This section is devoted to resources for volunteers and volunteer management - the knowledge, skill, and resources that make up the profession of volunteer program management. These links provide access to the most useful general web sites for effective volunteerism and volunteer development and management. Volunteering Philanthropy Society.
Volunteering is generally considered an altruistic activity where an individual or group provides services for no financial gain "to benefit another person, group or organization". (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Volunteering is generally considered an altruistic activity where an individual or group provides services for no financial gain "to benefit another person, group or organization". Volunteering is also renowned for skill development and is often intended to promote goodness or to improve human quality of life. Volunteering may have positive benefits for the volunteer as well as for the person or community served. It is also intended to make contacts for possible employment. Many volunteers are specifically trained in the areas they work, such as medicine, education, or emergency rescue. Others serve on an as-needed basis, such as in response to a natural disaster.
- Volunteering Category
- Association for Leaders in Volunteer Engagement (AL!VE).
- Association for Volunteer Administration (AVA).
- Avocation - An avocation is an activity that someone engages in as a hobby outside their main occupation. There are many examples of people whose professions were the ways that they made their livings, but for whom their activities outside their workplaces were their true passions in life.
- Crossing guard - A crossing guard, a school crossing patrol officer, crosswalk attendant or school road patrol and guard is a traffic management volunteer who is normally stationed on busy roadways to aid pedestrians.
- Micro-volunteering - Micro-volunteering describes a volunteer, or team of volunteers, completing small tasks that make up a larger project. These tasks often benefit a research, charitable, or non-governmental organization.
- Military volunteer - A military volunteer is a person who enlists in military service by free will, and is not a mercenary or a foreign legionnaire. Volunteers often enlist to fight in the armed forces of a foreign country. Military volunteers are essential for the operation of volunteer militaries.
- Social ethics
- Civil society
- Provides Nicodemus Wilderness Project www
Provides global volunteer resources and opportunities that empower youth to help save the environment while they develop leadership skills. Wilderness Project. Project essays and photos are published online. Nicodemus Wilderness Project.
- Provides 1-800-Volunteer.org www
Provides resources and opportunities to facilitate collaboration between volunteers and nonprofits. 1-800-Volunteer.org.
- Offers South Dublin County Volunteer Centre www
Offers placement service, Dublin County Volunteer Centre, support, advice and information on policy issues, training and consultancy on involving volunteers, and Garda Vetting service. South Dublin County Volunteer Centre.
- Allows eVolunteer.co.uk www
Allows charities and voluntary organisations to recruit volunteers. eVolunteer.co.uk. Online categorised search for international volunteer opportunities. eVolunteer.co.uk.
- The e-Volunteerism www
The electronic journal of the volunteer community. e-Volunteerism. Feature articles, archive and subscription information. e-Volunteerism.
- A Single Volunteers www
A way for single folks to meet other singles and volunteer their talents to worthy organizations. Volunteers. Links to chapters in North America and Australia. Single Volunteers.
- The Institute for Volunteering Research www
The Institute aims to develop knowledge and understanding of volunteering. for Volunteering Research. The site contains summaries of recent research and information on the journal, Voluntary Action. Institute for Volunteering Research.
- A World Volunteer Web www
A resource for networking and dissemination of information, Volunteer Web, to develop an inclusive and global volunteer information portal. Provided by United Nations Volunteers (UNV). World Volunteer Web.
- CBC Volunteers in Canada www
CBC report on volunteerism and charity in Canada. Canada. Includes background information and links. Volunteers in Canada.
- The Volunteers Week www
The UK's annual celebration of volunteering. Week. An opportunity for organisations to recognise reward and recruit volunteers. Volunteers Week.
- Encourages, Krista Foundation for Global Citizenship www
Encourages, Foundation for Global Citizenship, funds and supports young adults to allow them to undertake voluntary service in America's inner cities and in developing nations. Krista Foundation for Global Citizenship.
- A Idealist - Action without Borders www
A "global clearinghouse of nonprofit and volunteering resources", Action without Borders, offering a directory of volunteer opportunities and other resources. (in French, Spanish and English) Idealist - Action without Borders.
- Monthly Volunteer Today www
Monthly web-zine by Nancy Macduff of Macduff-Bunt Associates. Today. Regular sections include news, recruitment and retention, training, and links. MBA also provides an online catalogue of their books. Volunteer Today.
- Portal Hearts and Minds Network www
Portal to volunteering, and Minds Network, self-help and inspiration resources worldwide. Addresses poverty, the environment, democracy, human rights, addictions and other important issues. Hearts and Minds Network.
- Information Volunteering England www
Information and advice for those who manage volunteers and for people considering doing voluntary work. Volunteering England.
- Provides International Medical Volunteers Association www
Provides information about international health volunteer work and helps volunteers and organizations find each other. International Medical Volunteers Association.
- An ICVolunteers www
An international non-profit organization specializing in the field of communication. ICVolunteers. It recruits, trains and coordinates volunteers for non-profit projects (conference support, cyber-volunteering, language services), both for its own programs and in the context of support provided to its partners. [French, Spanish and English] ICVolunteers.
- Provides United States Agency for International Development (USAID) www
Provides economic, States Agency for International Development (USAID), development and humanitarian assistance around the world in support of the foreign policy goals of the United States while improving the lives of the citizens of the developing world. Includes information on agency programs, meeting schedules, current news items, publications and resources. United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
- Supports United Nations Volunteers (UNV) www
Supports human development globally by promoting volunteerism and by mobilizing volunteers. Nations Volunteers (UNV). Includes news on partnerships and activities, information for volunteers, and publications. United Nations Volunteers (UNV).
- News, Serve Your World www
News, Your World, articles, and guides on volunteering abroad with free directory of non-profit volunteer opportunities. Serve Your World.
- Discussion CyberVPM.com - Volunteer Program Management www
Discussion group for volunteer managers. Volunteer Program Management. Resource section included. Operated by the Association for Volunteer Administration. CyberVPM.com - Volunteer Program Management.
- Contains OzVPM - Australasian Volunteer Program Management www
Contains information and resources including monthly "Hot Topics", Australasian Volunteer Program Management, award information, training and job listings in the Australasian region. OzVPM - Australasian Volunteer Program Management.
- Helps Vanguard Charitable Endowment Program www
Helps individuals setup a donor-advised fund and choose which charities will benefit. Charitable Endowment Program. Includes fee structure, program overview, benefits, giving options, brochures, and contact information. Vanguard Charitable Endowment Program.
- Encourages National Center for Family Philanthropy www
Encourages families and individuals to create and sustain philanthropic family foundations. Center for Family Philanthropy. Offers programs, publications, articles, resource links, a newsletter, calendar of events, and a FAQ. National Center for Family Philanthropy.
- Alexa: Volunteering Philanthropy
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Volunteering Philanthropy
- DMOZ: Volunteering Philanthropy
dmoz.org Directory: Volunteering Philanthropy