Pages or organizations which debate whether or not some or all "intellectual property" laws are unfair monopoly grants, not real private property like physical things. Intellectual Property Issues Society.
Intellectual property ( IP ) refers to creations of the intellect for which a monopoly is assigned to designated owners by law. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Intellectual property is a category of property that includes intangible creations of the human intellect, and primarily encompasses copyrights, patents, and trademarks. It also includes other types of rights, such as trade secrets, publicity rights, moral rights, and rights against unfair competition. Artistic works like music and literature, as well as some discoveries, inventions, words, phrases, symbols, and designs, can all be protected as intellectual property. It was not until the 19th century that the term "intellectual property" began to be used, and not until the late 20th century that it became commonplace in the majority of the world.
- Information policy - Information policy is the set of all public laws, regulations and policies that encourage, discourage, or regulate the creation, use, storage, access, and communication and dissemination of information.
- Industrial property - Industrial property takes a range of forms, these include patents for inventions, industrial designs, trademarks, service marks, layout-designs of integrated circuits, commercial names and designations, geographical indications and protection against unfair competition.
- Freedom of information - Freedom of information is an extension of freedom of speech, a fundamental human right recognized in international law, which is today understood more generally as freedom of expression in any medium, be it orally, in writing, print, through the Internet or through art forms.
- Libertarianism and intellectual property
- Economics of the arts and literature
- Social information processing
- Intellectual property law
- Complaining Copyright Law and Independent Creation Theory www
Complaining that the law of independent creation allows the theft of music. Copyright Law and Independent Creation Theory.
- A Free Intellectual Property Exchange (FreeIPX) www
A news and discussion site dedicated to critical analysis of the use, Intellectual Property Exchange (FreeIPX), abuse, and relevance of IP Law. [Slash-style site] Free Intellectual Property Exchange (FreeIPX).
- Professor The Public Domain: Enclosing the Commons of the Mind www
Professor James Boyle's site discussing the balance between intellectual property and the public domain -- including free downloadable versions of his Yale University Press book on the subject. The Public Domain: Enclosing the Commons of the Mind.
- According The Guardian - "Intellectual Property" is a Silly Euphemism www
According to the author, Guardian - "Intellectual Property" is a Silly Euphemism, owning a song or a piece of writing isn't like owning a television, and to call it anyone's "property" is seriously misleading. The Guardian - "Intellectual Property" is a Silly Euphemism.
- A Library Juice Copyright Issue www
A supplement to the weekly e-zine Library Juice from September, Juice Copyright Issue, 2000, devoted to the political and philosophical issues of intellectual property, especially as they relate to libraries and the internet. Library Juice Copyright Issue.
- An Roundtable - 98.09 www
An Atlantic Unbound roundtable on the future of intellectual property and copyright law in the digital age Roundtable - 98.09.
- Article The Register - Sneaky Cable Crypto Scheme in the Works www
Article exposing that the cable television industry is moving to implement a copy protection scheme that will allow movie studios and cable providers to control what viewers are able to record. The Register - Sneaky Cable Crypto Scheme in the Works.
- Examining, IP-Wars.net www
Examining, IP-Wars.net, chronicling, and battling the censorship attempts of intellectual property laws. Contains user contributed articles and news feeds. IP-Wars.net.
- Guide Copyright: Guardian of Intellectual Property www
Guide to computer ethics issues and current news includes an introduction to the problematic copyright issues raised by digital media. Copyright: Guardian of Intellectual Property.
- This IP Future www
This group is organized to promote discussion of intellectual property laws worldwide. Future. It is hoped that a network of interested people can come together to begin discussing a future for intellectual property law which balances the needs of people with the needs of intellectual property owners. IP Future.
- An The Mark is the Beast www
An article describing the change in the usage of trademarks, Mark is the Beast, and how it stifles our use of our own language. The Mark is the Beast.
- This A Primer On the Ethics of "Intellectual Property" www
This primer provides a general framework for freeing any information covered under copyright and patent laws. A Primer On the Ethics of "Intellectual Property".
- Article Intellectual Property Compensation Via Tipping www
Article that proposes (with case studies) that tipping may be a viable compensation model for intellectual property (such as music and books). Intellectual Property Compensation Via Tipping.
- Weblog IPKat www
Weblog covering copyright, IPKat, patent, trade mark and privacy/confidentiality issues from a mainly UK and European perspective. IPKat.
- A Information Liberation: Against Intellectual Property www
A chapter from the book Information Liberation, Liberation: Against Intellectual Property, written by Brian Martin. Information Liberation: Against Intellectual Property.
- The Intellectual Property Rights Overview www
The W3C's take on intellectual property rights in the Information Age. Intellectual Property Rights Overview.
- A Excess Copyright www
A blog about excess in Canadian and international copyright law, Copyright, trademarks law and patent law. By Howard Knopf, a jurist practicing Intellectual Property law in Canada. Excess Copyright.
- Article Wired - The Eagle Is Grounded www
Article comparing today's toughening of US intellectual property laws to help given to the US shipping industry 30 years ago, The Eagle Is Grounded, resulting in even greater losses for US firms, higher prices, and frustrated consumers. Wired - The Eagle Is Grounded.
- Provides Stanford Center for Internet and Society's Fair Use Project (FUP) www
Provides legal support to a range of projects designed to clarify, Center for Internet and Society's Fair Use Project (FUP), and extend, the boundaries of "fair use" in order to enhance creative freedom. Stanford Center for Internet and Society's Fair Use Project (FUP).
- The The GNU Manifesto www
The last name in software freedom. GNU Manifesto...this outlines the reasons that "Gnu's Not Unix" produces free software. The GNU Manifesto.
- Supports Did You Say "Intellectual Property"? It's a Seductive Mirage www
Supports the idea that the term carries a bias since it suggests thinking about copyright, You Say "Intellectual Property"? It's a Seductive Mirage, patents and trademarks by analogy with property rights for physical objects and also that it's a catch-all to lump together disparate laws. By Richard Stallman. Did You Say "Intellectual Property"? It's a Seductive Mirage.
- Richard The Right to Read www
Richard Stallman's famous parable about the Right to Read, Right to Read, and what will happen if intellectual monopoly laws continue to grow. The Right to Read.
- A Giftfile Project www
A project to enable authors of computer files containing nonproprietary intellectual works (free music, Project, literature, software) and their supporters (including fans, users) to participate in a gift economy. Giftfile Project.
- Studying Stanford Center for Internet and Society www
Studying the interaction of new technologies and the law. Stanford Center for Internet and Society.
- History dataprotection.eu www
History and theory of European data protection law. dataprotection.eu.
- Thirty Michael Geist: 30 Days of DRM www
Thirty daily postings highlights some of the exceptions and limitations that the government should include if a Canadian DMCA is introduced. Geist: 30 Days of DRM. Includes a wiki for user comments and contributions. Michael Geist: 30 Days of DRM.
- What Primer on the Digital Millennium www
What the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and the Copyright Term Extension Act mean for the library community, the Digital Millennium, by Arnold P. Lutzker. Primer on the Digital Millennium.
- Conference Digital Rights Management Conference www
Conference held in Berkeley, Rights Management Conference, California. Contains a schedule, list of speakers, and sponsors. Digital Rights Management Conference.
- Information Howstuffworks: How Digital Rights Management Works www
Information about the theory behind the technology. Howstuffworks: How Digital Rights Management Works.
- Considerations Creating a global knowledge network www
Considerations on how to build a knowledge network for research communication and on its potential impact, global knowledge network, by P. Ginsparg, one of the founders of ArXiv. Creating a global knowledge network.
- A Measure Calls for Wider Access to Federally Financed Research www
A group challenging the power of established scientific journals says legislation will be introduced to make the results of all federally financed research available to the public. Measure Calls for Wider Access to Federally Financed Research.
- Small Low Power to the People www
Small groups, Power to the People, nonprofits and individuals might get low power FM radio stations. Low Power to the People.
- Michael Atheism and Intraorganizational Free Speech (1996) www
Michael Martin argues that atheistic organizations should generally allow their members to criticize them. and Intraorganizational Free Speech (1996). Atheism and Intraorganizational Free Speech (1996).
- Authoritative Intellectual Property and Community Rights in African Agriculture: Implications for Small Farmers www
Authoritative introduction to these issues by Genetic Resources Action International (GRAIN) concerning African countries that are being forced to choose between two conflicting paths for agricultural research and development: one rooted in the knowledge and practices of its farmers and agricultural biodiversity or one dependent on the products of Northern corporations. Intellectual Property and Community Rights in African Agriculture: Implications for Small Farmers.
- WTO's WorldTrade Organisation - TRIPs / Patents pages www
WorldTrade Organisation - TRIPs / Patents pages.
- Nonprofit, IGC - Institute for Global Communications www
Nonprofit, Institute for Global Communications, provides alternative sources of information, and comprehensive Internet services for progressive individuals and organizations. IGC - Institute for Global Communications.
- A MillionSoulsAware.org www
A not-for-profit project aiming to raise awareness of issues of concern. MillionSoulsAware.org. Once a million persons have read the current featured article, the site will cover another topic. MillionSoulsAware.org.
- Alexa: Intellectual Property Issues
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Intellectual Property Issues
- DMOZ: Intellectual Property Issues
dmoz.org Directory: Intellectual Property Issues