Society: Issues: Education is intended for websites and pages dealing with public issues related to education: access to education, financing of education, government control of schools, legislation, policy, news, etc. Sites specifically intended for students or teachers, or with a classroom focus, should be submitted to the appropriate subsection of Reference: Education. Subcategories of Society:Issues:Education and cross-linked categories include Bilingual Education, Education Reform, Home Schooling, Literacy, School Choice (vouchers, etc.), Sex Education, and Church-State Relations:Public Schools. (As of 6 April 1999.) Education Issues Society.
Education is the process of facilitating learning, or the acquisition of knowledge, skills, values, beliefs, and habits. (wikipedia)
- Education The process of facilitating learning, or the acquisition of knowledge, skills, values...
- An Education (2009 film) A 2009 coming-of-age drama film based on a memoir of the same name by British journalist Lynn...
- School of education A division within a university that is devoted to scholarship in the field of education, which...
- Education (Chittenden Memorial Window) A stained-glass window commissioned from Louis Comfort Tiffany's Tiffany Glass Company during the...
- Research-based National Association of School Psychologists - Position Statements www
Research-based statements covering controversial educational issues in US schools. National Association of School Psychologists - Position Statements.
- Essays Lessontutor.com - Educational Policy Issues www
Essays about teaching and the politics of running schools. Lessontutor.com - Educational Policy Issues.
- Articles Media Visions www
Articles and essays by journalist Ken Freed, Visions, covering issues related to literacy and educational technology. Media Visions.
- A The Right to Education Project www
A resource on the status of the right to education as outlined by the United Nations, Right to Education Project, supporting the work of the UN Special Rapporteur on education. Includes links to allied organizations. The Right to Education Project.
- Join NPR Talk of the Nation : Intellectuals on Campus www
Join host Neal Conan for a discussion about intellectualism on campus. Talk of the Nation : Intellectuals on Campus. [32:31 streaming audio broadcast] NPR Talk of the Nation : Intellectuals on Campus.
- Commentary The Quick and the Ed www
Commentary about a wide range of issues in American education. The Quick and the Ed.
- NPR NPR : Homework: How Much is Too Much? www
NPR presents a multi-part series on homework -- how educators are balancing mandates to improve test scores against a chronic lack of resources and the need for children to have enough time to be children. Homework: How Much is Too Much?. [Four segments, each in Realaudio format.] NPR : Homework: How Much is Too Much?.
- Policies, National Center on Education and the Economy www
Policies, Center on Education and the Economy, tools, technical assistance and professional development that people everywhere can use to design and implement effective standards-based education and training systems. National Center on Education and the Economy.
- Producer NPR : Hearing Voices: High School's 'Quiet Kids' www
Producer Hilary Frank of the Hearing Voices radio project presents the voices of some quiet kids, Hearing Voices: High School's 'Quiet Kids', teenagers, who feel isolated from the cultural life of their high schools. The story originally aired on member station WBEZ's Chicago Matters. [4:07 streaming audio broadcast] NPR : Hearing Voices: High School's 'Quiet Kids'.
- Collected Future of Freedom Foundation: Education www
Collected essays presenting a libertarian perspective on the U. Freedom Foundation: Education.S. education system. Among the issues addressed are vouchers, compulsory attendance laws, and school violence. Future of Freedom Foundation: Education.
- News Christian Science Monitor - Learning www
News feed of the newspaper's weekly coverage of education topics. Christian Science Monitor - Learning.
- Committed Equity Center www
Committed to helping public school personnel embrace the key concepts of equity and eliminate bias and discrimination in the context of their day-to-day activities. Equity Center.
- Provides The National Center for Public Policy and Higher Education www
Provides action-oriented analyses of state and federal policies affecting education beyond high school. The National Center for Public Policy and Higher Education.
- Optimizing Organizational Development in Education www
Optimizing schools, Development in Education, colleges, and universities through proven techniques such as cultural change, strategic measurement, process consulting, and other methods. Organizational Development in Education.
- Article CSMonitor.com - Before you cheer, sign here www
Article on public school extracurricular activity liability waivers. CSMonitor.com - Before you cheer, sign here.
- Promotes Global Campaign for Education www
Promotes education as a basic human right, Campaign for Education, and mobilizes public pressure on governments and the international community to provide free, compulsory public basic education for all people. Includes news, resources, and action plans. Global Campaign for Education.
- A The Kid-Safe Network www
A nation-wide educational program to teach children and parents about the dangers of child molesters. Kid-Safe Network. Learn special methods to avoid these dangers. The Kid-Safe Network.
- An Educational Pathways to Power www
An address by Hilary Lips - recipient of the New Zealand Federation of University Women's Distinguished American Scholar Award - and distributed by Radford University's Center for Gender Studies. Educational Pathways to Power.
- An The Condition of Education (USA) www
An integrated collection of the indicators and analyses published in The Condition of Education 2000, Condition of Education (USA), 2001 and 2002. The Condition of Education (USA).
- Links Internet Sources for Higher Education Policy and Research www
Links to higher education policy centers (both university-based and freestanding), Sources for Higher Education Policy and Research, associations, publications, and other policy-related issues, from the American Council on Education. Internet Sources for Higher Education Policy and Research.
- Latest Almanac of Policy Issues: Education www
Latest news, Policy Issues: Education, background information and links on U.S. elementary, secondary, and higher education issues. Almanac of Policy Issues: Education.
- Weblog Joannejacobs.com www
Weblog of the freelance writer and former San Jose Mercury News columnist. Joannejacobs.com. Most entries are about education issues, both college and precollege. Joannejacobs.com.
- Sandra Education Matters - Essays on Public Education www
Sandra Nichols writes about bilingual education, Matters - Essays on Public Education, safe schools, small schools and the importance of trust and good communication between students, parents, teachers, and administrators. Education Matters - Essays on Public Education.
- Research Moral Issues in Education www
Research articles and other essays regarding character education in the United States and Japan, Issues in Education, by Taku Ikemoto Moral Issues in Education.
- Weekly Education Week www
Weekly news on American education issues. Week. Searchable archives. Education Week.
- A Our Nation's Kids: Is Something Wrong? www
A report on people's thinking in national issues forums. Nation's Kids: Is Something Wrong?. This report describes what happened as people deliberated about issues related to our nation's kids: the values they drew on, the considerations they took into account, the costs and consequences they weighed as they talked, listened to others, and had time to reflect on the issue. Our Nation's Kids: Is Something Wrong?.
- ICE International Correspondents in Education (ICE) www
ICE is a world-wide network of freelance journalists and copy-writers who specialise in education issues. Correspondents in Education (ICE). International Correspondents in Education (ICE).
- News CSMonitor.com - Learning www
News coverage of education (K-12, Learning, college, and adult ed.). CSMonitor.com - Learning.
- Commentary From Inkwells to an Electronic Learning Community www
Commentary on technological wonders as they impact education. From Inkwells to an Electronic Learning Community.
- Dedicated Independent Voices for Better Education www
Dedicated to improving education and educational accountability. Independent Voices for Better Education.
- Public NPR/Kaiser/Kennedy School Education Survey www
Public approves of higher taxes for schools, School Education Survey, but wants fairness in funding; support weak for vouchers and unclear for charter schools. Read or take the poll. NPR/Kaiser/Kennedy School Education Survey.
- Many NYTimes.com - Sleep Is One Thing Missing in Busy Teenage Lives www
Many teenagers live in a state of chronic sleep deficit that can affect mood, Sleep Is One Thing Missing in Busy Teenage Lives, behavior, schoolwork and reaction time. [Requires free nytimes.com registration to view.] NYTimes.com - Sleep Is One Thing Missing in Busy Teenage Lives.
- Commentary The Quick and The Ed www
Commentary about a wide range of issues in American education. The Quick and The Ed.
- How Salon News: P is for Prozac www
How a government corrupted by special interests is spawning a generation of medicated preschoolers. Salon News: P is for Prozac.
- State NYTimes.com - Schools' Backing of Behavior Drugs Comes Under Fire www
State legislatures are moving to prevent schools from recommending or requiring that parents put their children on behavior medication. Schools' Backing of Behavior Drugs Comes Under Fire. This comes at a time when many drug manufacturers are encouraging parents to consider their products as possible solutions to school problems. [Requires free NYTimes.com registration to view.] NYTimes.com - Schools' Backing of Behavior Drugs Comes Under Fire.
- This National Council for Languages and International Studies www
This site provides a look at the work of the NCLIS and the Joint National Committee for Languages. Council for Languages and International Studies. The member organizations of NCLIS-JNCL are united in their belief that all Americans must have the opportunity to learn and use English and at least one other language. National Council for Languages and International Studies.
- Discusses Ten Common Fallacies about Bilingual Education www
Discusses commonly held misconceptions about bilingual education in the United States. Ten Common Fallacies about Bilingual Education.
- Student-run The Splooge www
Student-run online newspaper that encourages submissions from other students. The Splooge.
- Offers Scared Of School www
Offers information on school phobia, School, bullying, depression, and has support forums for students who are afraid of school. Scared Of School.
- Helps National Child Welfare Resource Center for Organizational Improvement www
Helps state, Child Welfare Resource Center for Organizational Improvement, county and tribal child welfare agencies improve management, measure outcomes, and make decisions that protect children. Toll-free number, publications, and programs. National Child Welfare Resource Center for Organizational Improvement.
- Focused Office for Children in Victoria www
Focused on the health, for Children in Victoria, safety, development, learning and wellbeing of children, young people and families in Victoria, Australia. Office for Children in Victoria.
- New Plaid's Out, Again, as Schools Give Up Requiring Uniforms www
New York Times article on the problems of requiring school uniforms overwhelming some schools, Out, Again, as Schools Give Up Requiring Uniforms, and they have decided to drop the requirements. [Requires free NYTimes.com registration to view.] Plaid's Out, Again, as Schools Give Up Requiring Uniforms.
- Review Effects of Student Uniforms on Attendance, Behavior Problems, Substance Use, and Academic Achievement www
Review of data and social theory questions if the school uniform may be a "placebo" that makes school boards feel better, Student Uniforms on Attendance, Behavior Problems, Substance Use, and Academic Achievement, and little else. From the University of Notre Dame. Effects of Student Uniforms on Attendance, Behavior Problems, Substance Use, and Academic Achievement.
- The FAIR - The Commercialization of Children's Public Television www
The 15-second announcements that bracket PBS kids' shows are growing increasingly commercial. The Commercialization of Children's Public Television. These "enhanced underwriter acknowledgments" are public broadcasters' solution to funding problems in the wake of reduced government support. But are they legal? Many underwriter advertisements seem to contradict communications law, Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations and even PBS's own guidelines. FAIR - The Commercialization of Children's Public Television.
- An Advertising / Commercial Ventures www
An annotated bibliography of resources (articles, Commercial Ventures, documents, and web pages) that deal with corporate involvement in K-12 schools. Compiled by an information specialist. Advertising / Commercial Ventures.
- Nonprofit, IGC - Institute for Global Communications www
Nonprofit, Institute for Global Communications, provides alternative sources of information, and comprehensive Internet services for progressive individuals and organizations. IGC - Institute for Global Communications.
- A MillionSoulsAware.org www
A not-for-profit project aiming to raise awareness of issues of concern. MillionSoulsAware.org. Once a million persons have read the current featured article, the site will cover another topic. MillionSoulsAware.org.
- Alexa: Education Issues
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Education Issues
- DMOZ: Education Issues
dmoz.org Directory: Education Issues