The traditional beliefs, legends, customs, proverbs, riddles, music, dance, stories, and other lore of various cultures which were passed down orally from person to person through the ages. Folklore Society.
Folklore is traditional art, literature, knowledge, and practices that are passed on in large part through oral communication and example. (wikipedia)
- Folklore Folklore is traditional art, literature, knowledge, and practices that are passed on in large...
- Folklore (video game) An action role-playing video game developed by Game Republic and published by Sony Computer...
- Folklore (Nelly Furtado album) The second studio album by Canadian singer-songwriter Nelly Furtado.
- Folklore (journal) The Folklore Society was founded in London, England in 1878 to study traditional vernacular...
- Folklore (horse) A retired American Thoroughbred racing filly.
- Folklore (16 Horsepower album) The 4th studio album by 16 Horsepower, released in 2002.
- Mathematical folklore The body of theorems, definitions, proofs, or mathematical facts or techniques that circulate...
- Myths, The Folklore of the Isle of Man www
Myths, Folklore of the Isle of Man, legends, superstitions, customs and proverbs, by A. W. Moore (1891), e-text from a Manx Note Book. The Folklore of the Isle of Man.
- Definitions New York Folklore Society www
Definitions of folklore and the related terms folklife and folk arts. New York Folklore Society.
- Article Paganism in British Folk Customs by Bob Trubshaw www
Article that contrasts the true remains of Pagan origins in the folk customs of England with those customs created or exaggerated through "paganisation" by Victorian romantic authors. Paganism in British Folk Customs by Bob Trubshaw.
- Encyclopedic Lucky W Amulet Archive www
Encyclopedic resource describing and illustrating folkloric talismans and lucky charms from around the world, Amulet Archive, including horseshoe, swastika, four-leaf clover, rabbit foot, raccoon penis bone, hamsa hand, John the Conqueror root, scarab beetle, and black cat bone. Lucky W Amulet Archive.
- Folklore D. L. Ashliman www
Folklore researcher, Ashliman, providing extensive resources on Germanic myths, legends and sagas, and Indo-European folk and fairy tales. D. L. Ashliman.
- Essays Basque Folklore www
Essays and links. Basque Folklore.
- A British Columbia Folklore Society www
A definition and explanation of folklore, Columbia Folklore Society, with examples. British Columbia Folklore Society.
- Wolfgang Archer Taylor www
Wolfgang Mieder's biographical sketch of the University of California Professor of Folklore Archer Taylor, Taylor, and his work as a paremiologist - collector of proverbs. Archer Taylor.
- Focuses Smithsonian Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage www
Focuses on contemporary grassroots cultures. Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage. Festival information, recordings, events, and resources. Smithsonian Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage.
- A Journal of Folklore Research www
A peer-reviewed publication of the Folklore Institute at Indiana University, Folklore Research, established in 1965. Journal of Folklore Research.
- Journal Pro Ethnologia www
Journal of the Estonian National Museum, Ethnologia, publishing short articles on ethnographical issues. Content in Estonian and English. Pro Ethnologia.
- Article At the Edge: The Cosmic Mill www
Article by Alby Stone discussing the hand-mill as an image of the cosmos. At the Edge: The Cosmic Mill.
- E-text Folk Beliefs in Modern Japan www
E-text of the book edited by Inoue Nobutaka, Beliefs in Modern Japan, Institute for Japanese Culture and Classics, Kokugakuin University. Folk Beliefs in Modern Japan.
- A Superstitions Around the World www
A compilation of superstitions and taboos around from variety of cultures. Superstitions Around the World.
- Collected Visions and Beliefs in the West of Ireland www
Collected and arranged by Lady Augusta Gregory (1920), and Beliefs in the West of Ireland, e-text from the Internet Sacred Text Archive. Visions and Beliefs in the West of Ireland.
- English-language Folklore: an Online Electronic Journal www
English-language archives of an informative Baltic Folklore journal published by the Folk Belief and Media Group of the Estonian Literary Museum. Online Electronic Journal. Material about Estonian shamanism, urban legends, ethnomusicology, popular calendar data, and general folk belief. Folklore: an Online Electronic Journal.
- Created American Folklife Center, Library of Congress www
Created by Congress in 1976 "to preserve and present American Folklife, Folklife Center, Library of Congress," the Center incorporates the Archive of Folk Culture, established at the Library in 1928 as a repository for American Folk Music. American Folklife Center, Library of Congress.
- Hosts Archives of Folklore Discussion List www
Hosts a complete month-by-month record of all the posts made to the discussion-list, Folklore Discussion List, from 1990 to the present. Archives of Folklore Discussion List.
- One Milman Parry Collection of Oral Literature www
One of the largest repositories of South Slavic heroic song; located at Widener Library, Parry Collection of Oral Literature, Harvard University; online exhibition of photos, song transcriptions, and video. Milman Parry Collection of Oral Literature.
- Home Fife Folklore Archives www
Home to Utah State University's graduate Folklore Program. Folklore Archives. Catalog of resources including audio and manuscript. Fife Folklore Archives.
- American Deadly Superstitions www
American folk beliefs about death and burial; part of the extensive Tombstone Traveller's Guide to American cemeteries and funeral practices. Deadly Superstitions.
- Death Death: Burial Customs and Beliefs www
Death customs and beliefs in various regions and countries of the world. Death: Burial Customs and Beliefs.
- Article At the Edge Archive: Turf Labyrinths www
Article by Marilyn Clark describing Britain's eight remaining turf labyrinths and two former ones, the Edge Archive: Turf Labyrinths, with pictures. At the Edge Archive: Turf Labyrinths.
- Collection Changeling Legends from the British Isles www
Collection of this type of legends, Legends from the British Isles, with source data provided. Changeling Legends from the British Isles.
- Online Folklore www
Online course materials by Mary Magoulick, Folklore, Georgia College and State University. Folklore.
- Discussing Small Forms of Verbal Folklore www
Discussing several minor forms such as proverbs, Forms of Verbal Folklore, riddles, oaths and calls, with examples from Lithuanian folklore. Small Forms of Verbal Folklore.
- A The Arcane Archive www
A cache of usenet and other text files pertaining to occult, Arcane Archive, mystical, and spiritual subjects. The Arcane Archive.
- Legends Maneki Neko - The Beckoning Cat www
Legends of the Japanese lucky cat and why statues of it are used by shop-keepers to draw in customers. Maneki Neko - The Beckoning Cat.
- Dedicated National Council for the Traditional Arts www
Dedicated to the preservation and documentation of traditional arts in the United States through festivals, Council for the Traditional Arts, tours, concerts, public radio, television programs and films. National Council for the Traditional Arts.
- Aims Turkish Folklore Association www
Aims to keep Turkish folklore alive through scientific research, Folklore Association, and passing knowledge of the traditions on to the younger generations in music and dance schools. Turkish Folklore Association.
- Alexa: Folklore Society
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Folklore Society
- DMOZ: Folklore Society
dmoz.org Directory: Folklore Society