Pages or organizations which debate whether or not some or all "intellectual property" laws are unfair monopoly grants, not real private property like physical things. Intellectual Property Issues Society.
Intellectual property ( IP ) refers to creations of the intellect for which a monopoly is assigned to designated owners by law. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Intellectual property is a category of property that includes intangible creations of the human intellect, and primarily encompasses copyrights, patents, and trademarks. It also includes other types of rights, such as trade secrets, publicity rights, moral rights, and rights against unfair competition. Artistic works like music and literature, as well as some discoveries, inventions, words, phrases, symbols, and designs can all be protected as intellectual property. Intellectual property law has evolved over centuries. It was not until the 19th century that the term "intellectual property" began to be used, and not until the late 20th century that it became commonplace in the majority of the world.
- Information policy - Information policy is the set of all public laws, regulations and policies that encourage, discourage, or regulate the creation, use, storage, access, and communication and dissemination of information.
- Industrial property - Industrial property takes a range of forms, these include patents for inventions, industrial designs, trademarks, service marks, layout-designs of integrated circuits, commercial names and designations, geographical indications and protection against unfair competition.
- Freedom of information - Freedom of information is an extension of freedom of speech, a fundamental human right recognized in international law, which is today understood more generally as freedom of expression in any medium, be it orally, in writing, print, through the Internet or through art forms.
- Libertarianism and intellectual property
- Economics of the arts and literature
- Social information processing
- Intellectual property law
- Article Wired - The Eagle Is Grounded www
Article comparing today's toughening of US intellectual property laws to help given to the US shipping industry 30 years ago, The Eagle Is Grounded, resulting in even greater losses for US firms, higher prices, and frustrated consumers. Wired - The Eagle Is Grounded.
- Examining, IP-Wars.net www
Examining, IP-Wars.net, chronicling, and battling the censorship attempts of intellectual property laws. Contains user contributed articles and news feeds. IP-Wars.net.
- Professor The Public Domain: Enclosing the Commons of the Mind www
Professor James Boyle's site discussing the balance between intellectual property and the public domain -- including free downloadable versions of his Yale University Press book on the subject. The Public Domain: Enclosing the Commons of the Mind.
- Article Intellectual Property Compensation Via Tipping www
Article that proposes (with case studies) that tipping may be a viable compensation model for intellectual property (such as music and books). Intellectual Property Compensation Via Tipping.
- An The Mark is the Beast www
An article describing the change in the usage of trademarks, Mark is the Beast, and how it stifles our use of our own language. The Mark is the Beast.
- Weblog IPKat www
Weblog covering copyright, IPKat, patent, trade mark and privacy/confidentiality issues from a mainly UK and European perspective. IPKat.
- This A Primer On the Ethics of "Intellectual Property" www
This primer provides a general framework for freeing any information covered under copyright and patent laws. A Primer On the Ethics of "Intellectual Property".
- A Excess Copyright www
A blog about excess in Canadian and international copyright law, Copyright, trademarks law and patent law. By Howard Knopf, a jurist practicing Intellectual Property law in Canada. Excess Copyright.
- An Roundtable - 98.09 www
An Atlantic Unbound roundtable on the future of intellectual property and copyright law in the digital age Roundtable - 98.09.
- The Intellectual Property Rights Overview www
The W3C's take on intellectual property rights in the Information Age. Intellectual Property Rights Overview.
- This IP Future www
This group is organized to promote discussion of intellectual property laws worldwide. Future. It is hoped that a network of interested people can come together to begin discussing a future for intellectual property law which balances the needs of people with the needs of intellectual property owners. IP Future.
- According The Guardian - "Intellectual Property" is a Silly Euphemism www
According to the author, Guardian - "Intellectual Property" is a Silly Euphemism, owning a song or a piece of writing isn't like owning a television, and to call it anyone's "property" is seriously misleading. The Guardian - "Intellectual Property" is a Silly Euphemism.
- A Giftfile Project www
A project to enable authors of computer files containing nonproprietary intellectual works (free music, Project, literature, software) and their supporters (including fans, users) to participate in a gift economy. Giftfile Project.
- Guide Copyright: Guardian of Intellectual Property www
Guide to computer ethics issues and current news includes an introduction to the problematic copyright issues raised by digital media. Copyright: Guardian of Intellectual Property.
- Supports Did You Say "Intellectual Property"? It's a Seductive Mirage www
Supports the idea that the term carries a bias since it suggests thinking about copyright, You Say "Intellectual Property"? It's a Seductive Mirage, patents and trademarks by analogy with property rights for physical objects and also that it's a catch-all to lump together disparate laws. By Richard Stallman. Did You Say "Intellectual Property"? It's a Seductive Mirage.
- The The GNU Manifesto www
The last name in software freedom. GNU Manifesto...this outlines the reasons that "Gnu's Not Unix" produces free software. The GNU Manifesto.
- Richard The Right to Read www
Richard Stallman's famous parable about the Right to Read, Right to Read, and what will happen if intellectual monopoly laws continue to grow. The Right to Read.
- A Free Intellectual Property Exchange (FreeIPX) www
A news and discussion site dedicated to critical analysis of the use, Intellectual Property Exchange (FreeIPX), abuse, and relevance of IP Law. [Slash-style site] Free Intellectual Property Exchange (FreeIPX).
- Article The Register - Sneaky Cable Crypto Scheme in the Works www
Article exposing that the cable television industry is moving to implement a copy protection scheme that will allow movie studios and cable providers to control what viewers are able to record. The Register - Sneaky Cable Crypto Scheme in the Works.
- Complaining Copyright Law and Independent Creation Theory www
Complaining that the law of independent creation allows the theft of music. Copyright Law and Independent Creation Theory.
- Provides Stanford Center for Internet and Society's Fair Use Project (FUP) www
Provides legal support to a range of projects designed to clarify, Center for Internet and Society's Fair Use Project (FUP), and extend, the boundaries of "fair use" in order to enhance creative freedom. Stanford Center for Internet and Society's Fair Use Project (FUP).
- A Information Liberation: Against Intellectual Property www
A chapter from the book Information Liberation, Liberation: Against Intellectual Property, written by Brian Martin. Information Liberation: Against Intellectual Property.
- A Library Juice Copyright Issue www
A supplement to the weekly e-zine Library Juice from September, Juice Copyright Issue, 2000, devoted to the political and philosophical issues of intellectual property, especially as they relate to libraries and the internet. Library Juice Copyright Issue.
- News Electronic Privacy Information Center www
News and updates on laws on electronic privacy. Electronic Privacy Information Center.
- This Making Way for Intelligence in Case Space www
This paper describes an early effort to build a distributed system for computer-mediated litigation, Way for Intelligence in Case Space, and explores some of the issues involved in the intelligent use of such a system. Making Way for Intelligence in Case Space.
- Speech The Campaign to Have Copyright Interests Trump Technology and Consumer Rights www
Speech by Gary Shapiro, Campaign to Have Copyright Interests Trump Technology and Consumer Rights, President of the Consumer Electronics Association, to the Optical Storage Symposium. The Campaign to Have Copyright Interests Trump Technology and Consumer Rights.
- With The Revolt of the Poor - The Demise of Intellectual Property? www
With the advent of new media, Revolt of the Poor - The Demise of Intellectual Property?, e-publishing, self-publishing, and differential patent enforcement and pricing - intellectual property rights may be in trouble. The Revolt of the Poor - The Demise of Intellectual Property?.
- Information Howstuffworks: How Digital Rights Management Works www
Information about the theory behind the technology. Howstuffworks: How Digital Rights Management Works.
- Conference Digital Rights Management Conference www
Conference held in Berkeley, Rights Management Conference, California. Contains a schedule, list of speakers, and sponsors. Digital Rights Management Conference.
- A Create Change www
A resource for faculty and librarian action to reclaim scholarly communication. Change. Main issues concern subscription prices for scholarly journals and help for journals willing to find publishing options better suited to their academic missions. Create Change.
- Introducing First Monday - The Streetperformer Protocol & Digital Copyrights www
Introducing the Street Performer Protocol, Monday - The Streetperformer Protocol & Digital Copyrights, an electronic-commerce mechanism to facilitate the private financing of public works. Using this protocol, people would place donations in escrow, to be released to an author in the event that the promised work be put in the public domain. First Monday - The Streetperformer Protocol & Digital Copyrights.
- Twenty-six Off The Hook June 2000 www
Twenty-six Hundred dot com pages on challenges to their free speech on hacking computers. Off The Hook June 2000.
- A Rice University Spin Control www
A long Houston Press story about the administrative coup d'état that closed down 91. University Spin Control.7 FM, KTRU Houston, a college radio station. Rice University Spin Control.
- An Traditional Ecological Knowledge and Prior Art Database (TEK*PAD) www
An online, Ecological Knowledge and Prior Art Database (TEK*PAD), searchable archive of public domain documented uses of traditional ecological knowledge concerning indigenous knowledge and plant species, necessary to establish prior art. Includes taxonomic data, ethnobotanical uses, scientific/medical papers, and patent applications. Traditional Ecological Knowledge and Prior Art Database (TEK*PAD).
- World WIPO: Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources, Traditional Knowledge, and Folklore www
World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) pages on Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources with links to Traditional Knowledge, Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources, Traditional Knowledge, and Folklore, and Folklore. Includes coverage of the intergovernmental committee covering all three issues. WIPO: Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources, Traditional Knowledge, and Folklore.
- A MillionSoulsAware.org www
A not-for-profit project aiming to raise awareness of issues of concern. MillionSoulsAware.org. Once a million persons have read the current featured article, the site will cover another topic. MillionSoulsAware.org.
- Nonprofit, IGC - Institute for Global Communications www
Nonprofit, Institute for Global Communications, provides alternative sources of information, and comprehensive Internet services for progressive individuals and organizations. IGC - Institute for Global Communications.
- Alexa: Intellectual Property Issues
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Intellectual Property Issues
- DMOZ: Intellectual Property Issues
dmoz.org Directory: Intellectual Property Issues