In law, fraud is intentional deception to cause a person to give up property or some lawful right. Fraud as more generally defined is deceit, trickery or cheating. This section is intended more for the legal description of fraud but may involve human rights or other issues which may or may not have any monetary or economic concerns. Fraud Issues Society.
In law, fraud is deliberate deception to secure unfair or unlawful gain, or to deprive a victim of a legal right. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: In law, fraud is deliberate deception to secure unfair or unlawful gain, or to deprive a victim of a legal right. Fraud itself can be a civil wrong, a criminal wrong or it may cause no loss of money, property or legal right but still be an element of another civil or criminal wrong. The purpose of fraud may be monetary gain or other benefits, such as obtaining a passport or travel document, driver's license or qualifying for a mortgage by way of false statements.
- Fraud Category
- Bait-and-switch - Bait-and-switch is a form of fraud used in retail sales, but also employed in other contexts.
- Caper stories (such as The Sting ).
- Contract fraud - Breach of contract is a legal cause of action and a type of civil wrong, in which a binding agreement or bargained-for exchange is not honored by one or more of the parties to the contract by non-performance or interference with the other party's performance.
- Corruption - Political corruption is the use of powers by government officials for illegitimate private gain. An illegal act by an officeholder constitutes political corruption only if the act is directly related to their official duties, is done under color of law or involves trading in influence.
- Cramming (fraud) - Cramming is a form of fraud in which small charges are added to a bill by a third party without the subscriber's consent or disclosure. These may be disguised as a tax, some other common fee or a bogus service, and may be several dollars or even just a few cents.
- Creative accounting - Creative accounting is a euphemism referring to accounting practices that may follow the letter of the rules of standard accounting practices, but deviate from the spirit of those rules.
- Property crimes
- Tort law
- Collection Hot Scams www
Collection of articles, Scams, news, videos and reports of scams on the internet. Hot Scams.
- Resources American Petroleum Promotions Fraud www
Resources for independent sales representatives left out in the cold. American Petroleum Promotions Fraud.
- Amusing Scams 101 www
Amusing site providing information on all types of scams. Scams 101.
- Better BBB kNOw Fraud Video www
Better Business Bureau's online video, kNOw Fraud Video, narrated by Lou Gosset, Jr., shows examples of common telemarketing and mail frauds. Windows Media Player needed (free download available). BBB kNOw Fraud Video.
- Real Lies People Tell www
Real lies from real lives. Lies People Tell.
- Information Avoid Becoming a Victim of Credit Card Fraud www
Information for merchants who operate e-commerce sites on recognizing signs of fraud and what to do if you become a victim. Avoid Becoming a Victim of Credit Card Fraud.
- Better Better Business Bureau www
Better Business Bureaus can alert you to complaints against companies in your area. Better Business Bureau.
- Article Counterfeiting www
Article about the spread of counterfeit cash, Counterfeiting, and the art of J.S.G. Boggs. Counterfeiting.
- Interactive Scam Shield www
Interactive community dedicated to fighting consumer fraud. Shield. Features 'report a scam' section, fraud resources and email alert service. Scam Shield.
- Provides Cagey Consumer www
Provides information, Consumer, news, alerts and resources to assist consumers in identifying scams and bad deals. Cagey Consumer.
- Information Crimes of Persuasion www
Information on the workings and scope of telemarketing and investment fraud and consumer scams. Crimes of Persuasion.
- Free Fraud-Aid - First aid for fraud victims www
Free online fraud victim assistance and education. Fraud-Aid - First aid for fraud victims.
- Guide Financial Scandals www
Guide and links to information on major financial scandals, Scandals, bank frauds, money laundering, corruption, scams, and organized crime. Financial Scandals.
- The Seniors Beware--Don't Become a Victim of Fraud www
The Ohio State University Extension provides information on how to identify a fraud. Seniors Beware--Don't Become a Victim of Fraud.
- Comprehensive Scamwatch www
Comprehensive site providing information on several types of scams, Scamwatch, schemes and fraud. Site information is provided by various Australian consumer protection agencies but most of the information is universal. Scamwatch.
- How A Bell Tolls www
How to avoid pre-paid phone card scams. Bell Tolls. Learn the tricks, questions to ask, and what to do to avoid being the victim of a prepaid calling card scam. A Bell Tolls.
- Seeks Quatloos www
Seeks to educate about various types of scams and frauds, Quatloos, how these deals really work, and how to manage the risks. Quatloos.
- Beating Marlock's Fraudtech Institute of Cons, Frauds and Other Lies www
Beating the con artists of our society at their own game isn't difficult once you know how the games are played. Fraudtech Institute of Cons, Frauds and Other Lies. This public service site provides all who visit with the knowledge needed to survive in a world of deception. Marlock's Fraudtech Institute of Cons, Frauds and Other Lies.
- Reports American Alcohol Analyzers Fraud www
Reports on a fraudulent "company" that sells coin operated breathalyzer vending machines. American Alcohol Analyzers Fraud.
- Highlights Scams www
Highlights of historical scams, Scams, frauds, bubbles, pyramids, cons and humbugs. Scams.
- International Association of Certified Fraud Examiners www
International 25, Certified Fraud Examiners,000-member professional organization dedicated to fighting fraud and white-collar crime. Association of Certified Fraud Examiners.
- Outlines Nigerian Scam www
Outlines the basics of this con, Scam, mentions variations, gives an example of a typical letter, explains how victims are taken in by this long-running scam. Links to further information. Nigerian Scam.
- Information Africanscam.co.uk www
Information and links on 419 scams; correspondence and photographs from some scambaiting projects. Africanscam.co.uk.
- An Topsites LLC and MyDirectory LLC www
An investigation into misleading "renewal notice" spam for the Topsites. LLC and MyDirectory LLC.us web directory, including traffic analysis and background business details. Topsites LLC and MyDirectory LLC.
- Documents Stop Waste Management www
Documents allegations against Waste Management Inc. Waste Management. (also known as WMI, WMX, Chem Waste, and other names), including environmental degradation, racism, and bribery. Includes text of a book by Charles Cray. Stop Waste Management.
- Article iMedia Connection: How's Your Reputation? www
Article suggests that actively managing what search engines say about your business can head off costly attacks. Connection: How's Your Reputation?. iMedia Connection: How's Your Reputation?.
- Seeks The Fairtrade Foundation www
Seeks to tackle the exploitation of workers in developing countries by giving consumers the opportunity to buy products that guarantee a better deal to producers. Fairtrade Foundation. Information resources and a report on coffee farmers and international trade. The Fairtrade Foundation.
- Provides What's Wrong with Multi-Level Marketing? www
Provides an in-depth analysis of MLM and areas to be avoided. Wrong with Multi-Level Marketing?. Includes links to anti-MLM research and information. What's Wrong with Multi-Level Marketing?.
- Online Shaking the Money Tree www
Online article by Ami Shen Lee exposes the pitfalls of multilevel marketing. Shaking the Money Tree.
- Issue-based National Health Care Anti-Fraud Association www
Issue-based organization for the detection, Health Care Anti-Fraud Association, investigation, and prosecution of health care fraud. National Health Care Anti-Fraud Association.
- Information Health Watch UK www
Information on how to spot fraudulent claims. Watch UK. Non-profit organization in the UK. Health Watch UK.
- Consumer California Office of Privacy Protection www
Consumer information from this California state government agency. Office of Privacy Protection. Some information also in Spanish. California Office of Privacy Protection.
- FBI Federal Bureau of Investigations: Cyber Investigations www
FBI branch organized to dismantle national and transnational organized criminal enterprises engaging in Internet fraud including identity theft. Federal Bureau of Investigations: Cyber Investigations.
- Nonprofit, IGC - Institute for Global Communications www
Nonprofit, Institute for Global Communications, provides alternative sources of information, and comprehensive Internet services for progressive individuals and organizations. IGC - Institute for Global Communications.
- A MillionSoulsAware.org www
A not-for-profit project aiming to raise awareness of issues of concern. MillionSoulsAware.org. Once a million persons have read the current featured article, the site will cover another topic. MillionSoulsAware.org.
- Alexa: Fraud Issues
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Fraud Issues
- DMOZ: Fraud Issues
dmoz.org Directory: Fraud Issues