Human Extinction Catastrophes Future Society.
In the near future, anthropogenic extinction scenarios have been proposed: global nuclear annihilation, dysgenics, overpopulation, biological warfare or an accidental pandemic, ecological collapse, and global warming; in addition, emerging technologies could bring about new extinction scenarios, such as advanced artificial intelligence, biotechnology or self-replicating nanobots. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: In futures studies, human extinction is the hypothetical end of the human species. This may result from natural causes or it may be anthropogenic, i.e. the result of human action.
- Human extinction Category
- Doomsday argument - The Doomsday argument is a probabilistic argument that claims to predict the number of future members of the human species given an estimate of the total number of humans born so far.
- Ecocide - Ecocide, or ecocatastrophe, is the extensive damage to, destruction of or loss of ecosystem of a given territory, whether by human agency or by other, to such an extent that peaceful enjoyment by the inhabitants of that territory has been or will be severely diminished.
- End time - The end time is a future time-period described variously in the eschatologies of several world religions, which believe that world events will achieve a final climax.
- Extinction event - An extinction event is a widespread and rapid decrease in the biodiversity on Earth. Such an event is identified by a sharp change in the diversity and abundance of multicellular organisms. It occurs when the rate of extinction increases with respect to the rate of speciation.
- Global catastrophic risks - A global catastrophic risk is a hypothetical future event which could damage human well-being on a global scale, even crippling or destroying modern civilization. An event that could cause human extinction or permanently and drastically curtail humanity's potential is known as an existential risk.
- Great Filter - The Great Filter, in the context of the Fermi paradox, is whatever prevents "dead matter" from giving rise, in time, to "expanding lasting life".
- The The Universal Extinction Constant www
The site author, Universal Extinction Constant, Alan J Bessant, introduces his thesis and promotes understanding of the Universal Extinction Constant and Extinction Threat Level. The Universal Extinction Constant.
- Subtitled Beyond the Holocaust - Survival or Extinction? www
Subtitled "A survival manual for humanity", the Holocaust - Survival or Extinction?, this online book attempts to summarise problems threatening humanity's very survival, their causes and possible solutions to them. Beyond the Holocaust - Survival or Extinction?.
- Nonprofit The Lifeboat Foundation www
Nonprofit organization dedicated to encouraging scientific advancements to help humanity survive existential risks and possible misuse of increasingly powerful technologies. The Lifeboat Foundation.
- Paper Existential Risks www
Paper by Nick Bostrom, Risks, analyzing well-known and less well-known extinction risks and related crippling hazards to humanity. Existential Risks.
- by Book: The End of the World - The Science and Ethics of Human Extinction www
by Prof. The End of the World - The Science and Ethics of Human Extinction. John Leslie. The first comprehensive survey of potential catastrophes speculated upon by scientists, from comet and asteroid impacts to nuclear or chemical warfare, from ozone layer destruction to overpopulation and poisoning of the environment or the risk of disaster through genetic engineering. Also covers philosophy and ethics. 1996 Book: The End of the World - The Science and Ethics of Human Extinction.
- Thoughts Musing on Beginning and End www
Thoughts on the enormity of the cosmos and the life cycle of civilizations, Beginning and End, including our own. Musing on Beginning and End.
- The The Future Watch www
The site intended to prevent the cataclysmic end-of-the-world scenarios caused by advancing technology. Future Watch. Articles, news and media references. The Future Watch.
- Glenn Wait a Nano Second... www
Glenn Reynolds argues that attempting to prevent technological catastrophes by restricting research will only backfire. Wait a Nano Second....
- A Complexity and Being at the Mercy of Machines www
A response to the recent feature "Why the future doesn't need us" by Bill Joy, and Being at the Mercy of Machines, of Sun Microsystems. Complexity and Being at the Mercy of Machines.
- Notes, Armageddon Online www
Notes, Online, news and links on destructive forces of the universe from volcanoes, tsunamis, plagues and nuclear weapons on Earth to stars collapsing and exploding into hypernovae across the galaxy. Armageddon Online.
- This Possible Future Global Catastrophes www
This survey considers earthquake, Future Global Catastrophes, pandemic, alien aggression, interplanetary impact, supernova, ice age, nuclear catastrophe, bioterror, and nanotech robot aggression. Possible Future Global Catastrophes.
- Alexa: Human Extinction Catastrophes
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Human Extinction Catastrophes
- DMOZ: Human Extinction Catastrophes
dmoz.org Directory: Human Extinction Catastrophes