The primary purpose of sites included in this section is the provision of legal information to the public and to legal practitioners at no cost. Sites will only be included if they offer significant amounts of free information on their websites. Providers of commercial products and services should only submit to this section if their websites and pages offer significant free content. [Note: If you are looking for an attorney rather than legal information, you should look under the section Society: Law: Attorneys and Law Firms.] If you cannot find the information that you need in Society: Law: Legal Information, you may find it in the Society: Law: Reference section, which is a repository for sites that contain official legal reference materials. Legal Information Law Society.
- Wikipedia: Legal advice is the giving of a professional or formal opinion regarding the substance or procedure of the law in relation to a particular factual situation. The provision of legal advice will often involve analyzing a set of facts and advising a person to take a specific course of action based on the applicable law.
- Legal aid - Legal aid is the provision of assistance to people otherwise unable to afford legal representation and access to the court system. Legal aid is regarded as central in providing access to justice by ensuring equality before the law, the right to counsel and the right to a fair trial.
- Legal awareness - Legal awareness sometimes called Public legal education, is the empowerment of individuals regarding issues involving the law. Legal awareness helps to promote consciousness of legal culture, participation in the formation of laws and the rule of law.
- Practice of law
- Civil law (common law)
- Legal Information Institute www
Legal information organized by topic from Cornell Law School. Information Institute.
- General FreeAdvice.com www
General legal information, FreeAdvice.com, organized topically for over 100 legal topics. FreeAdvice.com.
- Online Nolo www
Online legal information, Nolo, along with sales of self-help books and software. Nolo.
- Offering WORLDLawDirect www
Offering concise articles for a wide assortment of legal matters, WORLDLawDirect, and paid question and answer service. WORLDLawDirect.
- Offering LawInfo www
Offering legal FAQs, LawInfo, as well as directories of legal professionals and provision of paralegal services. LawInfo.
- Videos Clientelevision www
Videos explaining the law for consumers and small business owners. Clientelevision.
- Instruction American Bar Association - Consumers' Guide to Legal Help www
Instruction on obtaining legal information and services. American Bar Association - Consumers' Guide to Legal Help.
- An Law Made Easy www
An assortment of articles and forms on subject including estate planning and administration, Made Easy, business and finance, real estate, divorce, and religion. Law Made Easy.
- Providing GotTrouble.com www
Providing basic legal information, GotTrouble.com, and directories of professionals and service providers. GotTrouble.com.
- Canadian Duhaime.org www
Canadian legal information and resources. Duhaime.org.
- Legal FindLaw www
Legal guide providing cases, FindLaw, codes, forms, articles and links, law schools, bar associations, directories of service providers, and continuing legal education, with information for legal professionals, business, students, and the public. FindLaw.
- Articles ExpertLaw www
Articles on a variety of legal subjects. ExpertLaw.
- Articles, Gambling and the Law www
Articles, and the Law, charts, links and resources on gaming law, and the resume of the site's creator, Professor I. Nelson Rose. Gambling and the Law.
- An Legal Information Institute www
An overview of administrative law with links to key primary and secondary sources, Information Institute, from Cornell Law School. Legal Information Institute.
- The United Nations Oceans and Law of the Sea www
The United Nations website for the Division for Ocean Affairs and the Law of the Sea, Nations Oceans and Law of the Sea, Office of Legal Affairs. United Nations Oceans and Law of the Sea.
- A Admiralty and Maritime Law Guide www
A guide to internet resources for admiralty attorneys and maritime professionals, and Maritime Law Guide, published by Betancourt, Van Hemmen, Greco & Kenyon LLC and edited by Todd Kenyon. Admiralty and Maritime Law Guide.
- Resources Federal Aviation Association - International Aviation Safety Assessment www
Resources on safety and regulation. Federal Aviation Association - International Aviation Safety Assessment.
- Resources Institute of Air and Space Law www
Resources relating to international law and aviation. Institute of Air and Space Law.
- Bankruptcy BankruptcyData.Com www
Bankruptcy reference source, BankruptcyData.Com, containing information on publicly traded companies with total assets of at least ten million. BankruptcyData.Com.
- An Moran Law Group www
An overview of consumer and business bankruptcy law Moran Law Group.
- Legal Out-Law.com www
Legal news, Out-Law.com, information and contracts, focused on the United Kingdom and Hong Kong, for technology and Internet businesses. Out-Law.com.
- Official Business.gov www
Official business portal of the U. Business.gov.S. government, providing guides and resources that help businesses comply with business laws and government regulations. Business.gov.
- Public ExpertLaw Forums www
Public discussion forums on a wide range of legal issues. ExpertLaw Forums.
- Chatboards Counsel.net www
Chatboards and classified ads on a variety of legal subjects. Counsel.net.
- Alexa: Legal Information Law
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Legal Information Law
- DMOZ: Legal Information Law
dmoz.org Directory: Legal Information Law