This section contains sites about disability controversies, issues, advocacy, discrimination, abuse, and legal topics. Disabilities Issues Society.
Disability is an impairment that may be physical, cognitive, intellectual, mental, sensory, developmental, or some combination of these that results in restrictions on an individual's ability to participate in what is considered "normal" in their everyday society. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Disability is an impairment that may be cognitive, developmental, intellectual, mental, physical, sensory, or some combination of these. It substantially affects a person's life activities and may be present from birth or occur during a person's lifetime.
- Disability Category
- Frailty syndrome - Frailty is a common geriatric syndrome that embodies an elevated risk of catastrophic declines in health and function among older adults. Frailty is a condition associated with ageing, and it has been recognized for centuries.
- Physiological functional capacity - Physiological functional capacity is the ability to perform the physical tasks of daily life and the ease with which these tasks can be performed. PFC declines at some point with advancing age even in healthy adults, resulting in a reduced capacity to perform certain physical tasks.
- Acts President's Committee for People With Intellectual Disabilities www
Acts in an advisory capacity to the President and the Secretary of The Department of Health and Human Services on matters relating to programs and services for persons with intellectual disabilities. President's Committee for People With Intellectual Disabilities.
- Committed Institute on Community Integration www
Committed to preventing and reducing the limiting effects of disabilities, Community Integration, ICI applies its resources to improve the quality and community orientation of professional services and social supports available to individuals with disabilities and their families. Institute on Community Integration.
- Kathie Disability is Natural www
Kathie Snow's official website. Natural. Offers a new way of thinking (and talking) about disabled people, learning disabilities and physical and mental handicaps. Disability is Natural.
- Article The Trigger, the Pen and the Switch www
Article on the killing of a woman thinking of moving her mother to a care facility. The Trigger, the Pen and the Switch.
- A But You Don't Look Sick? www
A collection of articles, You Don't Look Sick?, stories, book and product reviews, with health resources and a message board. But You Don't Look Sick?.
- Selected Disability, Culture and Service Issues www
Selected bibliography of sources related to serving people with disabilities and disability culture. Disability, Culture and Service Issues.
- News, Almanac of Policy Issues: Disability Issues www
News, Policy Issues: Disability Issues, background information and links on disability issues, including the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Developmental Disabilities Act (DDA). Almanac of Policy Issues: Disability Issues.
- Petition Stigma and Discrimination www
Petition opposing NAMI approval of the Lunatix Online game which stereotypes people with mental illness and perpetuates stigma and discrimination. Stigma and Discrimination.
- How The Media Edge www
How to write opinion articles that editors will actually use. The Media Edge.
- One-stop Disability.gov www
One-stop online access to resources, Disability.gov, services, and information available throughout the Federal government. Disability.gov.
- An Thalidomide Victims Association of Canada www
An organization representing approximately 125 Canadians born disabled as a consequence of the drug Thalidomide. Victims Association of Canada. Site has position paper on the proposal to begin using the drug again. Thalidomide Victims Association of Canada.
- Listings Disabled Abuse Resources www
Listings of and links to articles, Abuse Resources, agencies, organizations and websites to find help for and information about physical, sexual and mental abuse of disabled persons. Disabled Abuse Resources.
- Prevention, All Walks Of Life - Home of STOP the violence to people with disabilities - The Dangers www
Prevention, Walks Of Life - Home of STOP the violence to people with disabilities - The Dangers, response and research news on violence towards people with disabilities. All Walks Of Life - Home of STOP the violence to people with disabilities - The Dangers.
- Results Handicap Parking Survey www
Results of a 2004 survey in the USA. Handicap Parking Survey.
- Research, Global Initiative to Enfranchise People with Disabilities www
Research, Initiative to Enfranchise People with Disabilities, analysis, policy suggestions, best practices, and publications focusing on electoral access for people with disabilities. A project of the IFES. Global Initiative to Enfranchise People with Disabilities.
- About Bear's Society www
About a self advocate who is currently People First President in Ridgecrest, Society, California, making a difference. Bear's Society.
- Articles, Axis Disability Rights Website www
Articles, Disability Rights Website, videos, recommended readings on Disability Rights, Inclusive Education,Euthanasia, Abuse, Injustice and other related topics. Axis Disability Rights Website.
- A Euthanasia and Physician Assisted Suicide - All sides www
A thorough site with varying perspectives on the right to die, and Physician Assisted Suicide - All sides, public opinion polls, and religious beliefs about hastened dying. Euthanasia and Physician Assisted Suicide - All sides.
- A Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - Voluntary Euthanasia www
A comprehensive entry with background information on the issue. Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - Voluntary Euthanasia.
- A Special Needs Almanac www
A special needs resource covering medical issues, Needs Almanac, education, treatments and therapies and other information to those with a disability, their family and carers. Includes a list of support networks. Special Needs Almanac.
- Tips MossRehab ResourceNet www
Tips on accessible travel, ResourceNet, factsheets on specific disabilities, information on the ADA, and disability news. MossRehab ResourceNet.
- Interdisciplinary Case Western Reserve University - Program on Society and Health www
Interdisciplinary group which studies the impact of biomedical technology, Western Reserve University - Program on Society and Health, health policy, and demographic shifts on society. Mission statement, upcoming events, past events, future plans, and faculty listing. Case Western Reserve University - Program on Society and Health.
- Promotes HealthWatch UK www
Promotes the assessment and testing of treatments, UK, whether 'orthodox' or 'alternative'. HealthWatch UK.
- A MillionSoulsAware.org www
A not-for-profit project aiming to raise awareness of issues of concern. MillionSoulsAware.org. Once a million persons have read the current featured article, the site will cover another topic. MillionSoulsAware.org.
- Library Speakout.com: Issues www
Library of online information and links related to (mostly U. Issues.S.) public policy issues. Formerly Policy.com. Speakout.com: Issues.
- Alexa: Disabilities Issues
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Disabilities Issues
- DMOZ: Disabilities Issues
dmoz.org Directory: Disabilities Issues