The traditional beliefs, legends, customs, proverbs, riddles, music, dance, stories, and other lore of various cultures which were passed down orally from person to person through the ages. Folklore Society.
Folklore is traditional art, literature, knowledge, and practices that are passed on in large part through oral communication and example. (wikipedia)
- Folklore Folklore is traditional art, literature, knowledge, and practices that are passed on in large...
- Folklore (video game) An action role-playing video game developed by Game Republic and published by Sony Computer...
- Folklore (Nelly Furtado album) The second studio album by Canadian singer-songwriter Nelly Furtado.
- Folklore (journal) The Folklore Society was founded in London, England in 1878 to study traditional vernacular...
- Folklore (horse) A retired American Thoroughbred racing filly.
- Folklore (16 Horsepower album) The 4th studio album by 16 Horsepower, released in 2002.
- Mathematical folklore The body of theorems, definitions, proofs, or mathematical facts or techniques that circulate...
- Article Paganism in British Folk Customs by Bob Trubshaw www
Article that contrasts the true remains of Pagan origins in the folk customs of England with those customs created or exaggerated through "paganisation" by Victorian romantic authors. Paganism in British Folk Customs by Bob Trubshaw.
- A Superstitions Around the World www
A compilation of superstitions and taboos around from variety of cultures. Superstitions Around the World.
- Article At the Edge: The Cosmic Mill www
Article by Alby Stone discussing the hand-mill as an image of the cosmos. At the Edge: The Cosmic Mill.
- Focuses Smithsonian Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage www
Focuses on contemporary grassroots cultures. Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage. Festival information, recordings, events, and resources. Smithsonian Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage.
- A British Columbia Folklore Society www
A definition and explanation of folklore, Columbia Folklore Society, with examples. British Columbia Folklore Society.
- Journal Pro Ethnologia www
Journal of the Estonian National Museum, Ethnologia, publishing short articles on ethnographical issues. Content in Estonian and English. Pro Ethnologia.
- Hosts Archives of Folklore Discussion List www
Hosts a complete month-by-month record of all the posts made to the discussion-list, Folklore Discussion List, from 1990 to the present. Archives of Folklore Discussion List.
- Essays Basque Folklore www
Essays and links. Basque Folklore.
- Wolfgang Archer Taylor www
Wolfgang Mieder's biographical sketch of the University of California Professor of Folklore Archer Taylor, Taylor, and his work as a paremiologist - collector of proverbs. Archer Taylor.
- Created American Folklife Center, Library of Congress www
Created by Congress in 1976 "to preserve and present American Folklife, Folklife Center, Library of Congress," the Center incorporates the Archive of Folk Culture, established at the Library in 1928 as a repository for American Folk Music. American Folklife Center, Library of Congress.
- E-text Folk Beliefs in Modern Japan www
E-text of the book edited by Inoue Nobutaka, Beliefs in Modern Japan, Institute for Japanese Culture and Classics, Kokugakuin University. Folk Beliefs in Modern Japan.
- English-language Folklore: an Online Electronic Journal www
English-language archives of an informative Baltic Folklore journal published by the Folk Belief and Media Group of the Estonian Literary Museum. Online Electronic Journal. Material about Estonian shamanism, urban legends, ethnomusicology, popular calendar data, and general folk belief. Folklore: an Online Electronic Journal.
- A Journal of Folklore Research www
A peer-reviewed publication of the Folklore Institute at Indiana University, Folklore Research, established in 1965. Journal of Folklore Research.
- Definitions New York Folklore Society www
Definitions of folklore and the related terms folklife and folk arts. New York Folklore Society.
- Collected Visions and Beliefs in the West of Ireland www
Collected and arranged by Lady Augusta Gregory (1920), and Beliefs in the West of Ireland, e-text from the Internet Sacred Text Archive. Visions and Beliefs in the West of Ireland.
- Myths, The Folklore of the Isle of Man www
Myths, Folklore of the Isle of Man, legends, superstitions, customs and proverbs, by A. W. Moore (1891), e-text from a Manx Note Book. The Folklore of the Isle of Man.
- Encyclopedic Lucky W Amulet Archive www
Encyclopedic resource describing and illustrating folkloric talismans and lucky charms from around the world, Amulet Archive, including horseshoe, swastika, four-leaf clover, rabbit foot, raccoon penis bone, hamsa hand, John the Conqueror root, scarab beetle, and black cat bone. Lucky W Amulet Archive.
- Folklore D. L. Ashliman www
Folklore researcher, Ashliman, providing extensive resources on Germanic myths, legends and sagas, and Indo-European folk and fairy tales. D. L. Ashliman.
- The Indiana University Folklore Collection www
The Indiana University Bloomington Libraries Folklore and Ethnomusicology Collection home page contains general Folklore references, University Folklore Collection, a list of links to other sites, and a description of the Collection. Indiana University Folklore Collection.
- Established Indiana University Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology www
Established 1962 by Stith Thompson and Richard Dorson; specialities include language and literature, University Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology, folk and traditional arts, and ritual and belief. Indiana University Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology.
- Omens Orkney Islands www
Omens of Death Orkney Islands.
- American Deadly Superstitions www
American folk beliefs about death and burial; part of the extensive Tombstone Traveller's Guide to American cemeteries and funeral practices. Deadly Superstitions.
- Gazetteer Dragons of the British Isles www
Gazetteer of places associated with dragons. Dragons of the British Isles.
- An The Museum of Myth and Fable www
An education programme based on storytelling in The Morgan Library, Museum of Myth and Fable, Wem, Shropshire. Contact and event details. The Museum of Myth and Fable.
- Online Folklore Home Page www
Online course materials offered by the College of Siskiyous. Folklore Home Page.
- Extensive The Gold Scales www
Extensive collection of traditional and modern wisdom, Gold Scales, tales and lore (in Norwegian and English). The Gold Scales.
- Article The Evil Eye www
Article in the e-zine Azerbaijan International, Evil Eye, by Jean Patterson and Arzu Aghayeva describing the belief and available protection. The Evil Eye.
- An Lucky Mojo: The Evil Eye www
An essay on the blue glass "Nazar Boncugu" or "Eye Bead" worn for protection in Turkey, Mojo: The Evil Eye, Cyprus, the Central Asian Turkic Republics, and among the Uigur Turks of China. Lucky Mojo: The Evil Eye.
- International Folkore Fellows at the Kalevala Institute of the University of Turku www
International scholarly network founded in Finland in 1908, Fellows at the Kalevala Institute of the University of Turku, furthering professional training of folklorists as well as promoting scholarly contacts and publication activities. Folkore Fellows at the Kalevala Institute of the University of Turku.
- Exists Humboldt Folklife Society www
Exists to preserve and promote the folk arts in music, Folklife Society, dance, and craft. Events calendar, membership form, and news. Arcata, California. Humboldt Folklife Society.
- Alexa: Folklore Society
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Folklore Society
- DMOZ: Folklore Society
dmoz.org Directory: Folklore Society