This section contains sites about disability controversies, issues, advocacy, discrimination, abuse, and legal topics. Disabilities Issues Society.
Disability is an impairment that may be physical, cognitive, intellectual, mental, sensory, developmental, or some combination of these that results in restrictions on an individual's ability to participate in what is considered "normal" in their everyday society. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Disability is an impairment that may be cognitive, developmental, intellectual, mental, physical, sensory, or some combination of these. It substantially affects a person's life activities and may be present from birth or occur during a person's lifetime.
- Disability Category
- Frailty syndrome - Frailty is a common geriatric syndrome that embodies an elevated risk of catastrophic declines in health and function among older adults. Frailty is a condition associated with ageing, and it has been recognized for centuries.
- Physiological functional capacity - Physiological functional capacity is the ability to perform the physical tasks of daily life and the ease with which these tasks can be performed. PFC declines at some point with advancing age even in healthy adults, resulting in a reduced capacity to perform certain physical tasks.
- Acts President's Committee for People With Intellectual Disabilities www
Acts in an advisory capacity to the President and the Secretary of The Department of Health and Human Services on matters relating to programs and services for persons with intellectual disabilities. President's Committee for People With Intellectual Disabilities.
- A But You Don't Look Sick? www
A collection of articles, You Don't Look Sick?, stories, book and product reviews, with health resources and a message board. But You Don't Look Sick?.
- How The Media Edge www
How to write opinion articles that editors will actually use. The Media Edge.
- Committed Institute on Community Integration www
Committed to preventing and reducing the limiting effects of disabilities, Community Integration, ICI applies its resources to improve the quality and community orientation of professional services and social supports available to individuals with disabilities and their families. Institute on Community Integration.
- One-stop Disability.gov www
One-stop online access to resources, Disability.gov, services, and information available throughout the Federal government. Disability.gov.
- An Thalidomide Victims Association of Canada www
An organization representing approximately 125 Canadians born disabled as a consequence of the drug Thalidomide. Victims Association of Canada. Site has position paper on the proposal to begin using the drug again. Thalidomide Victims Association of Canada.
- Selected Disability, Culture and Service Issues www
Selected bibliography of sources related to serving people with disabilities and disability culture. Disability, Culture and Service Issues.
- News, Almanac of Policy Issues: Disability Issues www
News, Policy Issues: Disability Issues, background information and links on disability issues, including the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Developmental Disabilities Act (DDA). Almanac of Policy Issues: Disability Issues.
- Kathie Disability is Natural www
Kathie Snow's official website. Natural. Offers a new way of thinking (and talking) about disabled people, learning disabilities and physical and mental handicaps. Disability is Natural.
- Petition Stigma and Discrimination www
Petition opposing NAMI approval of the Lunatix Online game which stereotypes people with mental illness and perpetuates stigma and discrimination. Stigma and Discrimination.
- Article The Trigger, the Pen and the Switch www
Article on the killing of a woman thinking of moving her mother to a care facility. The Trigger, the Pen and the Switch.
- Articles Abuse and Women With Disabilities www
Articles on prevalence of abuse, and Women With Disabilities, guidelines for physicians, access to shelters, and intervention. Abuse and Women With Disabilities.
- Federally Disability, Abuse & Personal Rights www
Federally funded project for Disability, Abuse & Personal Rights, Abuse and Personal Rights education. Disability, Abuse & Personal Rights.
- Results Handicap Parking Survey www
Results of a 2004 survey in the USA. Handicap Parking Survey.
- Advocates It's Our Money, Too www
Advocates making paper money accessible to all Americans, Our Money, Too, including blind people and those who work in low-light settings. It's Our Money, Too.
- An Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates (COPAA) www
An independent, Parent Attorneys and Advocates (COPAA), nonprofit, tax-exempt organization of attorneys, advocates and parents established to improve the quality and quantity of legal assistance for parents of children with disabilities. Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates (COPAA).
- A Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund Inc. www
A national law and policy center dedicated to protecting and advancing the civil rights of people with disabilities through legislation, Rights Education and Defense Fund Inc., litigation, advocacy, technical assistance, and education and training of attorneys, advocates, persons with disabilities, and parents of children with disabilities. Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund Inc..
- Articles The Sydney Morning Herald - Euthanasia Debate www
Articles about end-of-life choice campaigns and individuals who have hastened their deaths. The Sydney Morning Herald - Euthanasia Debate.
- A Euthanasia and Physician Assisted Suicide - All sides www
A thorough site with varying perspectives on the right to die, and Physician Assisted Suicide - All sides, public opinion polls, and religious beliefs about hastened dying. Euthanasia and Physician Assisted Suicide - All sides.
- UK Paradigm www
UK portal for learning disability news, Paradigm, policy, articles, links, and discussion. Information about Paradigm's courses and conferences. Paradigm.
- A Special Needs Almanac www
A special needs resource covering medical issues, Needs Almanac, education, treatments and therapies and other information to those with a disability, their family and carers. Includes a list of support networks. Special Needs Almanac.
- Interdisciplinary Case Western Reserve University - Program on Society and Health www
Interdisciplinary group which studies the impact of biomedical technology, Western Reserve University - Program on Society and Health, health policy, and demographic shifts on society. Mission statement, upcoming events, past events, future plans, and faculty listing. Case Western Reserve University - Program on Society and Health.
- Promoting Global Health Corps www
Promoting global health equity by connecting outstanding young leaders worldwide with organizations working on the frontlines. Health Corps. Includes information about the program and application process, FAQ, partners, current Fellows and blog. Global Health Corps.
- A MillionSoulsAware.org www
A not-for-profit project aiming to raise awareness of issues of concern. MillionSoulsAware.org. Once a million persons have read the current featured article, the site will cover another topic. MillionSoulsAware.org.
- Nonprofit, IGC - Institute for Global Communications www
Nonprofit, Institute for Global Communications, provides alternative sources of information, and comprehensive Internet services for progressive individuals and organizations. IGC - Institute for Global Communications.
- Alexa: Disabilities Issues
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Disabilities Issues
- DMOZ: Disabilities Issues
dmoz.org Directory: Disabilities Issues