Housing issues covers a spectrum of social and political issues that make it more difficult for people in different circumstances to acquire a home or rent an apartment. The causes of these problems can be quite varied, ranging from the property owner's or landlord's personal bias to the lack of affordable housing within a neighborhood to a lack of income opportunities. Emotional and drug issues can also impact a person's ability to obtain a job that would enable them to pay the rent. Or, a financial crisis may come up and a low-income family could have difficulties in obtaining a financial loan to cover immediate living expenses. The housing issues section contains sites that explain the problems, offers some solutions or lists organizations offering assistance to landlords and dwelling seekers about the laws pertaining to this issue. Housing Issues Society.
Housing generally refers to the social problem of ensuring that members of society have a home in which to live, whether this is a house, or some other kind of dwelling, lodging, or shelter. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Housing refers to houses or buildings collectively; accommodation of people; planning or provision of accommodation by an authority; and related meanings. The social issue is of ensuring that members of society have a home in which to live, whether this is a house, or some other kind of dwelling, lodging, or shelter. Many governments have one or more housing authorities, sometimes also called a housing ministry, or housing department.
- Housing Category
- Affordable housing - Affordable housing is housing which is deemed affordable to those with a median household income as rated by the national government or a local government by a recognized housing affordability index.
- Housing association ; there are many articles on specific named housing associations.
- Housing estate - A housing estate is a group of homes and other buildings built together as a single development. The exact form may vary from country to country.
- Housing in the United Kingdom - Housing in the United Kingdom ranks in the top half of EU countries. However the increasing cost of housing is leading many to claim there is a "housing crisis". Most though still find the UK a desirable place to live.
- Housing in Japan - Housing in Japan includes modern and traditional styles. Two patterns of residences are predominant in contemporary Japan: the single-family detached house and the multiple-unit building, either owned by an individual or corporation and rented as apartments to tenants, or owned by occupants.
- Informal sector - The informal sector, informal economy, or grey economy is the part of an economy that is neither taxed, nor monitored by any form of government. Unlike the formal economy, activities of the informal economy are not included in the gross national product and gross domestic product of a country.
- E-magazine Inside Housing www
E-magazine concerned with social housing issues in the UK. Housing. Page includes news, feature articles and career job listings. Inside Housing.
- Providing Self-Help Enterprises www
Providing technical services and support, Enterprises, helping families and communities compete for financial resources and empowering people to be leaders. Includes current programs, how to join, FAQ and related links. Self-Help Enterprises.
- A Urban Institute: Housing www
A nonprofit, Institute: Housing, nonpartisan policy research and educational organization established to examine the social, economic, and governance problems facing the US. Urban Institute: Housing.
- Independent Joseph Rowntree Foundation www
Independent development and social research charity, Rowntree Foundation, supporting a wide programme of research and development projects in housing, social care and social policy. Joseph Rowntree Foundation.
- Describes LandlordPolitics.com: Archives of Minneapolis Property Rights Action Committee www
Describes activities and history of MPRAC, Archives of Minneapolis Property Rights Action Committee, a group of inner-city landlords, offering its view of tenant-landlord issues and the treatment of landlords by the local government and news media. LandlordPolitics.com: Archives of Minneapolis Property Rights Action Committee.
- Professional Australasian Housing Institute www
Professional body for individual practitioners in the broad social housing sector in Australasia - linking social housing workers in Australia and New Zealand. Housing Institute. Details of membership benefits, events and publications. Australasian Housing Institute.
- The Narpac: Public Housing Issues in Washington, DC www
The National Association to Restore Pride in America's Capital explains the problems of public in Washington, Public Housing Issues in Washington, DC, D.C., USA and new ways that have been used to improve this system. Narpac: Public Housing Issues in Washington, DC.
- Helps Housing Assistance Council www
Helps local organizations in rural America build affordable homes. Assistance Council. Includes information about loans, technical assistance, training, links, publications and relevant articles. Housing Assistance Council.
- Information Housing and Housing Policy www
Information from the UK Department for Communities and Local Government, and Housing Policy, concerning policy on housing issues. Housing and Housing Policy.
- UK Housingnet www
UK housing information resource, Housingnet, containing a social housing database, information and topical debate. Also includes an online maintenance manual. Housingnet.
- A Council for Affordable and Rural Housing www
A national advocacy and educational association for individuals and businesses involved in the financing, for Affordable and Rural Housing, development and management of affordable rural housing. Council for Affordable and Rural Housing.
- Group Center on Budget and Policy Priorities - Housing www
Group works to make sure that US federal housing subsidies are directed to the most needy citizens. Budget and Policy Priorities - Housing. Page includes list of research areas, current state issues and events. Center on Budget and Policy Priorities - Housing.
- United Housing Studies Association www
United Kingdom forum for housing related research and debate. Studies Association. Details of conference and events as well as recent publications from HSA. Housing Studies Association.
- In NPR: Housing First www
In this yearlong special reporting project Housing First, Housing First, NPR News explores the housing dilemmas of Americans with special needs -- and how lack of housing can stymy their efforts to join mainstream society. NPR: Housing First.
- The Joint Center for Housing Studies www
The Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University analyzes the ways in which housing policy and practices are shaped by economic and demographic trends. Joint Center for Housing Studies.
- Resource Community Housing NSW www
Resource for community housing providers and tenants in New South Wales. Community Housing NSW.
- Article The Price Is Wrong www
Article by Errol T. Price Is Wrong. Louis in City Limits magazine [New York] examining the way appraisal "redlining" skews estimated community property values downward. The Price Is Wrong.
- Searchable Housing Information Gateway www
Searchable international database on housing experts, Information Gateway, organizations, events, bibliographies, and listservs that allows users to post additional information. Page uses frames. Housing Information Gateway.
- News, Australasian Housing Information Network www
News, Housing Information Network, reports, conferences and employment opportunities from leading Australian housing policy and research centres. Australasian Housing Information Network.
- Analyses United Nations Centre for Human Settlements - Habitat (UNCHS) www
Analyses and studies human settlement patterns, Nations Centre for Human Settlements - Habitat (UNCHS), and develops methods for controlled settlement with the preservation of the environment in mind. United Nations Centre for Human Settlements - Habitat (UNCHS).
- Funded National Home of Your Own Alliance www
Funded by the Administration on Developmental Disabilities to promote opportunities for people with disabilities to own and control their homes. National Home of Your Own Alliance.
- Research Housing New Canadians Research Working Group www
Research partnership focused on housing access and discrimination in the Toronto area. New Canadians Research Working Group. Research projects examine the housing search process used by immigrants and refugees, the quality and cost of the housing they obtain, the degree to which their housing needs are met, and the nature and extent of any housing-related discrimination. Housing New Canadians Research Working Group.
- A Chartered Institute of Housing www
A professional body for people working in housing in the United Kingdom. Institute of Housing. Promotes the provision and management of good quality, affordable housing. Chartered Institute of Housing.
- Wes Building More, Wanting Less www
Wes Janz, More, Wanting Less, Professor of Architecture at Ball State University, photographs and comments on living conditions in working class neighborhoods of cities across the world. Contributions by others and further submissions requested. Building More, Wanting Less.
- A Housing: A Basic Human Right www
A presentation by Ken Kimmelman, Basic Human Right, Barbara Buehler Anthony Romeo, and Dale Laurin, arguing that Aesthetic Realism explains America's housing crisis, the cause, and the solution. Speakers, petition. Housing: A Basic Human Right.
- News, Almanac of Policy Issues: Housing www
News, Policy Issues: Housing, background information, and links on U.S. housing issues, including public housing, Section 8 vouchers, and rent control. Almanac of Policy Issues: Housing.
- Information Squat!net www
Information on all squatted buildings and areas around the world. Squat!net. An international forum on squatted houses, squatting and carsides. Squat!net.
- A Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute (AHURI) www
A consortium of research centres funded by Australian State and Commonwealth Governments, Housing and Urban Research Institute (AHURI), as well as by member universities. Housing research publications. Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute (AHURI).
- News Public Housing Authorities Directors Association www
News articles, Housing Authorities Directors Association, studies, resource library, calendar, member directory and other resources related to public housing operations and funding. Public Housing Authorities Directors Association.
- Supports Enterprise Community Partners www
Supports over 1200 community-based nonprofits creating homes affordable to low-income Americans. Community Partners. Offers funding applications and timelines, resource database, a forum and other developer support, all searchable. Enterprise Community Partners.
- The The Rupert Coalition - Rupert Residential Community Services Inc www
The coalition is concerned with poverty, Rupert Coalition - Rupert Residential Community Services Inc, rooming houses, supportive, and Single-Room Occupancy housing issues in Toronto, Canada. The Rupert Coalition - Rupert Residential Community Services Inc.
- Californian Housing Rights Center www
Californian housing rights centers. Rights Center. Landlord/tenant counseling, discrimination complaint investigation and outreach and education. Housing Rights Center.
- Information Institute for Research on Poverty www
Information about the institute, for Research on Poverty, explanations of poverty measures, research, and links. One of two national poverty research centers designated by the US Department of Health and Human Services. Institute for Research on Poverty.
- Links Homeless Publications - HUD USER www
Links to publications about homelessness from The U. Publications - HUD USER.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's (HUD's) Office of Policy Development and Research Homeless Publications - HUD USER.
- A IMPACT Center for Independent Living www
A site to preserve and promote the rich history and philosophy of the independent living movement. IMPACT Center for Independent Living.
- A Disability World www
A web-zine dedicated to advancing an exchange of information and research about the international independent living movement of people with disabilities. Disability World.
- Promotes Children Helping Children www
Promotes the needs of the young in third world by raising money to educate and house them, Helping Children, plus give them a purpose in life. Children Helping Children.
- A RESULTS UK www
A British organisation whose aim is to generate the political will to end hunger and poverty by lobbying MPs, UK, letter-writing and media work. RESULTS UK.
- News Ohio landlord tenant law www
News and information about tenants rights in Ohio. Ohio landlord tenant law.
- Serves The Tenants Union www
Serves tenants in Washington State with advocacy, Tenants Union, organizing, and counseling about tenants rights. The Tenants Union.
- Library Speakout.com: Issues www
Library of online information and links related to (mostly U. Issues.S.) public policy issues. Formerly Policy.com. Speakout.com: Issues.
- Nonprofit, IGC - Institute for Global Communications www
Nonprofit, Institute for Global Communications, provides alternative sources of information, and comprehensive Internet services for progressive individuals and organizations. IGC - Institute for Global Communications.
- Alexa: Housing Issues
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Housing Issues
- DMOZ: Housing Issues
dmoz.org Directory: Housing Issues