An Intentional Community is an inclusive term for cohousing, residential land trusts, communes, student co-ops, urban housing cooperatives, and related projects for those who choose (i.e. "intend") to participate in them. That is, these communities are organized around a core set of values or belief systems to which their members adhere. Some groups may be utopian and others separatist in spirit, while others are designed to be models for mainstream society to observe and perhaps emulate. Eco-villages, communes and kibbutzes, and Biblical Christian reserves are among the types of communities to be found in this section. Intentional Communities Lifestyle Choices Society.
- Wikipedia: An intentional community is a planned residential community designed from the start to have a high degree of social cohesion and teamwork. The members of an intentional community typically hold a common social, political, religious, or spiritual vision and often follow an alternative lifestyle. They typically share responsibilities and resources. Intentional communities include collective households, cohousing communities, coliving, ecovillages, monasteries, communes, survivalist retreats, kibbutzim, ashrams, and housing cooperatives. New members of an intentional community are generally selected by the community's existing membership, rather than by real-estate agents or land owners.
- Community garden - A community garden is a single piece of land gardened collectively by a group of people. Community gardens utilize either individual or shared plots on private or public land while producing fruit, vegetables, and/or plants that are grown for attractive appearances.
- Cooperation - Cooperation is the process of groups of organisms working or acting together for common or mutual benefit, as opposed to working in competition for selfish benefit. Many animal and plant species cooperate both with other members of their own species and with members of other species.
- Utopian socialism - Utopian socialism is a label used to define the first currents of modern socialist thought as exemplified by the work of Henri de Saint-Simon, Charles Fourier, tienne Cabet, and Robert Owen.
- Intentional living
- Housing cooperatives
- Types of communities
- Intentional communities
- Intentional Communities www
Provides information and resources for seekers of community, Communities, including large directory, classified ads, Communities Magazine, Communities Directory, sale of community-related books and materials.
- Global Ecovillage Network www
Information about communities of people striving to live sustainably, Ecovillage Network, including directory, news, resources, educational programs.
- Discussion New Liberty Village www
Discussion and content about social invention, Liberty Village, intentional community, government, alternative tools and shelter, health, gardening, beliefs, and dreams. New Liberty Village.
- A Managing the Spiritual Neighborhood www
A program for creating community in the place where you live, the Spiritual Neighborhood, including spirituality, back-to-the-earth civic responsibility, and neighborhood management. Managing the Spiritual Neighborhood.
- Multidisciplinary, International Communal Studies Association - ICSA www
Multidisciplinary, Communal Studies Association - ICSA, academic organization for scholarly exchange regarding communes, intentional communities, collective settlements and kibbutz. International Communal Studies Association - ICSA.
- "Down EcoNomads www
"Down to earth nomads in quest of future civilization. EcoNomads." Travelogue reports on visits to ecovillages, intentional communities, communes, and other co-living projects around the world. EcoNomads.
- Scholarly Communal Studies Association www
Scholarly group which studies present and past communal societies of the United States. Studies Association. Includes membership information, fellowships and awards, publications, conferences, links, and bibliography. Communal Studies Association.
- Network Federation of Egalitarian Communities www
Network of communal (income-sharing) groups in North America, Egalitarian Communities, includes information about member communities, articles about communal life, and related resources. Federation of Egalitarian Communities.
- Auroville Auroville Universal Township www
Auroville is a city in the make in south-India, Universal Township, dedicated to human unity, and based on the vision of Sri Aurobindo and The Mother. Auroville Universal Township.
- This Gaviotas: A Village to Reinvent the World www
This book by veteran journalist Alan Weisman is a stirring, Village to Reinvent the World, hopeful environmental story. It describes Colombian visionaries who decided in 1971 to prove they could thrive in their country's barren, rain-leached eastern savannas in true harmony with nature. Gaviotas: A Village to Reinvent the World.
- Multi-denominational Alleluia www
Multi-denominational community in Georgia (USA). Alleluia.
- The Aggressive Christianity www
The Shimrana Ekklesia Community led by James and Deborah Green in Fence Lake, Christianity, New Mexico. Visions, beliefs, and sermons. Aggressive Christianity.
- Wonderland Wonderland Hill Cohousing Development www
Wonderland Hill Development Company is the largest cohousing developer in the United States. Wonderland Hill Cohousing Development.
- Resource Canadian Cohousing Network www
Resource for cohousing communities in Canada, Cohousing Network, working together to create healthy sustainable communities. Canadian Cohousing Network.
- Book Diggers & Dreamers - The Guide to Communal Living in Britain www
Book is a directory of communities in Great Britain, & Dreamers - The Guide to Communal Living in Britain, including intentional communities, cohousing projects, housing co-operatives, eco-villages and utopian lifestyles. Site also contains searchable database of the communities, articles, FAQs, and links. Diggers & Dreamers - The Guide to Communal Living in Britain.
- Intentional Eurotopia www
Intentional communities and ecovillages in Europe Eurotopia.
- Web The Taizé Community www
Web pages of the Ecumenical Community of Taizé in France The Taizé Community.
- A Tamera - Center for Humane Ecology www
A cooperative of people in Portugal who work for the future with the intention to build a model for a nonviolent culture. Tamera - Center for Humane Ecology.
- Works Lucy Stone League www
Works towards equal rights for women and men to retain, Stone League, modify, and create their names at marriage and throughout life and towards equality of patrilineal/matrilineal name distribution for children. Includes a name freedom choice test, news, ways to help, and recommended reading. Lucy Stone League.
- People Society for Barefoot Living www
People who love going barefoot all the time as a lifestyle choice. for Barefoot Living. Informative articles and links. Society for Barefoot Living.
- Alexa: Intentional Communities Lifestyle Choices
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Intentional Communities Lifestyle Choices
- DMOZ: Intentional Communities Lifestyle Choices
dmoz.org Directory: Intentional Communities Lifestyle Choices