Contains sites with military related genealogy content, including troop rosters and service records. Military Genealogy Society.
The military, also called the armed forces , are forces authorized to use deadly force, and weapons, to support the interests of the state and some or all of its citizens. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: A military is a force authorized to use lethal or deadly force and weapons to support the interests of the state and some or all of its citizens. It typically consists of an Army, Navy, Air Force, and in certain countries the Marines and Coast Guard. The task of the military is usually defined as defence of the state, and its citizens, and the prosecution of war against another state. The military may also have additional sanctioned and non-sanctioned functions within a society, including, the promotion of a political agenda, protecting corporate economic interests, internal population control, construction, emergency services, social ceremonies, and guarding important areas. The military may also function as a discrete subculture within a larger civil society, through the development of separate infrastructures, which may include housing, schools, utilities, logistics, health and medical, law, food production, finance and banking.
- Military Category
- Deterrence theory - Deterrence theory gained increased prominence as a military strategy during the Cold War with regard to the use of nuclear weapons.
- Mercenary - A mercenary is a person who takes part in an armed conflict, is completely funded by the government, and is "motivated to take part in the hostilities by desire for private gain". Mercenaries fight for money or other recompense rather than for political interests.
- Military personnel - Military personnel are members of the state's armed forces. Their roles, pay, and obligations differ according to their military branch, rank, and their military task when deployed on operations and on exercise.
- Recruit training - Recruit training, more commonly known as basic training or colloquially boot camp, refers to the initial instruction of new military personnel. Recruit training is a physically and psychologically intensive process, which resocializes its subjects for the demands of military employment.
- Military service - Military service is service by an individual or group in an army or other militia, whether as a chosen job or as a result of an involuntary draft.
- Conscription - Conscription, sometimes called the draft, is the compulsory enlistment of people in a national service, most often a military service. Conscription dates back to antiquity and continues in some countries to the present day under various names.
- Government institutions
- International security
- National security
- A Researching a Spanish American War Veteran www
A primer of methods for genealogical research of Spanish American War Veterans. Spanish American War Veteran. Includes troop rosters, links and how-to advice. Researching a Spanish American War Veteran.
- Comprehensive Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System www
Comprehensive research tool for searching the records of the soldiers and sailors who fought in the Civil War. Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System.
- Search Korean War Databases www
Search for Korean War casualties. War Databases. Supplies the branch of the military, cause of death, date of death and other useful information. Korean War Databases.
- A 2nd Texas Cavalry Company K - 2nd Texas Mounted Rifles www
A project to gather history of the men that served and information on this unit. Texas Cavalry Company K - 2nd Texas Mounted Rifles. Includes, roster and history of the men and unit. 2nd Texas Cavalry Company K - 2nd Texas Mounted Rifles.
- Searchable Pennsylvania Volunteers of the Civil War www
Searchable Pennsylvania rosters, Volunteers of the Civil War, pension rolls, and histories with hints to find Civil War ancestors. Pennsylvania Volunteers of the Civil War.
- Genealogical My Families at Antietam www
Genealogical research site dedicated to researching those families that had homestead on or near the U. Families at Antietam.S. Civil War Battle of Antietam. Includes links to family and other related sites. My Families at Antietam.
- Part A History of The War of 1812 in Illinois www
Part of the Illinois Trails History and Genealogy Project. History of The War of 1812 in Illinois. Includes history, maps, correspondence, and rosters. A History of The War of 1812 in Illinois.
- Features Cyndi's List - Military Resources Worldwide www
Features links to general military resource sites. Cyndi's List - Military Resources Worldwide.
- Use Ancestor Search: US Military Records www
Use this guide to determine if your ancestor served in the military and learn how to send away to the proper repository for his military service and pension records. Ancestor Search: US Military Records.
- Searchable Pennsylvania Volunteers of the Spanish-American War www
Searchable rosters of the PA Spanish American War soldiers. Volunteers of the Spanish-American War. Learn how to locate your Spanish American War ancestor and order his military service and pension records from NARA. Pennsylvania Volunteers of the Spanish-American War.
- Links US Military Resource Center www
Links to information and records for the US military researcher. US Military Resource Center.
- The Burial Locations www
The U. Locations.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) National Cemetery Administration can provide limited burial location assistance to family members and close friends of decedents thought to be buried in a VA national cemetery. Burial Locations.
- Names Confederate Records www
Names of Confederate soldiers from 15 states, Records, soldiers paroled at Vicksburg, soldiers from unknown counties and memoirs. Confederate Records.
- Military, Military Global www
Military, Global, Defence and Strategic Affairs News, Forums and Gallery Military Global.
- Chuck Gecko Country www
Chuck "Doc" Lane's portal to military information, Country, primarily aimed at the veteran and military community but also including military graphics, personal memories, information on MIAs, poems and useful links. Gecko Country.
- Searchable Clash of Steel www
Searchable database of military engagements throughout history. Steel. Also picture gallery and discussion forum. Clash of Steel.
- Devoted Society for Military History www
Devoted to stimulating and advancing the study of military history in the United States. for Military History. Site describes publications, membership information, conferences, leadership, and SMH-sponsored awards and prizes. Society for Military History.
- Alexa: Military Genealogy
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Military Genealogy
- DMOZ: Military Genealogy
dmoz.org Directory: Military Genealogy