Sites in this section present discussion and-or information on agriculture issues. Agriculture Business Issues Society.
Agriculture is the cultivation of animals, plants and fungi for food, fiber, biofuel, medicinal plants and other products used to sustain and enhance human life. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Agriculture is the cultivation of land and breeding of animals and plants to provide food, fiber, medicinal plants and other products to sustain and enhance life. Agriculture was the key development in the rise of sedentary human civilization, whereby farming of domesticated species created food surpluses that enabled people to live in cities. The study of agriculture is known as agricultural science. The history of agriculture dates back thousands of years; people gathered wild grains at least 105,000 years ago, and began to plant them around 11,500 years ago, before they became domesticated. Pigs, sheep, and cattle were domesticated over 10,000 years ago. Crops originate from at least 11 regions of the world. Industrial agriculture based on large-scale monoculture has in the past century come to dominate agricultural output, though about 2 billion people worldwide still depend on subsistence agriculture.
- Agriculture Category
- Aeroponics - Aeroponics is the process of growing plants in an air or mist environment without the use of soil or an aggregate medium. The word "aeroponic" is derived from the Greek meanings of aer and ponos. Aeroponic culture differs from both conventional hydroponics, aquaponics, and in-vitro growing.
- Agricultural engineering - Agricultural Engineering is the engineering discipline that studies agricultural production and processing.
- Agricultural robot - An agricultural robot is a robot deployed for agricultural purposes. The main area of application of robots in agriculture today is at the harvesting stage.
- Agroecology - Agroecology is the study of ecological processes applied to agricultural production systems. The prefix ' refers to agriculture. Bringing ecological principles to bear in agroecosystems can suggest novel management approaches that would not otherwise be considered.
- Building-integrated agriculture - Building-integrated agriculture is the practice of locating high performance hydroponic greenhouse farming systems on and in mixed-use buildings to exploit synergies between the built environment and agriculture.
- Contract farming - Contract farming involves agricultural production being carried out on the basis of an agreement between the buyer and farm producers. Sometimes it involves the buyer specifying the quality required and the price, with the farmer agreeing to deliver at a future date.
- Food industry
- Criticism Don't Buy SFI www
Criticism of the Sustainable Forestry Initiative as a tool and a distraction developed by the larger players in the US forestry industry. Don't Buy SFI.
- Find farmsubsidy.org www
Find out who gets what from the European Union’s Common Agricultural Policy. farmsubsidy.org. This is a collaborative project bringing together journalists and activists from more than ten European countries. farmsubsidy.org.
- October World Farm Animals Day - WFAD www
October 2nd is a celebration to get people involved against factory farming. Farm Animals Day - WFAD. Page describes areas of concern regarding the treatment of domestic species as well as the negative impact of poor animal husbandry practices in rural areas. World Farm Animals Day - WFAD.
- The Farm Animal Welfare: the Power Struggle www
The struggle between the differing interests of consumers, Animal Welfare: the Power Struggle, farm animals, farmers, retailers, media, politicians, scientists, vegetarians and welfare campaigners. Farm Animal Welfare: the Power Struggle.
- Report Food Supply Situation & Crop Prospects in Sub-Saharan Africa www
Report of the Global Information and Early Warning System (GIEWS) that provides an assessment of the current food supply situation in sub-Saharan Africa. Supply Situation & Crop Prospects in Sub-Saharan Africa. Articles in PDF format. Food Supply Situation & Crop Prospects in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Describes Opinion: Devinder Sharma - Famine as commerce www
Describes and denounces attempts by richer and food exporting nations to use famines in other countries as a political weapon, Devinder Sharma - Famine as commerce, and to bolster their own agricultural industries. Opinion: Devinder Sharma - Famine as commerce.
- Working American Farmland Trust www
Working to stop the loss of productive farmland and promote healthier farming practices in the U. Farmland Trust.S. American Farmland Trust.
- Some Ecological Farming May Cause More Heavy Metals In The Soil www
Some systems of ecological arable farming which use only organic fertilisers contaminate the soil with levels of cadmium, Farming May Cause More Heavy Metals In The Soil, copper and lead which are twice as high as when a combination of both animal manure and artificial fertiliser is used. Ecological Farming May Cause More Heavy Metals In The Soil.
- Novartis Socio-Political Impact of Biotechnology in Developing Countries www
Novartis Foundation for Sustainable Development (NFSD): "food security in the developing countries must not come to depend on surpluses from the industrialised countries or, Impact of Biotechnology in Developing Countries, worse, food aid..." [Novartis is a biotechnology company] Socio-Political Impact of Biotechnology in Developing Countries.
- Mission Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy www
Mission is to create environmentally and economically sustainable rural communities through sound agriculture and trade policy. for Agriculture and Trade Policy. Includes ongoing campaigns to fight genetically engineered foods. Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy.
- By The war against hemp www
By Nina Willdorf, war against hemp, The Boston Phoenix. The war against hemp.
- Alternative Funded Research - USDA Record www
Alternative crops in North Dakota. Research - USDA Record. Among the study topics is : Assess the market potential for hemp production. Funded Research - USDA Record.
- Reflections undesign - a plan for all seasons www
Reflections on the wisdom of Tibor Kalman, a plan for all seasons, social responsibility, and a designer's role in the digital age. undesign - a plan for all seasons.
- Provides B Corporation www
Provides a framework and certification for companies wishing to benefit society as well as their shareholders. B Corporation.
- Alexa: Agriculture Business
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Agriculture Business
- DMOZ: Agriculture Business
dmoz.org Directory: Agriculture Business