Covers the development of science within a regional, topical, social or political context. Many scientific discoveries were influenced or hindered by the political and cultural climate of the times. Science By Topic History Society.
Science :58 is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe. (wikipedia)
- Science A systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable...
- Social science A major category of academic disciplines, concerned with society and the relationships among...
- Natural science A branch of science concerned with the description, prediction, and understanding of natural...
- Branches of science The branches of science are commonly divided into three major groups...
- Science (album) The fourth album released by the Norwegian singer/songwriter Thomas Dybdahl.
- Science (journal) The peer-reviewed academic journal of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and...
- Science (TV channel) An American digital cable and satellite television network that is owned by Discovery...
- Isis www
Isis is the premier journal in the field. Isis. Site gives access to tables of contents and abstracts since Decemer 1995, and online access from the March 2002 issue onwards.
- Foster Office of NIH History www
Foster documentation, NIH History, preservation, and interpretation of the history of the National Institutes of Health. Features online exhibits, education, and historical resources. Office of NIH History.
- Timeline Who Invented the Thermometer? www
Timeline showing the development of the thermometer from Galileo to Kelvin. Invented the Thermometer?. Who Invented the Thermometer?.
- Complete A History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christendom www
Complete text of the 1896 classic by Andrew Dickson White. A History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christendom.
- Primary Internet Modern History Sourcebook: Scientific Revolution www
Primary sourcebook intended to serve the needs of teachers and students in college survey courses in modern European history and American history. Internet Modern History Sourcebook: Scientific Revolution.
- On Faith and Reason. www
On the historical interactions of science and religion. and Reason.. (From PBS.) Faith and Reason..
- The Institute and Museum of History of Science - Florence, Italy www
The museum and web site are particularly rich resources for the life and work of Galileo. Institute and Museum of History of Science - Florence, Italy.
- Information International Commission on History of Meteorology www
Information about the commission and about meetings discussion the history of meteorology. International Commission on History of Meteorology.
- History Daylight Saving Time www
History from Benjamin Franklin to the present. Saving Time. U.S. law and practice. Worldwide time change dates. Daylight Saving Time.
- Virtual Museum of Microscopy www
Virtual museum of microscopes, Microscopy, ranging from the earliest 16th century European instruments to modern microscopes from around the world. Museum of Microscopy.
- Independent Green Lion Press www
Independent book publisher specializing in history of mathematics and history of science. Lion Press. Includes information on ordering, books available, and how to contact them. Green Lion Press.
- Documents The Evolution of the Conservation Movement, 1850-1920 www
Documents the historical formation and cultural foundations of the movement to conserve and protect America's natural heritage. The Evolution of the Conservation Movement, 1850-1920.
- Information International Union of History and Philosophy of Science - Division of History of Science www
Information on the organization, Union of History and Philosophy of Science - Division of History of Science, together with a links page and listings of upcoming conferences. International Union of History and Philosophy of Science - Division of History of Science.
- A Birr Castle Demesne www
A science museum in Ireland devoted to the astronomical, Castle Demesne, engineering botantical and photographical work of the Parsons family. Birr Castle Demesne.
- Learn Ancient Greek Science www
Learn about the scientists of ancient Greece, Greek Science, what they have contributed to science, and information about their background. Ancient Greek Science.
- Library Museum of the History of Science, University of Oxford www
Library catalog, the History of Science, University of Oxford, image library, and numerous virtual exhibits available online. Museum of the History of Science, University of Oxford.
- Focus Islamic Alchemy in the Context of Islamic Science www
Focus on chemistry, Alchemy in the Context of Islamic Science, botany and medicine with overviews in other areas. Islamic Alchemy in the Context of Islamic Science.
- Annotated Echo Science and Technology Virtual Center www
Annotated catalogue of history of science, Science and Technology Virtual Center, technology, and medicine resources. Echo Science and Technology Virtual Center.
- Biographies Nobel e-Museum www
Biographies and Nobel Lectures of the prizewinners, e-Museum, from the Nobel Foundation. Nobel e-Museum.
- Memorializes Today in Science History www
Memorializes births and deaths of famous and not so famous scientists of the past, Science History, and other events in science history. Searchable. Today in Science History.
- Links Internet History of Science Sourcebook www
Links to documents and Web resources pertaining to the history of science including original texts from great scientific thinkers. Internet History of Science Sourcebook.
- Aims Australian Science Archives Project - ASAPWeb www
Aims to improve access to Australia's scientific, Science Archives Project - ASAPWeb, technological and medical heritage by helping to preserve records and artifacts and communicating the existence of this heritage to a wide audience. Includes scientist biographies. Australian Science Archives Project - ASAPWeb.
- Promote International Society for the History of Philosophy of Science - HOPOS www
Promote serious, Society for the History of Philosophy of Science - HOPOS, scholarly research on the history of the philosophy of science. Includes news and events. International Society for the History of Philosophy of Science - HOPOS.
- A Technology and Culture www
A quarterly scholarly journal dedicated to the historical study of technology in its relationships with society and culture. and Culture. Index and current issue table of contents. Technology and Culture.
- Discusses Ancient Greece: Science and Technology www
Discusses early inventions, Greece: Science and Technology, such as calculating devices, machines using gears, steam engines, war technology, and town planning. Some mathematicians included are Thales, Pythagoras, Euclid, Archimedes, and Appolonius. Some topical concepts covered are astronomical discoveries, prime numbers, evolution of the species, and measuring the circumference of the earth. Ancient Greece: Science and Technology.
- Online Epact: Scientific Instruments of Medieval and Renaissance Europe www
Online database of medieval and Renaissance scientific instruments made before 1600 A. Scientific Instruments of Medieval and Renaissance Europe.D. held at four European museums. Epact: Scientific Instruments of Medieval and Renaissance Europe.
- Publishes University of Massachusetts Amherst: Social and Demographic Research Institute (SADRI) www
Publishes the journal Social Science History, Massachusetts Amherst: Social and Demographic Research Institute (SADRI), which reports its interdisciplinary research findings. Includes related association links. University of Massachusetts Amherst: Social and Demographic Research Institute (SADRI).
- Book History of Science www
Book reviews from The Bactra Review. History of Science.
- Neil Events in Science, Mathematics and Technology www
Neil Brandt's timeline covers historic highlights from classical mechanics, Science, Mathematics and Technology, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, astronomy, cosmology, mathematics, and technology. Events in Science, Mathematics and Technology.
- Presents A Science Odyssey www
Presents the people and the discoveries of 20th century science and technology in a variety of accessible, Science Odyssey, and interactive Web features. Based on the PBS television series. A Science Odyssey.
- Virtual History of Russian Science www
Virtual guide which includes article archives, Russian Science, bibliography, journals, institutiona and news. History of Russian Science.
- Long The History and Philosophy of Science, Technology and Medicine www
Long list of internet resources in the field of the history of science. The History and Philosophy of Science, Technology and Medicine.
- A History of Evolutionary Thought www
A timeline with information on major contributors to biology, Evolutionary Thought, geology, and paleontology from Aristotle up to the 20th century. From the UC Berkeley Museum of Paleontology. History of Evolutionary Thought.
- Carl Some Early Microscopes from the Optical Institute in Wetzlar www
Carl Kellner founded what was named the Optical Institute in Wetzlar Germany in 1849. Early Microscopes from the Optical Institute in Wetzlar. By 1851 he employed twelve workmen and was producing his first microscopes. Some Early Microscopes from the Optical Institute in Wetzlar.
- Several Science and You www
Several articles, and You, mostly on history and philosophy of science, aimed at a lay audience. Science and You.
- Science Victorian Science www
Science in the 19th century. Science. Overview plus much specific information on themes, disciplines, and individuals. Victorian Science.
- Archives Darwin-L Archives on the Historical Sciences www
Archives of messages and supporting materials from this professional discussion group on the history and theory of the historical sciences. Darwin-L Archives on the Historical Sciences.
- BBC In Our Time: Science Archive www
BBC Radio 4 series in which Sir Melvyn Bragg discusses a topic in the history of ideas with a trio of experts. Our Time: Science Archive. This page indexes the discussions on science, both historical and contemporary, for online listening. In Our Time: Science Archive.
- Historical Muslim Scientists, Mathematicians and Astronomers Before European Renaissance, 700-1500 C.E. www
Historical review of the Muslim contribution to humanity and Islamic Civilization. Scientists, Mathematicians and Astronomers Before European Renaissance, 700-1500 C.E.. Gives biographies of scientists and describes their contributions and influence on European thought and discoveries. Muslim Scientists, Mathematicians and Astronomers Before European Renaissance, 700-1500 C.E..
- Lisa Britain and the Rise of Science www
Lisa Jardine investigates the origins of the commitment to science as the firm basis for Britain's success in commerce and industry. and the Rise of Science. From the BBC. Britain and the Rise of Science.
- Sodium History of Salt www
Sodium chloride around the world in history from ancient to the 18th century. Salt. Includes resource links. From the Salt Institute. History of Salt.
- History H-Net Child www
History of Childhood and Youth H-Net Child.
- Comprehensive The Alchemy Web Site www
Comprehensive library of imagery, Alchemy Web Site, symbols, music, alchemical texts and commentary. Includes course material in practical alchemy, bibliography, and modern day resources. The Alchemy Web Site.
- Facsimile Commentary on the Effects of Electricity on Muscular Motion www
Facsimile of Galvani's original and an English translation. Commentary on the Effects of Electricity on Muscular Motion.
- Reviews, Reviews of History of Science books www
Reviews, History of Science books, by Danny Yee, of a range of books on the history of science, mostly popular titles. Reviews of History of Science books.
- Report Science and Engineering Indicators 2004 www
Report by the National Science Board and National Science Foundation on U. and Engineering Indicators 2004.S. science and technology, including education and research and development, from World War II to the end of the 20th century. Science and Engineering Indicators 2004.
- History Calendars Through the Ages www
History and FAQs of various calendars, Through the Ages, including Julian, Gregorian, Jewish, Islamic, Chinese, and Mayan. Astronomy, years, months, and days of the week. Calendars Through the Ages.
- Women's 4000 Years of Women in Science www
Women's contributions to Science, Years of Women in Science, from Antiquity to the Nineteenth Century. 4000 Years of Women in Science.
- A Science Timeline www
A chronology from the 7th millennium BC to the present day, Timeline, with brief explanations of events in the history of western natural philosophy and sciences. Science Timeline.
- Timeline A Science and Technology Odyssey www
Timeline of the history of science and technology from 20, Science and Technology Odyssey,000 BC to 1800. A Science and Technology Odyssey.
- The Totalizator History www
The history of the invention of the world's first automatic totalizator in 1913 and its subsequent development. History. Mechanical computing on a commercial scale. Totalizator History.
- Possibly Hook Norton Brewery Steam Engine www
Possibly the last working steam engine in the world. Norton Brewery Steam Engine. Is used to power the brewery in a town in the UK. Page gives short history, specifications and tasks accomplished by this antique machinery. Hook Norton Brewery Steam Engine.
- A The Great Devonian Controversy www
A review of the book by Martin Rudwick about this 19th century geological controversy. The Great Devonian Controversy.
- Web GSA History of Geology Division www
Web site includes organization information, History of Geology Division, as well as several papers on important geologists and their work. GSA History of Geology Division.
- Author Sharon Bertsch McGrayne www
Author of several popular books on science and science history. Sharon Bertsch McGrayne.
- Founded Sarton, George (1884-1956) www
Founded the History of Science journals "Isis" and "Osiris, George (1884-1956)," and played a leading role of the establishment of the field as an academic discipline. Sarton, George (1884-1956).
- A History of Philosophy www
A very large, Philosophy, diverse collection of essays addressing many philosophical, historical, scientific, religious, economic, legal, and political issues. Edited by Kelley L. Ross. History of Philosophy.
- A History of Philosophy www
A survey of the history of Western philosophy, Philosophy, by Garth Kemerling at philosophypages.com. History of Philosophy.
- Contact Mexican Society for the History of Science and Technology www
Contact information and conference announcements in English and Spanish. Mexican Society for the History of Science and Technology.
- Located Max Planck Institute for the History of Science www
Located in Berlin, Planck Institute for the History of Science, Germany. Publications and preprints, online primary sources, information about the institute, and links. Max Planck Institute for the History of Science.
- A Historical Studies in the Natural Sciences www
A journal that chronicles the history of science as it has developed since the 17th century. Studies in the Natural Sciences. Tables of contents from vol.25 (1994). Full text free to print subscribers or pay-per-view. Historical Studies in the Natural Sciences.
- Alexa: Science By Topic
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Science By Topic
- DMOZ: Science By Topic
dmoz.org Directory: Science By Topic