Pages or organizations which debate whether or not some or all "intellectual property" laws are unfair monopoly grants, not real private property like physical things. Intellectual Property Issues Society.
Intellectual property ( IP ) refers to creations of the intellect for which a monopoly is assigned to designated owners by law. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Intellectual property is a category of property that includes intangible creations of the human intellect, and primarily encompasses copyrights, patents, and trademarks. It also includes other types of rights, such as trade secrets, publicity rights, moral rights, and rights against unfair competition. Artistic works like music and literature, as well as some discoveries, inventions, words, phrases, symbols, and designs can all be protected as intellectual property. Intellectual property law has evolved over centuries. It was not until the 19th century that the term "intellectual property" began to be used, and not until the late 20th century that it became commonplace in the majority of the world.
- Information policy - Information policy is the set of all public laws, regulations and policies that encourage, discourage, or regulate the creation, use, storage, access, and communication and dissemination of information.
- Industrial property - Industrial property takes a range of forms, these include patents for inventions, industrial designs, trademarks, service marks, layout-designs of integrated circuits, commercial names and designations, geographical indications and protection against unfair competition.
- Freedom of information - Freedom of information is an extension of freedom of speech, a fundamental human right recognized in international law, which is today understood more generally as freedom of expression in any medium, be it orally, in writing, print, through the Internet or through art forms.
- Libertarianism and intellectual property
- Economics of the arts and literature
- Social information processing
- Intellectual property law
- Examining, IP-Wars.net www
Examining, IP-Wars.net, chronicling, and battling the censorship attempts of intellectual property laws. Contains user contributed articles and news feeds. IP-Wars.net.
- An Roundtable - 98.09 www
An Atlantic Unbound roundtable on the future of intellectual property and copyright law in the digital age Roundtable - 98.09.
- According The Guardian - "Intellectual Property" is a Silly Euphemism www
According to the author, Guardian - "Intellectual Property" is a Silly Euphemism, owning a song or a piece of writing isn't like owning a television, and to call it anyone's "property" is seriously misleading. The Guardian - "Intellectual Property" is a Silly Euphemism.
- Article Wired - The Eagle Is Grounded www
Article comparing today's toughening of US intellectual property laws to help given to the US shipping industry 30 years ago, The Eagle Is Grounded, resulting in even greater losses for US firms, higher prices, and frustrated consumers. Wired - The Eagle Is Grounded.
- Article The Register - Sneaky Cable Crypto Scheme in the Works www
Article exposing that the cable television industry is moving to implement a copy protection scheme that will allow movie studios and cable providers to control what viewers are able to record. The Register - Sneaky Cable Crypto Scheme in the Works.
- Richard The Right to Read www
Richard Stallman's famous parable about the Right to Read, Right to Read, and what will happen if intellectual monopoly laws continue to grow. The Right to Read.
- Weblog IPKat www
Weblog covering copyright, IPKat, patent, trade mark and privacy/confidentiality issues from a mainly UK and European perspective. IPKat.
- Provides Stanford Center for Internet and Society's Fair Use Project (FUP) www
Provides legal support to a range of projects designed to clarify, Center for Internet and Society's Fair Use Project (FUP), and extend, the boundaries of "fair use" in order to enhance creative freedom. Stanford Center for Internet and Society's Fair Use Project (FUP).
- Professor The Public Domain: Enclosing the Commons of the Mind www
Professor James Boyle's site discussing the balance between intellectual property and the public domain -- including free downloadable versions of his Yale University Press book on the subject. The Public Domain: Enclosing the Commons of the Mind.
- This A Primer On the Ethics of "Intellectual Property" www
This primer provides a general framework for freeing any information covered under copyright and patent laws. A Primer On the Ethics of "Intellectual Property".
- A Giftfile Project www
A project to enable authors of computer files containing nonproprietary intellectual works (free music, Project, literature, software) and their supporters (including fans, users) to participate in a gift economy. Giftfile Project.
- A Information Liberation: Against Intellectual Property www
A chapter from the book Information Liberation, Liberation: Against Intellectual Property, written by Brian Martin. Information Liberation: Against Intellectual Property.
- This IP Future www
This group is organized to promote discussion of intellectual property laws worldwide. Future. It is hoped that a network of interested people can come together to begin discussing a future for intellectual property law which balances the needs of people with the needs of intellectual property owners. IP Future.
- Supports Did You Say "Intellectual Property"? It's a Seductive Mirage www
Supports the idea that the term carries a bias since it suggests thinking about copyright, You Say "Intellectual Property"? It's a Seductive Mirage, patents and trademarks by analogy with property rights for physical objects and also that it's a catch-all to lump together disparate laws. By Richard Stallman. Did You Say "Intellectual Property"? It's a Seductive Mirage.
- The Intellectual Property Rights Overview www
The W3C's take on intellectual property rights in the Information Age. Intellectual Property Rights Overview.
- A Library Juice Copyright Issue www
A supplement to the weekly e-zine Library Juice from September, Juice Copyright Issue, 2000, devoted to the political and philosophical issues of intellectual property, especially as they relate to libraries and the internet. Library Juice Copyright Issue.
- A Excess Copyright www
A blog about excess in Canadian and international copyright law, Copyright, trademarks law and patent law. By Howard Knopf, a jurist practicing Intellectual Property law in Canada. Excess Copyright.
- Complaining Copyright Law and Independent Creation Theory www
Complaining that the law of independent creation allows the theft of music. Copyright Law and Independent Creation Theory.
- A Free Intellectual Property Exchange (FreeIPX) www
A news and discussion site dedicated to critical analysis of the use, Intellectual Property Exchange (FreeIPX), abuse, and relevance of IP Law. [Slash-style site] Free Intellectual Property Exchange (FreeIPX).
- An The Mark is the Beast www
An article describing the change in the usage of trademarks, Mark is the Beast, and how it stifles our use of our own language. The Mark is the Beast.
- The The GNU Manifesto www
The last name in software freedom. GNU Manifesto...this outlines the reasons that "Gnu's Not Unix" produces free software. The GNU Manifesto.
- Guide Copyright: Guardian of Intellectual Property www
Guide to computer ethics issues and current news includes an introduction to the problematic copyright issues raised by digital media. Copyright: Guardian of Intellectual Property.
- Article Intellectual Property Compensation Via Tipping www
Article that proposes (with case studies) that tipping may be a viable compensation model for intellectual property (such as music and books). Intellectual Property Compensation Via Tipping.
- History dataprotection.eu www
History and theory of European data protection law. dataprotection.eu.
- This Making Way for Intelligence in Case Space www
This paper describes an early effort to build a distributed system for computer-mediated litigation, Way for Intelligence in Case Space, and explores some of the issues involved in the intelligent use of such a system. Making Way for Intelligence in Case Space.
- How Anarchism Triumphant: Free Software and the Death of Copyright www
How the Internet and free software render copyrights useless, Triumphant: Free Software and the Death of Copyright, dooming them much as capitalism doomed slavery. Anarchism Triumphant: Free Software and the Death of Copyright.
- Organization DigitalConsumer.org www
Organization for protecting fair-use rights in the digital world. DigitalConsumer.org. Advocates a Consumer Technology Bill of Rights including the rights to time-shift and space-shift media and to make backup copies. DigitalConsumer.org.
- Compilation D-Lib Magazine www
Compilation of design and architecture by Renato Iannella. Magazine. Also provides examples and practical uses. D-Lib Magazine.
- Article How FairPlay Works: Apple's iTunes DRM Dilemma www
Article on Roughly Drafted covering details about how the format works and its limitations. How FairPlay Works: Apple's iTunes DRM Dilemma.
- A Public Library of Science www
A non-profit organization of scientists committed to making the world's scientific and medical literature freely accessible to scientists and to the public around the world. Library of Science. Promotion of free access online journals and eprints archives. Public Library of Science.
- Forum American Scientist Forum on Open Access www
Forum devoted to the freeing of online access to the peer-reviewed research literature. Scientist Forum on Open Access. Continuous since 1998. American Scientist Forum on Open Access.
- Documents, Free Speech Movement Archives www
Documents, Speech Movement Archives, photos, and essays on the events of the 1964 movement in Berkeley. With updates and reunions. Free Speech Movement Archives.
- A Rice University Spin Control www
A long Houston Press story about the administrative coup d'état that closed down 91. University Spin Control.7 FM, KTRU Houston, a college radio station. Rice University Spin Control.
- Full People, Plants and Patents www
Full text of 1994 book on the impact of intellectual property on trade, Plants and Patents, agricultural biodiversity, and rural society by The Crucible Group, hosted by IDRC. People, Plants and Patents.
- This The True Cost of Gene Patents: The Economic and Social Consequences of Patenting Genes and Living Organisms www
This Greenpeace report is one in a series that call for a substantial restriction of, True Cost of Gene Patents: The Economic and Social Consequences of Patenting Genes and Living Organisms, or a complete end to, the patenting of genes and living organisms(2004) The True Cost of Gene Patents: The Economic and Social Consequences of Patenting Genes and Living Organisms.
- A MillionSoulsAware.org www
A not-for-profit project aiming to raise awareness of issues of concern. MillionSoulsAware.org. Once a million persons have read the current featured article, the site will cover another topic. MillionSoulsAware.org.
- Nonprofit, IGC - Institute for Global Communications www
Nonprofit, Institute for Global Communications, provides alternative sources of information, and comprehensive Internet services for progressive individuals and organizations. IGC - Institute for Global Communications.
- Alexa: Intellectual Property Issues
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Intellectual Property Issues
- DMOZ: Intellectual Property Issues
dmoz.org Directory: Intellectual Property Issues