Housing issues covers a spectrum of social and political issues that make it more difficult for people in different circumstances to acquire a home or rent an apartment. The causes of these problems can be quite varied, ranging from the property owner's or landlord's personal bias to the lack of affordable housing within a neighborhood to a lack of income opportunities. Emotional and drug issues can also impact a person's ability to obtain a job that would enable them to pay the rent. Or, a financial crisis may come up and a low-income family could have difficulties in obtaining a financial loan to cover immediate living expenses. The housing issues section contains sites that explain the problems, offers some solutions or lists organizations offering assistance to landlords and dwelling seekers about the laws pertaining to this issue. Housing Issues Society.
Housing generally refers to the social problem of ensuring that members of society have a home in which to live, whether this is a house, or some other kind of dwelling, lodging, or shelter. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Housing refers to houses or buildings collectively; accommodation of people; planning or provision of accommodation by an authority; and related meanings. The social issue is of ensuring that members of society have a home in which to live, whether this is a house, or some other kind of dwelling, lodging, or shelter. Many governments have one or more housing authorities, sometimes also called a housing ministry, or housing department.
- Housing Category
- Affordable housing - Affordable housing is housing which is deemed affordable to those with a median household income as rated by the national government or a local government by a recognized housing affordability index.
- Housing association ; there are many articles on specific named housing associations.
- Housing estate - A housing estate is a group of homes and other buildings built together as a single development. The exact form may vary from country to country.
- Housing in the United Kingdom - Housing in the United Kingdom ranks in the top half of EU countries. However the increasing cost of housing is leading many to claim there is a "housing crisis". Most though still find the UK a desirable place to live.
- Housing in Japan - Housing in Japan includes modern and traditional styles. Two patterns of residences are predominant in contemporary Japan: the single-family detached house and the multiple-unit building, either owned by an individual or corporation and rented as apartments to tenants, or owned by occupants.
- Informal sector - The informal sector, informal economy, or grey economy is the part of an economy that is neither taxed, nor monitored by any form of government. Unlike the formal economy, activities of the informal economy are not included in the gross national product and gross domestic product of a country.
- Analyses United Nations Centre for Human Settlements - Habitat (UNCHS) www
Analyses and studies human settlement patterns, Nations Centre for Human Settlements - Habitat (UNCHS), and develops methods for controlled settlement with the preservation of the environment in mind. United Nations Centre for Human Settlements - Habitat (UNCHS).
- Searchable Housing Information Gateway www
Searchable international database on housing experts, Information Gateway, organizations, events, bibliographies, and listservs that allows users to post additional information. Page uses frames. Housing Information Gateway.
- Research Housing New Canadians Research Working Group www
Research partnership focused on housing access and discrimination in the Toronto area. New Canadians Research Working Group. Research projects examine the housing search process used by immigrants and refugees, the quality and cost of the housing they obtain, the degree to which their housing needs are met, and the nature and extent of any housing-related discrimination. Housing New Canadians Research Working Group.
- Wes Building More, Wanting Less www
Wes Janz, More, Wanting Less, Professor of Architecture at Ball State University, photographs and comments on living conditions in working class neighborhoods of cities across the world. Contributions by others and further submissions requested. Building More, Wanting Less.
- Group Center on Budget and Policy Priorities - Housing www
Group works to make sure that US federal housing subsidies are directed to the most needy citizens. Budget and Policy Priorities - Housing. Page includes list of research areas, current state issues and events. Center on Budget and Policy Priorities - Housing.
- Describes LandlordPolitics.com: Archives of Minneapolis Property Rights Action Committee www
Describes activities and history of MPRAC, Archives of Minneapolis Property Rights Action Committee, a group of inner-city landlords, offering its view of tenant-landlord issues and the treatment of landlords by the local government and news media. LandlordPolitics.com: Archives of Minneapolis Property Rights Action Committee.
- A Chartered Institute of Housing www
A professional body for people working in housing in the United Kingdom. Institute of Housing. Promotes the provision and management of good quality, affordable housing. Chartered Institute of Housing.
- Resource Community Housing NSW www
Resource for community housing providers and tenants in New South Wales. Community Housing NSW.
- Information Squat!net www
Information on all squatted buildings and areas around the world. Squat!net. An international forum on squatted houses, squatting and carsides. Squat!net.
- Funded National Home of Your Own Alliance www
Funded by the Administration on Developmental Disabilities to promote opportunities for people with disabilities to own and control their homes. National Home of Your Own Alliance.
- In NPR: Housing First www
In this yearlong special reporting project Housing First, Housing First, NPR News explores the housing dilemmas of Americans with special needs -- and how lack of housing can stymy their efforts to join mainstream society. NPR: Housing First.
- Information Housing and Housing Policy www
Information from the UK Department for Communities and Local Government, and Housing Policy, concerning policy on housing issues. Housing and Housing Policy.
- The Narpac: Public Housing Issues in Washington, DC www
The National Association to Restore Pride in America's Capital explains the problems of public in Washington, Public Housing Issues in Washington, DC, D.C., USA and new ways that have been used to improve this system. Narpac: Public Housing Issues in Washington, DC.
- Independent Joseph Rowntree Foundation www
Independent development and social research charity, Rowntree Foundation, supporting a wide programme of research and development projects in housing, social care and social policy. Joseph Rowntree Foundation.
- News, Australasian Housing Information Network www
News, Housing Information Network, reports, conferences and employment opportunities from leading Australian housing policy and research centres. Australasian Housing Information Network.
- E-magazine Inside Housing www
E-magazine concerned with social housing issues in the UK. Housing. Page includes news, feature articles and career job listings. Inside Housing.
- United Housing Studies Association www
United Kingdom forum for housing related research and debate. Studies Association. Details of conference and events as well as recent publications from HSA. Housing Studies Association.
- News, Almanac of Policy Issues: Housing www
News, Policy Issues: Housing, background information, and links on U.S. housing issues, including public housing, Section 8 vouchers, and rent control. Almanac of Policy Issues: Housing.
- UK Housingnet www
UK housing information resource, Housingnet, containing a social housing database, information and topical debate. Also includes an online maintenance manual. Housingnet.
- Article The Price Is Wrong www
Article by Errol T. Price Is Wrong. Louis in City Limits magazine [New York] examining the way appraisal "redlining" skews estimated community property values downward. The Price Is Wrong.
- A Housing: A Basic Human Right www
A presentation by Ken Kimmelman, Basic Human Right, Barbara Buehler Anthony Romeo, and Dale Laurin, arguing that Aesthetic Realism explains America's housing crisis, the cause, and the solution. Speakers, petition. Housing: A Basic Human Right.
- A Council for Affordable and Rural Housing www
A national advocacy and educational association for individuals and businesses involved in the financing, for Affordable and Rural Housing, development and management of affordable rural housing. Council for Affordable and Rural Housing.
- A Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute (AHURI) www
A consortium of research centres funded by Australian State and Commonwealth Governments, Housing and Urban Research Institute (AHURI), as well as by member universities. Housing research publications. Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute (AHURI).
- A Urban Institute: Housing www
A nonprofit, Institute: Housing, nonpartisan policy research and educational organization established to examine the social, economic, and governance problems facing the US. Urban Institute: Housing.
- Professional Australasian Housing Institute www
Professional body for individual practitioners in the broad social housing sector in Australasia - linking social housing workers in Australia and New Zealand. Housing Institute. Details of membership benefits, events and publications. Australasian Housing Institute.
- Helps Housing Assistance Council www
Helps local organizations in rural America build affordable homes. Assistance Council. Includes information about loans, technical assistance, training, links, publications and relevant articles. Housing Assistance Council.
- The Joint Center for Housing Studies www
The Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University analyzes the ways in which housing policy and practices are shaped by economic and demographic trends. Joint Center for Housing Studies.
- Providing Self-Help Enterprises www
Providing technical services and support, Enterprises, helping families and communities compete for financial resources and empowering people to be leaders. Includes current programs, how to join, FAQ and related links. Self-Help Enterprises.
- News Knowledgeplex www
News feeds, Knowledgeplex, discussion forums, listserve, publications and searchable index of publications related to low income housing. Site is sponsored by the Fannie Mae Foundation. Knowledgeplex.
- Links US Department of Housing and Urban Development www
Links to housing news; information about home owning, Department of Housing and Urban Development, buying, renting and financing; community data; pages about how to work with HUD; a resource library; handbooks. US Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- California Housing Rights, Inc. www
California organization combatting housing discrimination in Oakland, Rights, Inc., Berkeley, Albany, Emeryville, and Piedmont. Housing Rights, Inc..
- Protects The Toledo Fair Housing Center www
Protects Toledo residents who experience discrimination. Toledo Fair Housing Center. All of The Toledo Fair Housing Center's counseling and investigative services are free. The Toledo Fair Housing Center.
- Research, National Center on Family Homelessness www
Research, Center on Family Homelessness, Fact Sheets and links regarding family homelessness. National Center on Family Homelessness.
- Links Health & Human Services: Homeless www
Links to studies, & Human Services: Homeless, publications, US Department of Health and Human Services resources and other web sites. Health & Human Services: Homeless.
- Links Family Village--Independent Living Resources www
Links to papers on Independent Living philosophy and lists of Independent Living Centers. Family Village--Independent Living Resources.
- A IMPACT Center for Independent Living www
A site to preserve and promote the rich history and philosophy of the independent living movement. IMPACT Center for Independent Living.
- The Fighting Poverty, One Business at a Time. www
The Trickle Up Program is an international non-profit organization dedicated to reducing poverty by providing low-income people around the world with the opportunity to create their own micro-enterprises. Fighting Poverty, One Business at a Time..
- An Synergos www
An independent, Synergos, nonprofit institute dedicated to developing effective, sustainable, and locally based solutions to global poverty, especially in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Synergos.
- A Ontario Tenants Rights www
A web guide to Ontario's Landlord and Tenant Act, Tenants Rights, tenants' legal rights, social justice, affordable rental housing issues and finding apartments for rent. Ontario Tenants Rights.
- Advocacy, Vermont Tenants, Inc. www
Advocacy, Tenants, Inc., information, and referrals for Vermont tenants. Vermont Tenants, Inc..
- Library Speakout.com: Issues www
Library of online information and links related to (mostly U. Issues.S.) public policy issues. Formerly Policy.com. Speakout.com: Issues.
- Nonprofit, IGC - Institute for Global Communications www
Nonprofit, Institute for Global Communications, provides alternative sources of information, and comprehensive Internet services for progressive individuals and organizations. IGC - Institute for Global Communications.
- Alexa: Housing Issues
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Housing Issues
- DMOZ: Housing Issues
dmoz.org Directory: Housing Issues