Housing issues covers a spectrum of social and political issues that make it more difficult for people in different circumstances to acquire a home or rent an apartment. The causes of these problems can be quite varied, ranging from the property owner's or landlord's personal bias to the lack of affordable housing within a neighborhood to a lack of income opportunities. Emotional and drug issues can also impact a person's ability to obtain a job that would enable them to pay the rent. Or, a financial crisis may come up and a low-income family could have difficulties in obtaining a financial loan to cover immediate living expenses. The housing issues section contains sites that explain the problems, offers some solutions or lists organizations offering assistance to landlords and dwelling seekers about the laws pertaining to this issue. Housing Issues Society.
Housing generally refers to the social problem of ensuring that members of society have a home in which to live, whether this is a house, or some other kind of dwelling, lodging, or shelter. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Housing, or more generally living spaces, refers to the construction and assigned usage of houses or buildings collectively, for the purpose of sheltering people ?the planning or provision delivered by an authority, with related meanings. The social issue is of ensuring that members of society have a home in which to live, whether this is a house, or some other kind of dwelling, lodging, or shelter. Many governments have one or more housing authorities, sometimes also called a housing ministry, or housing department.
- Housing Category
- Affordable housing - Affordable housing is housing which is deemed affordable to those with a median household income as rated by the national government or a local government by a recognized housing affordability index.
- Housing association ; there are many articles on specific named housing associations.
- Housing estate - A housing estate is a group of homes and other buildings built together as a single development. The exact form may vary from country to country.
- Housing in the United Kingdom - Housing in the United Kingdom ranks in the top half of EU countries. However the increasing cost of housing is leading many to claim there is a "housing crisis". Most though still find the UK a desirable place to live.
- Housing in Japan - Housing in Japan includes modern and traditional styles. Two patterns of residences are predominant in contemporary Japan: the single-family detached house and the multiple-unit building, either owned by an individual or corporation and rented as apartments to tenants, or owned by occupants.
- Informal sector - The informal sector, informal economy, or grey economy is the part of an economy that is neither taxed nor monitored by any form of government. Unlike the formal economy, activities of the informal economy are not included in a country's gross national product or gross domestic product.
- News, Almanac of Policy Issues: Housing www
News, Policy Issues: Housing, background information, and links on U.S. housing issues, including public housing, Section 8 vouchers, and rent control. Almanac of Policy Issues: Housing.
- Providing Self-Help Enterprises www
Providing technical services and support, Enterprises, helping families and communities compete for financial resources and empowering people to be leaders. Includes current programs, how to join, FAQ and related links. Self-Help Enterprises.
- A Council for Affordable and Rural Housing www
A national advocacy and educational association for individuals and businesses involved in the financing, for Affordable and Rural Housing, development and management of affordable rural housing. Council for Affordable and Rural Housing.
- Professional Australasian Housing Institute www
Professional body for individual practitioners in the broad social housing sector in Australasia - linking social housing workers in Australia and New Zealand. Housing Institute. Details of membership benefits, events and publications. Australasian Housing Institute.
- UK Housingnet www
UK housing information resource, Housingnet, containing a social housing database, information and topical debate. Also includes an online maintenance manual. Housingnet.
- Analyses United Nations Centre for Human Settlements - Habitat (UNCHS) www
Analyses and studies human settlement patterns, Nations Centre for Human Settlements - Habitat (UNCHS), and develops methods for controlled settlement with the preservation of the environment in mind. United Nations Centre for Human Settlements - Habitat (UNCHS).
- Helps Housing Assistance Council www
Helps local organizations in rural America build affordable homes. Assistance Council. Includes information about loans, technical assistance, training, links, publications and relevant articles. Housing Assistance Council.
- News, Australasian Housing Information Network www
News, Housing Information Network, reports, conferences and employment opportunities from leading Australian housing policy and research centres. Australasian Housing Information Network.
- Group Center on Budget and Policy Priorities - Housing www
Group works to make sure that US federal housing subsidies are directed to the most needy citizens. Budget and Policy Priorities - Housing. Page includes list of research areas, current state issues and events. Center on Budget and Policy Priorities - Housing.
- Information Squat!net www
Information on all squatted buildings and areas around the world. Squat!net. An international forum on squatted houses, squatting and carsides. Squat!net.
- A Urban Institute: Housing www
A nonprofit, Institute: Housing, nonpartisan policy research and educational organization established to examine the social, economic, and governance problems facing the US. Urban Institute: Housing.
- A Housing: A Basic Human Right www
A presentation by Ken Kimmelman, Basic Human Right, Barbara Buehler Anthony Romeo, and Dale Laurin, arguing that Aesthetic Realism explains America's housing crisis, the cause, and the solution. Speakers, petition. Housing: A Basic Human Right.
- Searchable Housing Information Gateway www
Searchable international database on housing experts, Information Gateway, organizations, events, bibliographies, and listservs that allows users to post additional information. Page uses frames. Housing Information Gateway.
- A Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute (AHURI) www
A consortium of research centres funded by Australian State and Commonwealth Governments, Housing and Urban Research Institute (AHURI), as well as by member universities. Housing research publications. Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute (AHURI).
- Information Housing and Housing Policy www
Information from the UK Department for Communities and Local Government, and Housing Policy, concerning policy on housing issues. Housing and Housing Policy.
- A Chartered Institute of Housing www
A professional body for people working in housing in the United Kingdom. Institute of Housing. Promotes the provision and management of good quality, affordable housing. Chartered Institute of Housing.
- Resource Community Housing NSW www
Resource for community housing providers and tenants in New South Wales. Community Housing NSW.
- Funded National Home of Your Own Alliance www
Funded by the Administration on Developmental Disabilities to promote opportunities for people with disabilities to own and control their homes. National Home of Your Own Alliance.
- Article The Price Is Wrong www
Article by Errol T. Price Is Wrong. Louis in City Limits magazine [New York] examining the way appraisal "redlining" skews estimated community property values downward. The Price Is Wrong.
- In NPR: Housing First www
In this yearlong special reporting project Housing First, Housing First, NPR News explores the housing dilemmas of Americans with special needs -- and how lack of housing can stymy their efforts to join mainstream society. NPR: Housing First.
- The Narpac: Public Housing Issues in Washington, DC www
The National Association to Restore Pride in America's Capital explains the problems of public in Washington, Public Housing Issues in Washington, DC, D.C., USA and new ways that have been used to improve this system. Narpac: Public Housing Issues in Washington, DC.
- Describes LandlordPolitics.com: Archives of Minneapolis Property Rights Action Committee www
Describes activities and history of MPRAC, Archives of Minneapolis Property Rights Action Committee, a group of inner-city landlords, offering its view of tenant-landlord issues and the treatment of landlords by the local government and news media. LandlordPolitics.com: Archives of Minneapolis Property Rights Action Committee.
- E-magazine Inside Housing www
E-magazine concerned with social housing issues in the UK. Housing. Page includes news, feature articles and career job listings. Inside Housing.
- The Joint Center for Housing Studies www
The Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University analyzes the ways in which housing policy and practices are shaped by economic and demographic trends. Joint Center for Housing Studies.
- Wes Building More, Wanting Less www
Wes Janz, More, Wanting Less, Professor of Architecture at Ball State University, photographs and comments on living conditions in working class neighborhoods of cities across the world. Contributions by others and further submissions requested. Building More, Wanting Less.
- United Housing Studies Association www
United Kingdom forum for housing related research and debate. Studies Association. Details of conference and events as well as recent publications from HSA. Housing Studies Association.
- Research Housing New Canadians Research Working Group www
Research partnership focused on housing access and discrimination in the Toronto area. New Canadians Research Working Group. Research projects examine the housing search process used by immigrants and refugees, the quality and cost of the housing they obtain, the degree to which their housing needs are met, and the nature and extent of any housing-related discrimination. Housing New Canadians Research Working Group.
- Independent Joseph Rowntree Foundation www
Independent development and social research charity, Rowntree Foundation, supporting a wide programme of research and development projects in housing, social care and social policy. Joseph Rowntree Foundation.
- News Novogradac Affordable Housing Resource Center www
News and information about low-income housing tax credits. Novogradac Affordable Housing Resource Center.
- Organizational Mercy Housing www
Organizational information regarding Mercy Housing, Housing, a national not-for-profit organization developing affordable rentals, low income housing, health care, and senior services. Mercy Housing.
- California Housing Rights, Inc. www
California organization combatting housing discrimination in Oakland, Rights, Inc., Berkeley, Albany, Emeryville, and Piedmont. Housing Rights, Inc..
- Californian Housing Rights Center www
Californian housing rights centers. Rights Center. Landlord/tenant counseling, discrimination complaint investigation and outreach and education. Housing Rights Center.
- Research, US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) - Homelessness www
Research, Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) - Homelessness, fact sheets, links to government and private organizations and other resources US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) - Homelessness.
- Action National Student Campaign Against Hunger and Homelessness www
Action guide and other materials aided at students. National Student Campaign Against Hunger and Homelessness.
- Links Centers for Independent Living Web Sites www
Links to centers and resources for the United States and Canada. Centers for Independent Living Web Sites.
- A Judith Creed Homes for Adult Independence www
A non-profit organization that offers a variety of housing and support services for people with developmental dissabilities. Creed Homes for Adult Independence. Covers Philadelphia areas. Judith Creed Homes for Adult Independence.
- An Poor Magazine www
An on-line news service dedicated to providing in-depth coverage of issues affecting low and no income communities nationally and internationally. Poor Magazine.
- Faith Call to Renewal www
Faith based anti-poverty organization with policy alerts, Renewal, theological resources and other materials. Call to Renewal.
- Provides Cleveland Tenants Organization www
Provides information about the Ohio Landlord Tenant Law to Cleveland residents, Tenants Organization, and organizes Cleveland tenants. Cleveland Tenants Organization.
- The Austin Tenants' Council www
The Austin Tenants' Council is a resource for tenant-landlord information in the Austin, Tenants' Council, TX area. Austin Tenants' Council.
- Library Speakout.com: Issues www
Library of online information and links related to (mostly U. Issues.S.) public policy issues. Formerly Policy.com. Speakout.com: Issues.
- Nonprofit, IGC - Institute for Global Communications www
Nonprofit, Institute for Global Communications, provides alternative sources of information, and comprehensive Internet services for progressive individuals and organizations. IGC - Institute for Global Communications.
- Alexa: Housing Issues
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Housing Issues
- DMOZ: Housing Issues
dmoz.org Directory: Housing Issues