Organizations engaged in several initiatives for funding and promoting dissemination of knowledge, in particular access to scientific resources. Visit http:--www.earlham.edu-~peters-fos- for overview material appropriate as a starting point to learn about open access, but keep in mind this generality: "Open-access (OA) literature is digital, online, free of charge, and free of most copyright and licensing restrictions." Open Access Organizations Society.
Open access ( OA ) refers to online research outputs that are free of all restrictions on access (e. (wikipedia)
- Open access Open access refers to online research outputs that are free of all restrictions on access and...
- Open access journal Available online to the reader "without financial, legal, or technical barriers other than those...
- Open communication The ability of anyone, on equal conditions with a transparent relation between cost and pricing...
- OpenAccess A coalition amongst integrated circuit manufacturers to provide a standard for designing chips.
- Open access (economics) Non-excludable resources in economics.
- Provides Open Knowledge Definition www
Provides criteria for openness in relation to data, Knowledge Definition, content, and software services. Open Knowledge Definition.
- Provides Book Aid International www
Provides books to libraries, Aid International, hospitals, refugee camps and schools in order to support literacy, education, training and publishing in over 40 countries around the world. Concentrates over 85% of its resources on 13 countries in sub-Saharan Africa. Book Aid International.
- A The Essential Electronic Agricultural Library (TEEAL) www
A full-text and bibliographic CD-ROM library of over 140 of the world's most important scientific journals in the field of agriculture. Essential Electronic Agricultural Library (TEEAL). It is available well below cost to over 100 of the lowest-income food deficit countries, as listed in the World Bank's World Development Report. The Essential Electronic Agricultural Library (TEEAL).
- Not-for-profit The Open Knowledge Foundation www
Not-for-profit organization promoting open knowledge. Open Knowledge Foundation. Includes information on its various database projects, events, a blog, and how to get involved and provide support. The Open Knowledge Foundation.
- Assists International Institute for Communication and Development (IICD) www
Assists developing countries to realise locally owned sustainable development by harnessing the potential of information and communication technologies (ICTs). Institute for Communication and Development (IICD). International Institute for Communication and Development (IICD).
- Technological International Consortium for the Advancement of Academic Publication (ICAAP) www
Technological support for the delivery of scholarly content. Consortium for the Advancement of Academic Publication (ICAAP). Develops protocols for the delivery of scholarly content, provides software for journal management and publication, hosts a database of free scholarly journals and resources. International Consortium for the Advancement of Academic Publication (ICAAP).
- PLoS. Public Library of Science www
PLoS. Library of Science. Non-profit organization of scientists committed to making the world's scientific and medical literature freely accessible to scientists and to the public around the world. Promotion of free access online journals and eprints archives. Public Library of Science.
- INASP. International Network for the Availability of Scientific Publications www
INASP. Network for the Availability of Scientific Publications. Its mission is to enhance the flow of information within and between countries, especially those with less developed systems of publication and dissemination. International Network for the Availability of Scientific Publications.
- OSI. Open Society Institute www
OSI. Society Institute. Promotes the development and maintenance of open societies around the world through an array of activities dealing with educational, social, legal, and health care reform. Open Society Institute.
- Digital James Burke's Knowledge Web www
Digital incarnation of the James Burke's television programs. Burke's Knowledge Web. Visitors can create their own pathways through history, contribute content and investigate virtual reality learning spaces. James Burke's Knowledge Web.
- Provides AGORA www
Provides access to over 500 journals from major scientific publishers in the fields of food, AGORA, agriculture, environmental science and related social sciences. AGORA is available to students and researchers in qualifying not-for-profit institutions in eligible developing countries. AGORA.
- Online Nature Debates: E-Access www
Online forum hosted by Nature Online concerning the impact of the web on the future of publishing and the dissemination of scientific information. Nature Debates: E-Access.
- Forum American Scientist Forum on Open Access www
Forum devoted to the freeing of online access to the peer-reviewed research literature. Scientist Forum on Open Access. Continuous since 1998. American Scientist Forum on Open Access.
- Non-profit Union for the Public Domain www
Non-profit citizens group, for the Public Domain, seeking to protect and enhance the public domain in matters concerning intellectual property. Union for the Public Domain.
- Industry, Kansas City InfoZine - Personal Technology Freedom Coalition Created www
Industry, City InfoZine - Personal Technology Freedom Coalition Created, academic, and public interest groups support bill to improve consumer rights and protect technological innovation. Kansas City InfoZine - Personal Technology Freedom Coalition Created.
- Alexa: Open Access Organizations
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Open Access Organizations
- DMOZ: Open Access Organizations
dmoz.org Directory: Open Access Organizations