Celebrated the second Monday of each October, Columbus Day commerates Columbus's Oct. 12, 1492 landing in the New World. Columbus Day is a legal holiday in the United States. It is celebrated as Día de la Raza in much of Latin America. Columbus Day Holidays Society.
Columbus Day is a national holiday in many countries in the Americas and elsewhere which officially celebrates the anniversary of Christopher Columbus ' arrival in and European discovery of the American Continent on October 12, 1492. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Columbus Day is a national holiday in many countries of the Americas and elsewhere which officially celebrates the anniversary of Christopher Columbus's arrival in the Americas on October 12, 1492. The landing is celebrated as "Columbus Day" in the United States, as "D a de la Raza" in some countries in Latin America, as "D a de la Hispanidad" and "Fiesta Nacional" in Spain, where it is also the religious festivity of la Virgen del Pilar, as D a de las Am ricas in Belize and Uruguay, as D a del Respeto a la Diversidad Cultural in Argentina, and as Giornata Nazionale di Cristoforo Colombo or Festa Nazionale di Cristoforo Colombo in Italy as well as in Little Italys around the world.
- Age of Discovery - The Age of Discovery, or the Age of Exploration is an informal and loosely defined term for the period in European history in which extensive overseas exploration emerged as a powerful factor in European culture and was the beginning of globalization.
- Indigenous Peoples' Day - Indigenous Peoples' Day is a holiday that celebrates the Indigenous peoples of America. It is celebrated across the United States, and is an official city and state holiday in various localities around the country.
- L'Anse aux Meadows - L'Anse aux Meadows is an archaeological site on the northernmost tip of the island of Newfoundland in the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador. Discovered in 1960, it is the most famous site of a Norse or Viking settlement in North America.
- Leif Erikson Day - Leif Erikson Day is an annual American observance which occurs on October 9. It honors Leif Erikson, the Norse explorer who led the first Europeans thought to have set foot in continental North America.
- UN Spanish Language Day - UN Spanish Language Day is observed annually on October 12. The event was established by the UNESCO in 2010 to seeking "to celebrate multilingualism and cultural diversity as well as to promote equal use of all six of its official working languages throughout the organization".
- World's Columbian Exposition - The World's Columbian Exposition was a world's fair held in Chicago in 1893 to celebrate the 400th anniversary of Christopher Columbus's arrival in the New World in 1492. The centerpiece of the Fair, the large water pool, represented the long voyage Columbus took to the New World.
- Federal holidays in the United States
- Monday observances
- Italian-American culture
- Christopher Columbus
- Brief Columbus Day (United States) www
Brief description relates the holiday's origin, Day (United States), tells how it is celebrated in the U.S., and lists other countries that observe it. Columbus Day (United States).
- Printable John's Word Search Puzzles: Columbus Day www
Printable word search includes terms related to Columbus's life. John's Word Search Puzzles: Columbus Day.
- Provides Columbus and Other Great Explorers www
Provides a short history of the man and the holiday which bears his name. and Other Great Explorers. Also includes information on other famous journeys and explorations. From Infoplease.com Columbus and Other Great Explorers.
- Offers Columbus Day Activities and Games www
Offers a variety of resources for the classroom teacher, Day Activities and Games, including stories, poems, a skit, coloring pages, and craft ideas. Columbus Day Activities and Games.
- Include Celebrating Columbus Day at The Holiday Zone www
Include history, Columbus Day at The Holiday Zone, printable worksheets and coloring pages, arts and crafts, poems, interactive puzzles, discussion topics, and language activities. Celebrating Columbus Day at The Holiday Zone.
- Offers Columbus Day www
Offers a history of the holiday along with printable crossword puzzles and word searches. Columbus Day.
- Columbus Dia de la Raza www
Columbus Day, la Raza, Native American Day and Dia de la Raza commemorate the exploration, colonization and multi-cultural and multi-ethnic heritage of the Americas. Dia de la Raza.
- Describes Indigenous Peoples Day www
Describes the event replacing Columbus Day in some parts of the United States and explains the rationale behind it. Indigenous Peoples Day.
- Lesson Lesson Plan - Columbus Day www
Lesson plan designed for use in the fourth or fifth grade classroom examines the Columbus Day holiday from a Native American perspective. Plan - Columbus Day. From the College of Education at Utah State University. Lesson Plan - Columbus Day.
- Information Columbus Day-Holiday Insights www
Information about Columbus Day with links to ecards, Day-Holiday Insights, games, and fun. Columbus Day-Holiday Insights.
- History Today in History: October 12 www
History and images related to Columbus Day. History: October 12. From the Library of Congress. Today in History: October 12.
- Provides Columbus Day from Rumela.com www
Provides the history, Day from Rumela.com, traditions, and facts of this holiday. Offers short biography of Christopher Columbus. Columbus Day from Rumela.com.
- Article Día de la Raza www
Article discusses Columbus Day in Costa Rica and explores how Columbus's discovery impacted the nation. Día de la Raza.
- Offers Dia de la Raza www
Offers historical facts and cultural information about this Latin American observance. Dia de la Raza.
- Selected Extracts from Columbus's Journal www
Selected passages from the journal of his voyage of 1492, from Columbus's Journal, from the Medieval Sourcebook. Extracts from Columbus's Journal.
- The Privileges and Prerogatives Granted by Their Catholic Majesties to Christopher Columbus www
The Avalon Project presents an English translation of the missive given to Columbus by Ferdinand and Elizabeth in 1492. Privileges and Prerogatives Granted by Their Catholic Majesties to Christopher Columbus.
- Editorial Goodbye Columbus! www
Editorial against a "racist Columbus legacy. Columbus!." Goodbye Columbus!.
- Online Abolish Columbus Day www
Online petition requesting that Congressional Representatives rename "Columbus Day" to "First Americans Day. Columbus Day." Abolish Columbus Day.
- Alexa: Columbus Day Holidays
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Columbus Day Holidays
- DMOZ: Columbus Day Holidays
dmoz.org Directory: Columbus Day Holidays