continental" Philosophy www
Concise article on the contemporary condition and value of the analytic tradition. The Philosophical Gourmet Report: "Analytic" and "Continental" Philosophy.
- Review Review of `Origins of Analytical Philosophy' www
Review by Mitchell Green of the book by Michael Dummett, `Origins of Analytical Philosophy', which locates the origins of the gulf between analytical philosophy and phenomenology in some apparently minor divergences in the thought of Frege and Husserl about the relationship between concepts and language. Review of `Origins of Analytical Philosophy'.
- Electronic Sorites www
Electronic journal of philosophy devoted to the analytical tradition, Sorites, broadly construed. Includes online issues, information for submitters. Sorites.
- Organizational European Society for the Analytic Philosophy www
Organizational information, Society for the Analytic Philosophy, events, newsletter archive. European Society for the Analytic Philosophy.
- Article Wikipedia: Analytic Philosophy www
Article from this openly-edited reference. Wikipedia: Analytic Philosophy.
- Article Analytic Philosophy www
Article by Roger Jones on this tradition and its development from Frege to Rorty. Analytic Philosophy.
- Brief Hegelianism in the Twentieth Century www
Brief review of influence of Hegel in this century, the Twentieth Century, by Mario Rossi. Hegelianism in the Twentieth Century.
- Parachute 20th Century Philosophy www
Parachute overview of essential thought in Twentieth Century. 20th Century Philosophy.
- An Continental Philosophy Review www
An International Philosophical Review (formerly: Man and World)The central purpose of Continental Philosophy Review is to foster a living dialogue within the international community on philosophical issues of mutual interest. Continental Philosophy Review.
- Edited Continental Philosophy www
Edited by Hugh J. Philosophy. Silverman, the Routledge Continental Philosophy series features book-length studies of major figures and topics arising out of contemporary European thought and criticism. Includes the Bibliography Project (listing books published since 1998 in continental philosophy). Continental Philosophy.
- Brief Ordinary Language Philosophy www
Brief historical survey of ordinary language philosophy by Garth Kemerling. Ordinary Language Philosophy.
- Article Cognitive Turn and Linguistic Turn www
Article by Jean-Michel Roy presented at the 20th World Congress of Philosophy. Turn and Linguistic Turn. Argues that the linguistic turn of philosophy, the idea that the study of language illuminates long standing philosophical issues, has given way to a cognitive turn, centering on the study of the mind. Cognitive Turn and Linguistic Turn.
- Concise PhilosophyPages: Logical Positivism www
Concise survey of this school and the related doctrine of "ethical emotivism. Logical Positivism." PhilosophyPages: Logical Positivism.
- Collection PhilSci Archive: Logical Positivism/Logical Empiricism www
PhilSci Archive: Logical Positivism/Logical Empiricism.
- Article Two Types of Philosophical Analysis www
Article by Arkadiusz Gut, Types of Philosophical Analysis, presented at the 20th World Congress in Philosophy. Two Types of Philosophical Analysis.
- Definitions Varieties of Philosophical Analysis www
Definitions by Roger B. Philosophical Analysis. Jones. Varieties of Philosophical Analysis.
- Alexa: Analytic Philosophy Philosophy
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Analytic Philosophy Philosophy
- DMOZ: Analytic Philosophy Philosophy
dmoz.org Directory: Analytic Philosophy Philosophy