In law, fraud is intentional deception to cause a person to give up property or some lawful right. Fraud as more generally defined is deceit, trickery or cheating. This section is intended more for the legal description of fraud but may involve human rights or other issues which may or may not have any monetary or economic concerns. Fraud Issues Society.
In law, fraud is deliberate deception to secure unfair or unlawful gain, or to deprive a victim of a legal right. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: In law, fraud is deliberate deception to secure unfair or unlawful gain, or to deprive a victim of a legal right. Fraud itself can be a civil wrong, a criminal wrong, or it may cause no loss of money, property or legal right but still be an element of another civil or criminal wrong. The purpose of fraud may be monetary gain or other benefits, such as obtaining a passport or travel document, driver's license or qualifying for a mortgage by way of false statements.
- Fraud Category
- Bait-and-switch - Bait-and-switch is a form of fraud used in retail sales, but also employed in other contexts.
- Caper stories (such as The Sting ).
- Contract fraud - Breach of contract is a legal cause of action and a type of civil wrong, in which a binding agreement or bargained-for exchange is not honored by one or more of the parties to the contract by non-performance or interference with the other party's performance.
- Corruption - Political corruption is the use of powers by government officials for illegitimate private gain. An illegal act by an officeholder constitutes political corruption only if the act is directly related to their official duties, is done under color of law or involves trading in influence.
- Cramming (fraud) - Cramming is a form of fraud in which small charges are added to a bill by a third party without the subscriber's consent or disclosure. These may be disguised as a tax, some other common fee or a bogus service, and may be several dollars or even just a few cents.
- Creative accounting - Creative accounting is a euphemism referring to accounting practices that may follow the letter of the rules of standard accounting practices, but deviate from the spirit of those rules.
- Property crimes
- Tort law
- Guide Financial Scandals www
Guide and links to information on major financial scandals, Scandals, bank frauds, money laundering, corruption, scams, and organized crime. Financial Scandals.
- Collection Hot Scams www
Collection of articles, Scams, news, videos and reports of scams on the internet. Hot Scams.
- Beating Marlock's Fraudtech Institute of Cons, Frauds and Other Lies www
Beating the con artists of our society at their own game isn't difficult once you know how the games are played. Fraudtech Institute of Cons, Frauds and Other Lies. This public service site provides all who visit with the knowledge needed to survive in a world of deception. Marlock's Fraudtech Institute of Cons, Frauds and Other Lies.
- Seeks Quatloos www
Seeks to educate about various types of scams and frauds, Quatloos, how these deals really work, and how to manage the risks. Quatloos.
- Provides Cagey Consumer www
Provides information, Consumer, news, alerts and resources to assist consumers in identifying scams and bad deals. Cagey Consumer.
- Comprehensive Scamwatch www
Comprehensive site providing information on several types of scams, Scamwatch, schemes and fraud. Site information is provided by various Australian consumer protection agencies but most of the information is universal. Scamwatch.
- Interactive Scam Shield www
Interactive community dedicated to fighting consumer fraud. Shield. Features 'report a scam' section, fraud resources and email alert service. Scam Shield.
- Resources American Petroleum Promotions Fraud www
Resources for independent sales representatives left out in the cold. American Petroleum Promotions Fraud.
- Reports American Alcohol Analyzers Fraud www
Reports on a fraudulent "company" that sells coin operated breathalyzer vending machines. American Alcohol Analyzers Fraud.
- International Association of Certified Fraud Examiners www
International 25, Certified Fraud Examiners,000-member professional organization dedicated to fighting fraud and white-collar crime. Association of Certified Fraud Examiners.
- The Seniors Beware--Don't Become a Victim of Fraud www
The Ohio State University Extension provides information on how to identify a fraud. Seniors Beware--Don't Become a Victim of Fraud.
- Free Fraud-Aid - First aid for fraud victims www
Free online fraud victim assistance and education. Fraud-Aid - First aid for fraud victims.
- Amusing Scams 101 www
Amusing site providing information on all types of scams. Scams 101.
- Article Counterfeiting www
Article about the spread of counterfeit cash, Counterfeiting, and the art of J.S.G. Boggs. Counterfeiting.
- Highlights Scams www
Highlights of historical scams, Scams, frauds, bubbles, pyramids, cons and humbugs. Scams.
- Better BBB kNOw Fraud Video www
Better Business Bureau's online video, kNOw Fraud Video, narrated by Lou Gosset, Jr., shows examples of common telemarketing and mail frauds. Windows Media Player needed (free download available). BBB kNOw Fraud Video.
- Information Avoid Becoming a Victim of Credit Card Fraud www
Information for merchants who operate e-commerce sites on recognizing signs of fraud and what to do if you become a victim. Avoid Becoming a Victim of Credit Card Fraud.
- How A Bell Tolls www
How to avoid pre-paid phone card scams. Bell Tolls. Learn the tricks, questions to ask, and what to do to avoid being the victim of a prepaid calling card scam. A Bell Tolls.
- Better Better Business Bureau www
Better Business Bureaus can alert you to complaints against companies in your area. Better Business Bureau.
- Real Lies People Tell www
Real lies from real lives. Lies People Tell.
- Information Crimes of Persuasion www
Information on the workings and scope of telemarketing and investment fraud and consumer scams. Crimes of Persuasion.
- Devoted The 419 Coalition www
Devoted to fighting the advance money scam, 419 Coalition, in which victims are offered millions for allowing an even greater sum to be deposited in their bank account, but end up having their accounts drained or being fooled into advancing fictitious taxes, fees or bribes. The 419 Coalition.
- Provides Artists Against 419 www
Provides information on fake bank sites and how to distinguish them from legitimate ones, Against 419, along with announcements of monthly flash mob events aiming to shut down fake bank sites through bandwidth siphoning. Artists Against 419.
- False Advertising by The Bosley Medical Institute www
10 things you should know about The Bosley Medical Group. Advertising by The Bosley Medical Institute. From Attorney General's consumer protection lawsuit, medical board violations, consumer oriented site. False Advertising by The Bosley Medical Institute.
- Describes Baker Book House www
Describes lawyer's harassment of a website legally publishing thousands of public-domain and permission-granted texts, Book House, alleging somewhere among them were some unspecified texts with permission granted improperly. Baker Book House.
- Reflections undesign - a plan for all seasons www
Reflections on the wisdom of Tibor Kalman, a plan for all seasons, social responsibility, and a designer's role in the digital age. undesign - a plan for all seasons.
- Research-led Harvard Business School - U.S. Competitiveness www
Research-led project to understand and improve the competitiveness of the United States: the ability of firms operating in the U. Business School - U.S. Competitiveness.S. to compete successfully in the global economy while supporting high and rising living standards for Americans. Harvard Business School - U.S. Competitiveness.
- Provides What's Wrong with Multi-Level Marketing? www
Provides an in-depth analysis of MLM and areas to be avoided. Wrong with Multi-Level Marketing?. Includes links to anti-MLM research and information. What's Wrong with Multi-Level Marketing?.
- Online Shaking the Money Tree www
Online article by Ami Shen Lee exposes the pitfalls of multilevel marketing. Shaking the Money Tree.
- Exposes DietFraud.com www
Exposes diet fraud, DietFraud.com, rip-offs, and scams. DietFraud.com.
- Better File a Complaint www
Better business bureau online accepts your complains and forwards them to the appropriate law enforcement authorities. File a Complaint.
- Tips RCMP Frauds and Scams: Identity Theft www
Tips from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. RCMP Frauds and Scams: Identity Theft.
- Empowering Identity Theft Security www
Empowering consumers with tips, Theft Security, resources, and tools to prevent becoming victims of identity theft. Identity Theft Security.
- Library Speakout.com: Issues www
Library of online information and links related to (mostly U. Issues.S.) public policy issues. Formerly Policy.com. Speakout.com: Issues.
- Nonprofit, IGC - Institute for Global Communications www
Nonprofit, Institute for Global Communications, provides alternative sources of information, and comprehensive Internet services for progressive individuals and organizations. IGC - Institute for Global Communications.
- Alexa: Fraud Issues
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Fraud Issues
- DMOZ: Fraud Issues
dmoz.org Directory: Fraud Issues