Roma (Gypsies) The Roma are a distinct ethnic minority whose origins began on the Indian subcontinent over one thousand years ago. Why the Roma left India is clouded in uncertainty, yet they entered southeastern Europe in the last quarter of the 13th Century. Because they arrived in Europe from the East, they were thought by the first Europeans to be from Turkey, Nubia or Egypt, or any number of non-European places. They were called, among other things, Egyptians or ‘Gyptians, which is where the word " Gypsy " comes from. In some places, this Egyptian identity was taken entirely seriously, and was no doubt borrowed by the early Roma themselves. Migration from India In Europe, Roma were either kept in slavery in the Balkans from the 14th century (officially abolished in 1864), or else moved into the rest of the European continent, reaching every northern and western country by about 1500. Romani Ethnicity Society.
- Romani people A traditionally nomadic ethnic group, living mostly in Europe and the Americas and originating...
- Romanichal A Romani sub-group in the United Kingdom and other parts of the English-speaking world.
- Romani language Any of several languages of the Romani people belonging to the Indo-Aryan branch of the...
- Castelli Romani A group of comunes in the province of Rome.
- Felice Romani An Italian poet and scholar of literature and mythology who wrote many librettos for the opera...
- Ludi Romani A religious festival in ancient Rome. Usually including multiple ceremonies called Ludi.
- Romani ite domum The corrected Latin phrase for the graffito "Romanes eunt domus" from a scene in the film Monty...
- Photographic The Roma of Central and Eastern Europe www
Photographic exhibition by Rolf Bauerdick. The Roma of Central and Eastern Europe.
- Their Rroma www
Their culture, Rroma, history and current situation, as well as organisations working with Rroma such as Opre and the Rroma Foundation. Includes news, reports and links. Rroma.
- Photographs Urban Gypsies www
Photographs by Paul Ross of the Latimer Road caravan site outside London. Urban Gypsies.
- Describes Gypsies and Travellers in Belgium www
Describes employment and inclusion programs for the Romani in Flemish, and Travellers in Belgium, French, and English. Gypsies and Travellers in Belgium.
- Photographs Les Roms de Roumanie (The Gypsies of Romania) www
Photographs by Yves Leresche. Roms de Roumanie (The Gypsies of Romania). Les Roms de Roumanie (The Gypsies of Romania).
- Roma Bjoco www
Roma artistic resources including flamenco and DROMA Kumpania activities, Bjoco, in Italian. Bjoco.
- Rana Photomythology www
Rana Halprin presents the visual story of Romani from California to Italy, Photomythology, taken over a span of 25 years. Extensive photograph gallery, biography of photographer, and information on the history and culture of the Romani. Photomythology.
- Preview Hidden from History www
Preview of Dr. from History. Susan Tebbutt's book 'Sinti and Roma in German Society and Literature.' Hidden from History.
- Middle Dom Research Center www
Middle East and North Africa Gypsy Studies; Journal, Research Center, articles, photo gallery and population chart. Dom Research Center.
- By The ERRC Legal Strategy to Challenge Racial Segregation and Discrimination in Czech Schools www
By Dimitrina Petrova, ERRC Legal Strategy to Challenge Racial Segregation and Discrimination in Czech Schools, 1999. The ERRC Legal Strategy to Challenge Racial Segregation and Discrimination in Czech Schools.
- Contacts Scottish Traveller Education Programme www
Contacts and networks, Traveller Education Programme, publications and papers, and related links. Scottish Traveller Education Programme.
- A Romanothan www
A cultural foundation for the support of Rroma [Gypsy] culture in order to monitor and combat social exclusion and racial discrimination. Romanothan. [English/Romanian] Romanothan.
- A The Little Vlach Corner www
A brief presentation of the Aromanian community and culture. Little Vlach Corner. Includes several poems and a description of winter customs. The Little Vlach Corner.
- Elspeth Children and the Inverse Care Law www
Elspeth Webb describes why good medical care is inversely proportional to the needs of travelers. and the Inverse Care Law. Published in the British Medical Journal. Children and the Inverse Care Law.
- David A Memorable Patient: Unerring Trust www
David A Black describes cultural differences found while working with patients in a rural practice in north Yorkshire. Memorable Patient: Unerring Trust. British Medical Journal. A Memorable Patient: Unerring Trust.
- Information The Never-ending Road: American Gypsy (Roma) and Travellers www
Information to trace genealogy of Romanies in America, Never-ending Road: American Gypsy (Roma) and Travellers, including records back to first settlers. The Never-ending Road: American Gypsy (Roma) and Travellers.
- Family Romany and Traveller Family History Society www
Family historians with a special interest in their British Gypsy and Traveller roots; information about membership, and Traveller Family History Society, publications, and their events. Romany and Traveller Family History Society.
- The Ethnologue: Languages of the World www
The Ethnologue is a catalogue of more than 6, Languages of the World,700 languages spoken in 228 countries. The Ethnologue Name Index lists over 39,000 language, dialect, and alternate names. The Ethnologue Language Family Index organizes languages according to language families. Ethnologue: Languages of the World.
- Contains Crossing Cultures www
Contains personal stories of cultural experiences, Cultures, essays, poems, artwork and photos. Crossing Cultures.
- Alexa: Romani Ethnicity
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Romani Ethnicity
- DMOZ: Romani Ethnicity
dmoz.org Directory: Romani Ethnicity