ANZAC Day is a public holiday commemorated on 25 April in Australia and New Zealand. It commemorates the World War I landing of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) on the Gallipoli (Gelibolu) Peninsula, Turkey on 25 April 1915. It is also a public holiday in Cook Islands, Niue, Samoa and Tonga, whose troops fought under New Zealand during World War I. Although the day originally commemorated the troops who landed at Gallipoli, it has since been expanded to commemorate all members of the armed forces involved in wars, armed conflicts and peacekeeping. Anzac Day Holidays Society.
Anzac Day / ˈ æ n z æ k / is a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand that broadly commemorates all Australians and New Zealanders "who served and died in all wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations" and "the contribution and suffering of all those who have served. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Anzac Day is a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand that broadly commemorates all Australians and New Zealanders "who served and died in all wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations" and "the contribution and suffering of all those who have served". Observed on 25 April each year, Anzac Day was originally to honour the members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps who fought at Gallipoli against the Ottoman Empire during World War I.
- ANZAC Field of Remembrance - The ANZAC Field of Remembrance is an annual event held at St. Andrew's Cathedral, Sydney, which is hosted by the War Widows' Guild of Australia NSW Ltd. The event involves the planting of wooden crosses in remembrance of those who have died due to their involvement in war.
- Memorial Day - Memorial Day or Decoration Day is a federal holiday in the United States for remembering the people who died while serving in the country's armed forces. The holiday, which is currently observed every year on the last Monday of May, was held on May 29, 2017.
- Alec Campbell , was the last living Australian ANZAC having served at Gallipoli.
- Gallipoli Campaign - The Gallipoli Campaign, also known as the Dardanelles Campaign, the Battle of Gallipoli, or the Battle of anakkale, was a campaign of the First World War that took place on the Gallipoli peninsula in the Ottoman Empire between 17 February 1915 and 9 January 1916.
- Royal New Zealand Returned and Services' Association - The Royal New Zealand Returned and Services' Association, often referred to as the Returned Services' Association but best known simply as the RSA, is one of the largest voluntary welfare organisations in New Zealand and one of the oldest ex-service organisations in the world.
- Military history of Australia - The military history of Australia spans the nation's 220-year modern history, from the early Australian frontier wars between Aboriginals and Europeans to the ongoing conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan in the early 21st century.
- Armed Forces days
- Public holidays in New Zealand
- Public holidays in Australia
- Observances honoring victims of war
- Australian War Memorial War Histories www
Includes five separate series of official war histories; one for each of the major conflicts in which Australia has been involved and one relating to more recent peace-keeping operations. War Memorial War Histories.
- ANZAC ANZAC Day images and photographs www
ANZAC Day parade images and photographs from around Australia. ANZAC Day images and photographs.
- An ANZAC Day www
An outline, Day, provided by the Governor-General of New Zealand, of the commemorative events. ANZAC Day.
- History, ANZAC Day www
History, Day, biographies and diaries, paintings, photographs, and maps, provided by the New Zealand Ministry for Culture and Heritage. ANZAC Day.
- A Anzac.govt.nz www
A New Zealand Government guide to ANZAC Day. Anzac.govt.nz. Covers the history of the day, traditions and rituals, how it is commemorated today and a guide to Gallipoli. Anzac.govt.nz.
- Committee ANZAC Day Commemoration Committee of Queensland www
Committee who oversee ANZAC Day events in Queensland. Day Commemoration Committee of Queensland. Includes detailed information about commemorative services, military history, classroom activities and a community billboard. ANZAC Day Commemoration Committee of Queensland.
- Victorian Review of ANZAC Day Laws www
Victorian Parliament review of ANZAC Day laws. ANZAC Day Laws. Includes a section on the history of the day in Australia. Review of ANZAC Day Laws.
- The ANZAC Day www
The history, Day, tradition and its significance for Australians. From the Australian War Memorial, the customs and traditions of commemorative ceremonies. ANZAC Day.
- Encyclopedia Wikipedia: ANZAC Day www
Encyclopedia article about ANZAC Day. ANZAC Day. Covers the origin and history of the day, as well as how it is commemorated in different parts of the world. Wikipedia: ANZAC Day.
- History Anne's Guiding Pages - ANZAC Day www
History from a New Zealand perspective, Guiding Pages - ANZAC Day, poems and quotes. As well as information on Anzac biscuits. Anne's Guiding Pages - ANZAC Day.
- Details ANZAC: A Grateful State Remembers www
Details of commemorative activities in Western Australian. Grateful State Remembers. History of the holiday, list of war memorials and student activities. ANZAC: A Grateful State Remembers.
- Concise Gallipoli Landings www
Concise account of the campaign, Landings, with quotations from several British participants and observers. Gallipoli Landings.
- Well Gallipoli: The Drama of the Dardanelles www
Well presented collection of information on the battle, The Drama of the Dardanelles, produced jointly by the (british) Imperial War Museum and the Australian War Memorial in 2000. Gallipoli: The Drama of the Dardanelles.
- Service Royal Australian Regiment www
Service in Vietnam by the Australian Infantry Battalions of the RAR. Australian Regiment. A report of the 9 Battalions, their weapons and equipment, their tours of duty and what it was like in the "Funny Country". Royal Australian Regiment.
- The The Commonwealth War Graves Commission www
The cemeteries, Commonwealth War Graves Commission, work memorials, horticulture, architecture and records of CWGC and the commemoration of members of the Commonwealth Armed Forces who died in the First and Second World Wars. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
- The Victor Company RNZIR 1967 www
The original V Company Royal New Zealand Infantry Regiment, Company RNZIR 1967, the first New Zealand infantry unit committed to Vietnam in 1967. Victor Company RNZIR 1967.
- Alexa: Anzac Day Holidays
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Anzac Day Holidays
- DMOZ: Anzac Day Holidays
dmoz.org Directory: Anzac Day Holidays