Philosophy of art, or aesthetics, is the branch of philosophy examining the nature of art and of the experience of art. Art, in this context, is broadly conceived as including the visual arts, literature, poetry, music, and dance. Aesthetics Philosophy Society.
Aesthetics ( / ɛ s ˈ θ ɛ t ɪ k s / ; also spelled æsthetics and esthetics also known in Greek as Αισθητική, or "Aisthētiké" ) is a branch of philosophy dealing with the nature of art, beauty, and taste, with the creation and appreciation of beauty. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Aesthetics is a branch of philosophy that explores the nature of art, beauty, and taste, with the creation and appreciation of beauty.
- Aesthetics Category
- Art periods - An art period is a phase in the development of the work of an artist, groups of artists or art movement.
- History of aesthetics before the 20th century - This description of the history of aesthetics before the twentieth century is based on an article from the Encyclop dia Britannica Eleventh Edition.
- Mise en sc ne - Mise-en-sc ne is an expression used to describe the design aspect of a theatre or film production, which essentially means "visual theme" or "telling a story"?both in visually artful ways through storyboarding, cinematography and stage design, and in poetically artful ways through direction.
- Theory of art - At the broadest level, a theory of art aims to shed light on some aspect of the project of defining art or to theorize about the structure of our concept of ?art' without providing classical definitions, namely definitions formulated in terms of "necessary and sufficient" conditions.
- Based Terrain Gallery www
Based on the philosophic principles of Aesthetic Realism, Gallery, founded by Eli Siegel. Located in SoHo, New York City. Terrain Gallery.
- Discussion The End of Art www
Discussion of "The Death of Art" theory at Frostburg State University Philosophical Forum. The End of Art.
- Malcolm Aesthetics : Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy Online www
Malcolm Budd's contribution on Aesthetics. Aesthetics : Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy Online.
- Exploring Theasif.info www
Exploring virtual reality and the philosophy of art, Theasif.info, with methodology, biography, and essays on virtuality. Theasif.info.
- Overview Japanese Aesthetics www
Overview of the most important aesthetic ideas that have arisen in the course of the Japanese philosophical tradition. Aesthetics. From the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Japanese Aesthetics.
- Including Philosophy and Literature www
Including ideas in the aesthetics of literature, and Literature, philosophical interpretation of literature, and literary treatment of philosophy, hosted by Project MUSE. Philosophy and Literature.
- Reference ArtLex - Art Dictionary www
Reference material in art, Art Dictionary, art history, art criticism, aesthetics, and art education. Definitions of thousands of terms, illustrations, quotations, and links to other resources. ArtLex - Art Dictionary.
- The WCP: Aesthetics and Philosophy of the Arts www
The Paideia Project: Proceedings of the 20th World Congress of Philosophy. Aesthetics and Philosophy of the Arts. Archive of contributed papers in WCP: Aesthetics and Philosophy of the Arts.
- Philosophical Aesthetic Judgment www
Philosophical theories about judgments of taste; from the Stanford Encyclopedia by Nick Zangwill. Aesthetic Judgment.
- Jacques 18th Century French Aesthetics www
Jacques Morizot's entry examines the French junction between Enlightenment ideals and the teachings of taste. Century French Aesthetics. From the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. 18th Century French Aesthetics.
- University African Art: Aesthetics and Meaning www
University of Virginia exhibition site emphasizing the formal aesthetic aspects of the objects and the moral and religious ideas they express, Art: Aesthetics and Meaning, beyond cultural boundaries. African Art: Aesthetics and Meaning.
- Quotations John Berger Quotes www
Quotations from the writings of the Marxist/humanist art critic, Berger Quotes, artist and novelist. John Berger Quotes.
- Stanley The Enchantment of Modern Life: Attachments, Crossings, and Ethics www
Stanley Bates reviews this book by Jane Bennett. Enchantment of Modern Life: Attachments, Crossings, and Ethics.From Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews. The Enchantment of Modern Life: Attachments, Crossings, and Ethics.
- Daniel The Transhistorical Image: Philosophizing Art and its History www
Daniel Herwitz reviews this book by Paul Crowther. Transhistorical Image: Philosophizing Art and its History. From Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews. The Transhistorical Image: Philosophizing Art and its History.
- Complete Class Home Page: Philosophy 361 www
Complete Philosophy of Art internet course at California State University, Home Page: Philosophy 361, Long Beach. Includes e-texts and extensive links. Class Home Page: Philosophy 361.
- Composer, Thomas Becker's Philosophy about Music www
Composer, Becker's Philosophy about Music, Thomas Becker's ideas about beauty and quality in music. Thomas Becker's Philosophy about Music.
- Series Adrian Stokes www
Series of articles reviews life and work. Stokes. Annotated bibliography. Adrian Stokes.
- An Beauty in the Ear of the Beholder www
An essay discussing Eduard Hanslick's theory of the musically beautiful, the Ear of the Beholder, with links to further information and sound recordings. Beauty in the Ear of the Beholder.
- Sources The Infography - Aesthetics: Ethical Aspects www
Sources for the study of the ethical aspects of aesthetics. The Infography - Aesthetics: Ethical Aspects.
- Describing Physics, Philosophy and Art www
Describing 3 views on the world. Physics, Philosophy and Art.
- List Roger Scruton's Books on Aesthetics www
List of Roger Scruton's books including his books on aesthetics and synopsis of each. Roger Scruton's Books on Aesthetics.
- Barry Aesthetics www
Barry Hartley Slater gives an overview of this branch of philosophy explaining concepts such as sublime, Aesthetics, representation, aesthetic value, and expression.From the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Aesthetics.
- A Aesthetics of Symmetry www
A numerical rating system to judge the visual impact and aesthetics of various motifs operated upon by symmetrical transformations. Aesthetics of Symmetry.
- Developing B-U-T, a Beauty Puzzle www
Developing web brain, Beauty Puzzle, concerned with the puzzling myriad of aspects of the universal phenomenon: beauty. B-U-T, a Beauty Puzzle.
- Criteria Contemporary Art Test www
Criteria for determining quality in contemporary art. Art Test. Links to Biddington's art business. Contemporary Art Test.
- Exploration Metaphysics and Art www
Exploration of the classical and scholastic Philosophy of Art, and Art, and a discussion of modern art, especially Kandinsky, in the light of classical thought. By Dr. Piotr Jaroszynski. Metaphysics and Art.
- Mailing Aesthetics-L www
Mailing list for the exchange of ideas and information about aesthetics and philosophy of art. Aesthetics-L.
- Aesthetics Transcendental Aesthetics and Writing www
Aesthetics in transcendental literature, Aesthetics and Writing, including Emerson and Thoreau. Transcendental Aesthetics and Writing.
- Download Seven Discourses on Art by Sir Joshua Reynolds www
Download the Project Gutenberg eBook of Seven Discourses on Art by Sir Joshua Reynolds. Seven Discourses on Art by Sir Joshua Reynolds.
- Articles Beauty Matters www
Articles and teaching resources on aesthetics, Matters, visual art, fashion and the culture of beauty. Beauty Matters.
- Topics Trevor Pateman's Selected Works www
Topics in philosophical aesthetics including imagination, Pateman's Selected Works, formalism, beauty and Rothko. Trevor Pateman's Selected Works.
- Weblog Aesthesis www
Weblog devoted to the discussion of aesthetics and art related topics. Aesthesis.
- Partial George Dickie Home Page www
Partial CV of George T. Dickie Home Page. Dickie. George Dickie Home Page.
- Eli Eli Siegel Collection www
Eli Siegel explained that aesthetics is central not only to art but the sciences. Siegel Collection. Underlying science, art, and the human self are the philosophic opposites they have in common. Eli Siegel Collection.
- Detail International Society for Mathematical and Computational Aesthetics www
Detail and analysis on the development of CAD and other influences in contemporary design. International Society for Mathematical and Computational Aesthetics.
- The Aesthetic Realism Foundation www
The New York based, Realism Foundation, not-for-profit Aesthetic Realism Foundation teaches the education founded by the American poet, critic, and philosopher Eli Siegel. Aesthetic Realism Foundation.
- An The Physiology of Taste www
An etext of this classic eclectic work of culinary commentary, Physiology of Taste, as rendered into English by Fayette Robinson. Available in HTML sections or as a ZIP file. The Physiology of Taste.
- Article Eating the World: Food Without Frontiers www
Article by Roger Scruton examining the relation of modernity to the culture of food. Eating the World: Food Without Frontiers.
- Published The British Journal of Aesthetics www
Published to promote study, British Journal of Aesthetics, research, and discussion of the fine arts and related types of experience from a interdisciplinary standpoint. Printed. The British Journal of Aesthetics.
- Interdisciplinary Public Culture www
Interdisciplinary journal of cultural studies. Public Culture.
- Alexa: Aesthetics Philosophy
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Aesthetics Philosophy
- DMOZ: Aesthetics Philosophy
dmoz.org Directory: Aesthetics Philosophy