The custom of setting aside a day to honor mothers can be traced all the way back to the days of Ancient Greece. In Victorian England, "Mothering Day" gave servants a day to go home and spend with their families. Today, people in different countries honor their mothers on different days. Since 1914, the second Sunday of May has been observed as Mother's Day in the U.S. Sites listed in this section should be suitable for visitors of all ages, but designed primarily for adult visitors. Sites provide material related to Mother's Day, including historical background, holiday stories and poems, graphics, and ideas for celebrating. Sites may also provide information for parents and teachers, such as suggested family activities and lesson plans. Mother's Day Holidays Society.
Mother’s Day is a celebration honoring the mother of the family, as well as motherhood, maternal bonds, and the influence of mothers in society. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Mother's Day is a celebration honoring the mother of the family, as well as motherhood, maternal bonds, and the influence of mothers in society. It is celebrated on various days in many parts of the world, most commonly in the months of March or May. It complements similar celebrations honoring family members, such as Father's Day, Siblings Day, and Grandparents Day.
- International Mother's Day Shrine - Andrews Methodist Episcopal Church, the "mother church" of Mother's Day, was incorporated as the International Mother's Day Shrine on May 15, 1962, as a shrine to all mothers.
- International Women's Day - International Women's Day, originally called International Working Women's Day, is celebrated on March 8 every year.
- May crowning - May Devotions to the Blessed Virgin Mary refers to special Marian devotions held in the Catholic Church during the month of May honoring the Virgin Mary as "the Queen of May". These services may take place inside or outside.
- Father's Day - Father's Day is a celebration honoring fathers and celebrating fatherhood, paternal bonds, and the influence of fathers in society. In Catholic Europe, it has been celebrated on March 19 since the Middle Ages.
- Public holidays in the Soviet Union
- Observances set by the Islamic calendar
- Observances set by the Vikram Samvat calendar
- Observances in the United States by presidential proclamation
- Monday observances
- Family member holidays
- Movable July observances
- Facts About Mother's Day: What You Need to Know www
Facts about the history of the observance, Mother's Day: What You Need to Know, from ancient holidays to the efforts of Julia Ward Howe and Anna Jarvis -- and how the founder of Mother's Day ended up arrested for trying to stop its overcommercialization. About Mother's Day: What You Need to Know.
- History, Mother's Day History www
History, Day History, quotes, poems, gift ideas, and kid crafts for Mothers Day. Mother's Day History.
- Contains Annie's Mother's Day Page www
Contains history, Mother's Day Page, links, and biblical information about the holiday. Annie's Mother's Day Page.
- A Mother's Day on the Net www
A web site dedicated to Mother's Day Mother's Day on the Net.
- Poetry Elaine's Mother's Day Page www
Poetry and quotes to the world's most noble profession. Elaine's Mother's Day Page.
- A American Catholic: Mother's Day www
A Catholic look at Mother's Day features articles, Catholic: Mother's Day, prayers, e-card, and information on the Virgin Mary. American Catholic: Mother's Day.
- Clip Kaboose: Clip Art & Icons www
Clip art for many major holidays and kid/educational topics. Kaboose: Clip Art & Icons.
- Original HolidayGraphics.com www
Original holiday graphics for personal use. HolidayGraphics.com.
- The Mother's Day and Peace www
The story of Julia Ward Howe's initiation of a Mother's Day for Peace. Mother's Day and Peace.
- Brief Albion, Michigan Historical Markers, Mother's Day www
Brief story about a historical marker commemorating Mother's Day in Albion, Michigan Historical Markers, Mother's Day, Michigan. Albion, Michigan Historical Markers, Mother's Day.
- Contains Elaine's Mother's Day Page www
Contains poems and quotes. Elaine's Mother's Day Page.
- Features Tribute to Mother www
Features tribute to motherhood and links to other sites. Tribute to Mother.
- A Tribute to Motherhood www
A tribute through famous quotations, Motherhood, poems, and verses. Tribute to Motherhood.
- Alexa: Mother's Day Holidays
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Mother's Day Holidays
- DMOZ: Mother's Day Holidays
dmoz.org Directory: Mother's Day Holidays