This section contains sites about disability controversies, issues, advocacy, discrimination, abuse, and legal topics. Disabilities Issues Society.
Disability is an impairment that may be physical, cognitive, intellectual, mental, sensory, developmental, or some combination of these that results in restrictions on an individual's ability to participate in what is considered "normal" in their everyday society. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: A disability is an impairment that may be cognitive, developmental, intellectual, mental, physical, sensory, or some combination of these. It substantially affects a person's life activities and may be present from birth or occur during a person's lifetime.
- Disability Category
- Frailty syndrome - Frailty is a common geriatric syndrome that embodies an elevated risk of catastrophic declines in health and function among older adults. Frailty is a condition associated with ageing, and it has been recognized for centuries.
- Physiological functional capacity - Physiological functional capacity is the ability to perform the physical tasks of daily life and the ease with which these tasks can be performed. PFC declines at some point with advancing age even in healthy adults, resulting in a reduced capacity to perform certain physical tasks.
- One-stop Disability.gov www
One-stop online access to resources, Disability.gov, services, and information available throughout the Federal government. Disability.gov.
- Selected Disability, Culture and Service Issues www
Selected bibliography of sources related to serving people with disabilities and disability culture. Disability, Culture and Service Issues.
- Committed Institute on Community Integration www
Committed to preventing and reducing the limiting effects of disabilities, Community Integration, ICI applies its resources to improve the quality and community orientation of professional services and social supports available to individuals with disabilities and their families. Institute on Community Integration.
- A But You Don't Look Sick? www
A collection of articles, You Don't Look Sick?, stories, book and product reviews, with health resources and a message board. But You Don't Look Sick?.
- Acts President's Committee for People With Intellectual Disabilities www
Acts in an advisory capacity to the President and the Secretary of The Department of Health and Human Services on matters relating to programs and services for persons with intellectual disabilities. President's Committee for People With Intellectual Disabilities.
- Petition Stigma and Discrimination www
Petition opposing NAMI approval of the Lunatix Online game which stereotypes people with mental illness and perpetuates stigma and discrimination. Stigma and Discrimination.
- News, Almanac of Policy Issues: Disability Issues www
News, Policy Issues: Disability Issues, background information and links on disability issues, including the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Developmental Disabilities Act (DDA). Almanac of Policy Issues: Disability Issues.
- How The Media Edge www
How to write opinion articles that editors will actually use. The Media Edge.
- Kathie Disability is Natural www
Kathie Snow's official website. Natural. Offers a new way of thinking (and talking) about disabled people, learning disabilities and physical and mental handicaps. Disability is Natural.
- An Thalidomide Victims Association of Canada www
An organization representing approximately 125 Canadians born disabled as a consequence of the drug Thalidomide. Victims Association of Canada. Site has position paper on the proposal to begin using the drug again. Thalidomide Victims Association of Canada.
- Article The Trigger, the Pen and the Switch www
Article on the killing of a woman thinking of moving her mother to a care facility. The Trigger, the Pen and the Switch.
- Discusses Beyond Abuse: Treatment Approaches for People with Disabilities www
Discusses the abuse of people with developmental disabilities and makes recommendations for assessment, Abuse: Treatment Approaches for People with Disabilities, intervention and treatment of those abused. Beyond Abuse: Treatment Approaches for People with Disabilities.
- A Children Injured by Restraint and Aversives (CIBRA) www
A national/international support network for parents whose children (including adult children) have been traumatized, Injured by Restraint and Aversives (CIBRA), injured or killed by abusive behavior modification (ABA) and restraint . Children Injured by Restraint and Aversives (CIBRA).
- Results Handicap Parking Survey www
Results of a 2004 survey in the USA. Handicap Parking Survey.
- Accessibility DisabilityGuide.org www
Accessibility reviews for the Washington D. DisabilityGuide.org.C. Metro area. DisabilityGuide.org.
- Personal LRM'S Place www
Personal web site of public policy analyst Laura Remson Mitchell. Place. Primary focus is on health-care reform and disability policy. Includes original articles and commentary as well as advocacy links. LRM'S Place.
- An Advocacy, Inc. www
An Austin, Inc., Texas based non profit organization that represents the disabled community, including special education. Advocacy, Inc..
- Articles The Sydney Morning Herald - Euthanasia Debate www
Articles about end-of-life choice campaigns and individuals who have hastened their deaths. The Sydney Morning Herald - Euthanasia Debate.
- A Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - Voluntary Euthanasia www
A comprehensive entry with background information on the issue. Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - Voluntary Euthanasia.
- UK Paradigm www
UK portal for learning disability news, Paradigm, policy, articles, links, and discussion. Information about Paradigm's courses and conferences. Paradigm.
- Tips MossRehab ResourceNet www
Tips on accessible travel, ResourceNet, factsheets on specific disabilities, information on the ADA, and disability news. MossRehab ResourceNet.
- Promoting Global Health Corps www
Promoting global health equity by connecting outstanding young leaders worldwide with organizations working on the frontlines. Health Corps. Includes information about the program and application process, FAQ, partners, current Fellows and blog. Global Health Corps.
- Interdisciplinary Case Western Reserve University - Program on Society and Health www
Interdisciplinary group which studies the impact of biomedical technology, Western Reserve University - Program on Society and Health, health policy, and demographic shifts on society. Mission statement, upcoming events, past events, future plans, and faculty listing. Case Western Reserve University - Program on Society and Health.
- A MillionSoulsAware.org www
A not-for-profit project aiming to raise awareness of issues of concern. MillionSoulsAware.org. Once a million persons have read the current featured article, the site will cover another topic. MillionSoulsAware.org.
- Library Speakout.com: Issues www
Library of online information and links related to (mostly U. Issues.S.) public policy issues. Formerly Policy.com. Speakout.com: Issues.
- Alexa: Disabilities Issues
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Disabilities Issues
- DMOZ: Disabilities Issues
dmoz.org Directory: Disabilities Issues