This section is composed of sites that relate to Neo-Luddism. In addition to sites dedicated to that lifestyle, it may contain sites that provide a historical or humorous perspective on this lifestyle. Luddism Lifestyle Choices Society.
Luddites were 19th-century English textile workers (or self-employed weavers who feared the end of their trade) who protested against newly developed labour-economising technologies, primarily between 1811 and 1816. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: The Luddites were a radical group of English textile workers and weavers in the 19th century who destroyed weaving machinery as a form of protest. The group was protesting the use of machinery in a "fraudulent and deceitful manner" to get around standard labour practices. Luddites feared that the time spent learning the skills of their craft would go to waste as machines would replace their role in the industry. It is a misconception that the Luddites protested against the machinery itself in an attempt to halt the progress of technology. Over time, however, the term has come to mean one opposed to industrialisation, automation, computerisation, or new technologies in general. The Luddite movement began in Nottingham and culminated in a region-wide rebellion that lasted from 1811 to 1816. Mill owners took to shooting protesters and eventually the movement was suppressed with military force.
- Development criticism - Postdevelopment theory holds that the whole concept and practice of development is a reflection of Western-Northern hegemony over the rest of the world. Postdevelopment thought arose in the 1980s out of criticisms voiced against development projects and development theory, which justified them.
- Simple living - Simple living encompasses a number of different voluntary practices to simplify one's lifestyle. These may include, for example, reducing one's possessions, generally referred to as minimalism, or increasing self-sufficiency.
- Technophobia - Technophobia is the fear or dislike of advanced technology or complex devices, especially computers. Although there are numerous interpretations of technophobia, they become more complex as technology continues to evolve.
- Turner Controversy ? return to pre-industrial methods of production.
- Criticism of science
- 19th century in the United Kingdom
- History of social movements
- Agrarian politics
- History of the textile industry
- A The Supercomputing Institute @Luddite.net www
A group of Neo-Luddites working on Linux, Supercomputing Institute @Luddite.net, using a network of systems to solve problems that interest them. The Supercomputing Institute @Luddite.net.
- Opinion I-resign.com: In Defence of Luddism www
Opinion piece by T. Defence of Luddism.J. Snaith. I-resign.com: In Defence of Luddism.
- Dispatch The Last Luddite Gets Wired by Ron Rosenbaum www
Dispatch in Slate Magazine. The Last Luddite Gets Wired by Ron Rosenbaum.
- Articles On-line Luddism Index www
Articles by Bill Joy, Luddism Index, Kirkpatrick Sale, John Zerzan, Langdon Winner and other Luddish theorists. On-line Luddism Index.
- Essay Is it OK to be a Luddite? www
Essay by novelist Thomas Pynchon that discusses the history of the Luddite movement and the many ways it has resurfaced throughout the years. OK to be a Luddite?. Reprinted from The New York Times Book Review. Is it OK to be a Luddite?.
- Ex-Workers CrimethInc www
Ex-Workers Collective (CWC) primitivist portal, CrimethInc, offering news, feature commentary, library of primary texts, clip art and publication downloads, and related links. Content available in a variety of languages. CrimethInc.
- Information Wildroots Ecovillage www
Information about the primitivist (green anarachist) collectively stewarded mountain land project about 45 minutes outside of Asheville, Ecovillage, NC. Wildroots Ecovillage.
- The Writings of Theodore J. Kaczynski www
The full-text of Kaczynski's doctoral dissertation, Theodore J. Kaczynski, and summaries of his papers on mathematics. Writings of Theodore J. Kaczynski.
- Internet Pioneer Thinking www
Internet natural living community. Thinking. Share health, home, and beauty tips, men's health, and crafts. Pioneer Thinking.
- An Better Times Webzine www
An e-zine of sustainable, Times Webzine, simple, and frugal living, published by the Oscar Romero Catholic Worker House. Better Times Webzine.
- Works Lucy Stone League www
Works towards equal rights for women and men to retain, Stone League, modify, and create their names at marriage and throughout life and towards equality of patrilineal/matrilineal name distribution for children. Includes a name freedom choice test, news, ways to help, and recommended reading. Lucy Stone League.
- People Society for Barefoot Living www
People who love going barefoot all the time as a lifestyle choice. for Barefoot Living. Informative articles and links. Society for Barefoot Living.
- Alexa: Luddism Lifestyle Choices
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Luddism Lifestyle Choices
- DMOZ: Luddism Lifestyle Choices
dmoz.org Directory: Luddism Lifestyle Choices