Constitution Day is a U.S. holiday observed September 17. It commemorates the Sept. 17, 1787, signing of the U.S. Constitution. Constitution Day was designated as a national holiday in 1994. The law that created the holiday also dicates that all U.S. schools receiving any federal funding must provide instruction directly related to the history of the U.S. Constitution on this day. When the holiday falls on a weekend, schools are encouraged to observe it on the adjoining school day. Constitution Day Holidays Society.
Constitution Day is a holiday to honor the constitution of a country. Constitution Day is often celebrated on the anniversary of the signing, promulgation or adoption of the constitution, or in some cases, to commemorate the change to constitutional monarchy : (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Constitution Day is a holiday to honor the constitution of a country. Constitution Day is often celebrated on the anniversary of the signing, promulgation or adoption of the constitution, or in some cases, to commemorate the change to constitutional monarchy.
- Fiestas Patrias – Homeland national holidays of Mexico.
- Public holiday - A public holiday, national holiday or legal holiday is a holiday generally established by law and is usually a non-working day during the year.
- National Day - A national day is a designated date on which celebrations mark the nationhood of a nation or non-sovereign country. This nationhood can be symbolized by the date of independence, of becoming a republic or a significant date for a patron saint or a ruler.
- Flag Day - A flag day is a flag-related holiday, a day designated for flying a certain flag or a day set aside to celebrate a historical event such as a nation's adoption of its flag.
- Republic Day - A Republic Day is the name of a holiday in several countries to commemorate the day when they became republics. In some countries, it is known as National Day or Proclamation Day, or by some other sort of name.
- Pledge Across America - The synchronized Pledge Across America is conducted each year on September 17th - Constitution Day. Pledge Across America is the nationally synchronized recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance in schools.
- Constitution days
- Types of national holidays
- Movable September observances
- July observances
- August observances
- Provides CQ Press In Context: Constitution Day www
Provides lesson plans and other educational resources for use in the high school or college classroom. CQ Press In Context: Constitution Day.
- Collection Center for Civic Education: Constitution Day www
Collection of downloadable lesson plans and audio files for kindergarten through high school. Center for Civic Education: Constitution Day.
- Article Constitution Day Stirs Debate Over Interpreting Founders' Intentions www
Article from The Daily Princetonian explores the controversy behind this holiday. Constitution Day Stirs Debate Over Interpreting Founders' Intentions.
- Three Scholastic News: Constitution Day www
Three projects from Scholastic help students write their own classroom constitution, News: Constitution Day, explore ways in which the U.S. Constitution is a living document, and determine whether various laws and actions are constitutional. Scholastic News: Constitution Day.
- News Schools to Observe "Constitution Day" www
News article discusses requirements set forth in the bill creating this event as well as the government's plans for enforcing the requirements. Schools to Observe "Constitution Day".
- Provides Celebrating Constitution Day at TheHolidayZone.com www
Provides printable worksheets, Constitution Day at TheHolidayZone.com, puzzles, coloring pages, discussion questions, writing prompts, and a vocabulary guide. Celebrating Constitution Day at TheHolidayZone.com.
- Resources Observing Constitution Day www
Resources for students and educators from the National Archives. Observing Constitution Day.
- Includes Constitution Day Resources from the Library of Congress www
Includes full text of various historical documents, Day Resources from the Library of Congress, lesson plans, stories for children, and book recommendations. Constitution Day Resources from the Library of Congress.
- An Education World Lesson Planning: Constitution Day www
An educator's guide to online resources, World Lesson Planning: Constitution Day, lesson plans, and activities. Education World Lesson Planning: Constitution Day.
- The Constitution Day www
The official site of the organization that lobbied for Constitution Day to be made a national holiday. Day. Includes a Constitution study guide with 200+ questions/answers. Constitution Day.
- Article Unconstitutional Constitution Day www
Article by law professor Kent Greenfield contends that requiring schools to provide specific instruction on specific days violates the First Amendment. Unconstitutional Constitution Day.
- A Pay No Attention to This Day www
A tongue-in-cheek article by Harry Browne that explores the meaning both of this holiday and of the document behind it. Pay No Attention to This Day.
- Alexa: Constitution Day Holidays
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Constitution Day Holidays
- DMOZ: Constitution Day Holidays
dmoz.org Directory: Constitution Day Holidays