Philosophy, from the Greek words philo (love) and sophia (wisdom), refers to the rational inquiry of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, and conduct. Its traditional main branches are metaphysics, the study of the ultimate nature of reality, epistemology, the investigation of the origins and limits of knowledge, ethics, dealing with morality and justice, and aesthetics, the study of beauty in the arts. Philosophy Society.
Historically, "philosophy" encompassed any body of knowledge. From the time of Ancient Greek philosopher Aristotle to the 19th century, " natural philosophy " encompassed astronomy, medicine and physics. (wikipedia)
- Philosophy The study of general and fundamental problems concerning matters such as existence, knowledge...
- Philosophy of life At least two senses in which the term philosophy is used: a formal and an informal sense.
- Philosophical system A position that explains or accounts for a general philosophy or specific branch of...
- Philosophy (journal) The scholarly journal of the Royal Institute of Philosophy.
- Philosophy (album) An album by the British dance music duo Coldcut released in 1993.
- Philosophy: The Best of Bill Hicks A compilation album of routines by Bill Hicks.
- "Philosophy" (Ben Folds Five song) A song from Ben Folds Five's 1995 self-titled debut album. It was written by Ben Folds.
- List Australasian Universities Offering a Philosophy Program www
List of philosophy departments in Australia and New Zealand, Universities Offering a Philosophy Program, maintained by the Australasian Association of Philosophy. Australasian Universities Offering a Philosophy Program.
- List American and Canadian Philosophy Centers and Institutes www
List of centers and institutes focusing on philosophical themes in Canada and the United States, and Canadian Philosophy Centers and Institutes, maintained by the American Philosophical Association. American and Canadian Philosophy Centers and Institutes.
- University African Art: Aesthetics and Meaning www
University of Virginia exhibition site emphasizing the formal aesthetic aspects of the objects and the moral and religious ideas they express, Art: Aesthetics and Meaning, beyond cultural boundaries. African Art: Aesthetics and Meaning.
- Developing B-U-T, a Beauty Puzzle www
Developing web brain, Beauty Puzzle, concerned with the puzzling myriad of aspects of the universal phenomenon: beauty. B-U-T, a Beauty Puzzle.
- Article Analytic Philosophy www
Article by Roger Jones on this tradition and its development from Frege to Rorty. Analytic Philosophy.
- Review Review of `Origins of Analytical Philosophy' www
Review by Mitchell Green of the book by Michael Dummett, `Origins of Analytical Philosophy', which locates the origins of the gulf between analytical philosophy and phenomenology in some apparently minor divergences in the thought of Frege and Husserl about the relationship between concepts and language. Review of `Origins of Analytical Philosophy'.
- Interactive Allphilosophy www
Interactive forum for threaded philosophical discussion. Allphilosophy. Integrated chatterbox. Allphilosophy.
- A Ask the Philosopher www
A place to ask and discuss philosophical questions using bulletin boards, the Philosopher, forms, chat, and e-mail. Ask the Philosopher.
- Three-day Toward a Free and Virtuous Society Conference www
Three-day seminars for future religious leaders, Free and Virtuous Society Conference, offering an introduction to the moral foundations of personal and economic liberty. Faculty biographies, FAQs, application, and a virtual tour. Toward a Free and Virtuous Society Conference.
- The Kierkegaard and Asia Conference www
The first International Kierkegaard Conference to be held in the Pacific Rim will be 2-5 December 2005 at the University of Melbourne. Kierkegaard and Asia Conference.
- This Continental Philosophy by Bruce B. Janz www
This page is intended to provide resources and links for researchers and students (particularly students at Augustana University College) in the various areas of continental philosophy. Continental Philosophy by Bruce B. Janz.
- Lessons Philosophy and Spirituality www
Lessons in Continental Philosophy. and Spirituality. It bridges the gap between Anglo-Saxon and Continental Philosophy, and Western and Indian Philosophy. Philosophy and Spirituality.
- Alexa: Philosophy Society
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Philosophy Society
- DMOZ: Philosophy Society
dmoz.org Directory: Philosophy Society