In law, fraud is intentional deception to cause a person to give up property or some lawful right. Fraud as more generally defined is deceit, trickery or cheating. This section is intended more for the legal description of fraud but may involve human rights or other issues which may or may not have any monetary or economic concerns. Fraud Issues Society.
In law, fraud is deliberate deception to secure unfair or unlawful gain, or to deprive a victim of a legal right. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: In law, fraud is deliberate deception to secure unfair or unlawful gain, or to deprive a victim of a legal right. Fraud itself can be a civil wrong, a criminal wrong or it may cause no loss of money, property or legal right but still be an element of another civil or criminal wrong. The purpose of fraud may be monetary gain or other benefits, such as obtaining a passport or travel document, driver's license or qualifying for a mortgage by way of false statements.
- Fraud Category
- Bait-and-switch - Bait-and-switch is a form of fraud used in retail sales, but also employed in other contexts.
- Caper stories (such as The Sting ).
- Contract fraud - Breach of contract is a legal cause of action and a type of civil wrong, in which a binding agreement or bargained-for exchange is not honored by one or more of the parties to the contract by non-performance or interference with the other party's performance.
- Corruption - Political corruption is the use of powers by government officials for illegitimate private gain. An illegal act by an officeholder constitutes political corruption only if the act is directly related to their official duties, is done under color of law or involves trading in influence.
- Cramming (fraud) - Cramming is a form of fraud in which small charges are added to a bill by a third party without the subscriber's consent or disclosure. These may be disguised as a tax, some other common fee or a bogus service, and may be several dollars or even just a few cents.
- Creative accounting - Creative accounting is a euphemism referring to accounting practices that may follow the letter of the rules of standard accounting practices, but deviate from the spirit of those rules.
- Property crimes
- Tort law
- Provides Cagey Consumer www
Provides information, Consumer, news, alerts and resources to assist consumers in identifying scams and bad deals. Cagey Consumer.
- Free Fraud-Aid - First aid for fraud victims www
Free online fraud victim assistance and education. Fraud-Aid - First aid for fraud victims.
- Guide Financial Scandals www
Guide and links to information on major financial scandals, Scandals, bank frauds, money laundering, corruption, scams, and organized crime. Financial Scandals.
- Collection Hot Scams www
Collection of articles, Scams, news, videos and reports of scams on the internet. Hot Scams.
- Seeks Quatloos www
Seeks to educate about various types of scams and frauds, Quatloos, how these deals really work, and how to manage the risks. Quatloos.
- Real Lies People Tell www
Real lies from real lives. Lies People Tell.
- Comprehensive Scamwatch www
Comprehensive site providing information on several types of scams, Scamwatch, schemes and fraud. Site information is provided by various Australian consumer protection agencies but most of the information is universal. Scamwatch.
- Reports American Alcohol Analyzers Fraud www
Reports on a fraudulent "company" that sells coin operated breathalyzer vending machines. American Alcohol Analyzers Fraud.
- International Association of Certified Fraud Examiners www
International 25, Certified Fraud Examiners,000-member professional organization dedicated to fighting fraud and white-collar crime. Association of Certified Fraud Examiners.
- Beating Marlock's Fraudtech Institute of Cons, Frauds and Other Lies www
Beating the con artists of our society at their own game isn't difficult once you know how the games are played. Fraudtech Institute of Cons, Frauds and Other Lies. This public service site provides all who visit with the knowledge needed to survive in a world of deception. Marlock's Fraudtech Institute of Cons, Frauds and Other Lies.
- Information Crimes of Persuasion www
Information on the workings and scope of telemarketing and investment fraud and consumer scams. Crimes of Persuasion.
- Highlights Scams www
Highlights of historical scams, Scams, frauds, bubbles, pyramids, cons and humbugs. Scams.
- How A Bell Tolls www
How to avoid pre-paid phone card scams. Bell Tolls. Learn the tricks, questions to ask, and what to do to avoid being the victim of a prepaid calling card scam. A Bell Tolls.
- Information Avoid Becoming a Victim of Credit Card Fraud www
Information for merchants who operate e-commerce sites on recognizing signs of fraud and what to do if you become a victim. Avoid Becoming a Victim of Credit Card Fraud.
- Amusing Scams 101 www
Amusing site providing information on all types of scams. Scams 101.
- The Seniors Beware--Don't Become a Victim of Fraud www
The Ohio State University Extension provides information on how to identify a fraud. Seniors Beware--Don't Become a Victim of Fraud.
- Interactive Scam Shield www
Interactive community dedicated to fighting consumer fraud. Shield. Features 'report a scam' section, fraud resources and email alert service. Scam Shield.
- Resources American Petroleum Promotions Fraud www
Resources for independent sales representatives left out in the cold. American Petroleum Promotions Fraud.
- Better Better Business Bureau www
Better Business Bureaus can alert you to complaints against companies in your area. Better Business Bureau.
- Article Counterfeiting www
Article about the spread of counterfeit cash, Counterfeiting, and the art of J.S.G. Boggs. Counterfeiting.
- Better BBB kNOw Fraud Video www
Better Business Bureau's online video, kNOw Fraud Video, narrated by Lou Gosset, Jr., shows examples of common telemarketing and mail frauds. Windows Media Player needed (free download available). BBB kNOw Fraud Video.
- Provides Artists Against 419 www
Provides information on fake bank sites and how to distinguish them from legitimate ones, Against 419, along with announcements of monthly flash mob events aiming to shut down fake bank sites through bandwidth siphoning. Artists Against 419.
- Examines The Nigerian Nightmare www
Examines the 419 scam as well as its history, Nigerian Nightmare, going back several decades. [Slate] The Nigerian Nightmare.
- The Report Scams Here www
The scam message board allows consumers to post their bad experiences and inform the public. Report Scams Here.
- Article The China Lobby's Campaign for Two-Way Trade with China www
Article lists the 20 largest US corporations giving "soft" political money to push for China's Most Favored Nation status and admission to the WTO. China Lobby's Campaign for Two-Way Trade with China. [Multinational Monitor] The China Lobby's Campaign for Two-Way Trade with China.
- Provides B Corporation www
Provides a framework and certification for companies wishing to benefit society as well as their shareholders. B Corporation.
- Analyzes, The One and Only Anti-Music Industry Website www
Analyzes, One and Only Anti-Music Industry Website, examines, and exposes what it calls "the tasteless and evil practices of the music industry". The One and Only Anti-Music Industry Website.
- Online Shaking the Money Tree www
Online article by Ami Shen Lee exposes the pitfalls of multilevel marketing. Shaking the Money Tree.
- Provides What's Wrong with Multi-Level Marketing? www
Provides an in-depth analysis of MLM and areas to be avoided. Wrong with Multi-Level Marketing?. Includes links to anti-MLM research and information. What's Wrong with Multi-Level Marketing?.
- Issue-based National Health Care Anti-Fraud Association www
Issue-based organization for the detection, Health Care Anti-Fraud Association, investigation, and prosecution of health care fraud. National Health Care Anti-Fraud Association.
- Better File a Complaint www
Better business bureau online accepts your complains and forwards them to the appropriate law enforcement authorities. File a Complaint.
- Tips RCMP Frauds and Scams: Identity Theft www
Tips from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. RCMP Frauds and Scams: Identity Theft.
- Office Utah: IRIS Identity Theft Information System www
Office of the Utah State Attorney General provides information about identity theft and a reporting system for residents of Utah. Utah: IRIS Identity Theft Information System.
- A MillionSoulsAware.org www
A not-for-profit project aiming to raise awareness of issues of concern. MillionSoulsAware.org. Once a million persons have read the current featured article, the site will cover another topic. MillionSoulsAware.org.
- Nonprofit, IGC - Institute for Global Communications www
Nonprofit, Institute for Global Communications, provides alternative sources of information, and comprehensive Internet services for progressive individuals and organizations. IGC - Institute for Global Communications.
- Alexa: Fraud Issues
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Fraud Issues
- DMOZ: Fraud Issues
dmoz.org Directory: Fraud Issues