Slavery Labor Issues Society.
Slavery is a legal or economic system in which principles of property law are applied to humans allowing them to be classified as property, to be owned, bought and sold accordingly, and they cannot withdraw unilaterally from the arrangement. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Slavery is any system in which principles of property law are applied to people, allowing individuals to own, buy and sell other individuals, as a de jure form of property. A slave is unable to withdraw unilaterally from such an arrangement and works without remuneration. Many scholars now use the term chattel slavery to refer to this specific sense of legalised, de jure slavery. In a broader sense, however, the word slavery may also refer to any situation in which an individual is de facto forced to work against their own will. Scholars also use the more generic terms such as unfree labour or forced labour to refer to such situations. However, and especially under slavery in broader senses of the word, slaves may have some rights and protections according to laws or customs.
- Slavery Category
- 1926 Slavery Convention - The 1926 Slavery Convention or the Convention to Suppress the Slave Trade and Slavery was an international treaty created under the auspices of the League of Nations and first signed on 25 September 1926.
- Coolie - The word coolie; meaning a labourer, has a variety of other implications and is sometimes regarded as offensive or a pejorative, depending upon the historical and geographical context.
- International Day for the Abolition of Slavery - The International Day for the Abolition of Slavery is a yearly event on December 2, organized by the United Nations General Assembly. The Day was first celebrated in 1986.
- Involuntary servitude - Involuntary servitude or involuntary slavery is a United States legal and constitutional term for a person laboring against that person's will to benefit another, under some form of coercion other than the worker's financial needs.
- Jewish views on slavery - Jewish views on slavery are varied both religiously and historically. Judaism's ancient and medieval religious texts contain numerous laws governing the ownership and treatment of slaves.
- The Bible and slavery
- Social classes
- This TransFair USA | Home www
This organization is a member of Fairtrade Labelling Organizations International and the only third-party certifier of Fair Trade Products in the United States. | Home. TransFair USA | Home.
- Promotes Anti-Slavery International www
Promotes the eradication of slavery and slavery-like practices, International, and freedom for everyone who is subjected to them. Anti-Slavery International.
- This Polaris Project | Combating Human Trafficking and Modern-day Slavery www
This organization works on all forms of human trafficking and serves victims of slavery and human trafficking. | Combating Human Trafficking and Modern-day Slavery. Polaris Project | Combating Human Trafficking and Modern-day Slavery.
- International International Justice Mission - IJM Home www
International Justice Mission - International Justice Mission is a human rights organization that rescues victims of violence, Justice Mission - IJM Home, sexual exploitation, slavery and oppression. IJM documents and monitors conditions of abuse and oppression, educates the church and public about the abuses and mobilizes intervention on behalf of victims. The mission of International Justice Mission is to protect people from violent forces of injustice by securing rescue and restoration for victims and ensuring public justice syste International Justice Mission - IJM Home.
- Global Stop the Traffik www
Global coalition working together to help stop the sale of people, the Traffik, to see the traffickers prosecuted and to protect the victims of human trafficking and those vulnerable to this crime. Special focus on children as activists. Stop the Traffik.
- The Free the Slaves - Abolish Modern Slavery www
The Center of the Modern American Abolitionist Movement inspired by Kevin Bales' book, the Slaves - Abolish Modern Slavery, Disposable People, works to abolish slavery worldwide. Free the Slaves - Abolish Modern Slavery.
- Monitors, American Anti-Slavery Group www
Monitors, Anti-Slavery Group, documents, publicizes modern-day slavery and works with former victims of human trafficking to abolish this practice, focusing primarily on systems of chattel slavery in Sudan and Mauritania. American Anti-Slavery Group.
- This National Underground Railroad Freedom Center* www
This organization has a museum devoted to "the Underground Railroad" and programs that educate the public about modern slavery and human trafficking. Underground Railroad Freedom Center*. National Underground Railroad Freedom Center*.
- From The Fairtrade Foundation | Fairtrade www
From the website of the Fairtrade Foundation, | Fairtrade, home of the FAIRTRADE Mark, the only independent guarantee of a better deal for Third World producers The Fairtrade Foundation | Fairtrade.
- Information Trafficking in Human Beings www
Information on various forms of trafficking in human beings. Trafficking in Human Beings.
- Offers Interpol: Trafficking in human beings www
Offers the widest possible mutual assistance between all criminal police authorities and provides a structured platform for raising awareness, Trafficking in human beings, building competence and identifying best practices within law enforcement worldwide. Interpol: Trafficking in human beings.
- Resources Global March Against Child Labour www
Resources and information relating to the campaign against child labour. Global March Against Child Labour.
- Organization William Wilberforce House Anti-Slavery Society www
Organization working for the suppression of child labor and slavery. Wilberforce House Anti-Slavery Society. Consumer guides, newsroom, kids' section, and profiles of current issues. William Wilberforce House Anti-Slavery Society.
- A Draftresistance.org www
A group attacking the policies of selective service registration in the USA. Draftresistance.org.
- There A Draft After the 2000 Elections? www
There may yet be a military draft in the future if for those turning 20 in 2001, Draft After the 2000 Elections?, once the elections are out of the way. Documents key members of Congressional military committees, for the first time in a generation, are discussing revival of the draft. A Draft After the 2000 Elections?.
- Resources Slavery, Abolition, and Emancipation www
Resources including slave narratives, Abolition, and Emancipation, biographies of abolitionists, images, poetry, links, and further readings. Slavery, Abolition, and Emancipation.
- Center Gilder Lehrman Center for the Study of Slavery, Resistance, and Abolition www
Center at Yale University dedicated to the investigation and dissemination of knowledge concerning all aspects of chattel slavery and its destruction. Gilder Lehrman Center for the Study of Slavery, Resistance, and Abolition.
- This The African American Reparation Action Network www
This page points out that there are many precedents for reparations to slavery, African American Reparation Action Network, in that many other oppressed ethnic groups have been given compensation for crimes against humanity. The African American Reparation Action Network.
- Petition Western Massachusetts Reparations Support Committee www
Petition for white Americans to support African-American demands for reparations for slavery which formerly took place in the USA. Western Massachusetts Reparations Support Committee.
- "I Slavery in Sudan www
"I was continuously beaten because whenever I would stop to feed my baby with my breast milk, Sudan, somebody would get angry and say I wasn't working." Gathered quotes and pictures provide an in-depth look at slavery today. Slavery in Sudan.
- Human National Labor Committee www
Human rights advocacy group that focuses on the promotion and defense of worker rights. Labor Committee. Educates and involves the public in actions aimed at ending labor abuses, improving living conditions for workers and their families and promoting the concept of a living wage. National Labor Committee.
- International 6 Hour Day www
International movement for the six hour work day, Hour Day, three day weekend and six weeks paid vacation -- with no reduction in pay. 6 Hour Day.
- Alexa: Slavery Labor
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Slavery Labor
- DMOZ: Slavery Labor
dmoz.org Directory: Slavery Labor