The people who inhabited a particular country or region prior to its settlement in historic times by immigrants. The word "indigenous" or "native" is used to distinguish such peoples from the later arrivals. Indigenous People Ethnicity Society.
Indigenous peoples, also known as first peoples, aboriginal peoples, native peoples, or autochthonous peoples, are ethnic groups who are descended from and identify with the original inhabitants of a given region, in contrast to groups that have settled, occupied or colonized the area more recently. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Indigenous peoples, also known as first peoples, aboriginal peoples or native peoples, are ethnic groups who are the original inhabitants of a given region, in contrast to groups that have settled, occupied or colonized the area more recently. Groups are usually described as indigenous when they maintain traditions or other aspects of an early culture that is associated with a given region. Not all indigenous peoples share this characteristic, usually having adopted substantial elements of a colonising culture, such as dress, religion or language. Indigenous peoples may be settled in a given region or exhibit a nomadic lifestyle across a large territory, but they are generally historically associated with a specific territory on which they depend. Indigenous societies are found in every inhabited climate zone and continent of the world.
- Indigenous peoples Category
- Collective rights - Group rights, also known as collective rights, are rights held by a group qua group rather than by its members severally; in contrast, individual rights are rights held by individual people; even if they are group-differentiated, which most rights are, they remain individual rights if the...
- Colonialism - Colonialism is the policy of a nation seeking to extend or retain its authority over other people or territories, generally with the aim of developing or exploiting them to the benefit of the colonizing country and helping the colonies modernize in terms defined by the colonizers, especially in...
- Disappeared Indigenous Women - Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women in Canada is a social issue that has received a great deal of attention by the media and government.
- Genocide of indigenous peoples - The genocide of indigenous peoples is the mass destruction of entire communities of indigenous peoples.
- Human rights - Human rights are moral principles or norms that describe certain standards of human behaviour, and are regularly protected as legal rights in municipal and international law.
- The Image Expedition - The Image Expedition is an American not-for-profit organization that produces multi-platform projects, which serve to photograph and document indigenous ways of life that are at risk of disappearing.
- An Center For World Indigenous Studies www
An independent, For World Indigenous Studies, non-profit organization; studies and promotes the ideas and knowledge of indigenous peoples and their social, economic and political status. Fourth World Documentation Project online library; information on CWIS sponsored educational programs. Center For World Indigenous Studies.
- A Indigenous People of the World www
A Digital library of the Indigenous people of today. Indigenous People of the World.
- An International Indian Treaty Council www
An international organization of indigenous peoples from North, Indian Treaty Council, Central, South America and the Pacific working for the sovereignty and self-Determination of indigenous peoples and the recognition and protection of indigenous rights, traditional cultures and sacred lands. International Indian Treaty Council.
- A Aboriginal Links International www
A directory of sites related to indigenous people around the world. Aboriginal Links International.
- Resources NativeWeb www
Resources for indigenous cultures around the world: directory and news. NativeWeb.
- Web TribalTek.org www
Web portal of information on indigenous people, TribalTek.org, lifeskills, and art worldwide. Also with sections on sovereignty, neotribalism, and historical reenactment. TribalTek.org.
- Articles, Indigenous Ethnicities www
Articles, Ethnicities, links, and environmental information on more than 300 native peoples of Africa, Asia and the Americas. Indigenous Ethnicities.
- List Ainu-English Word List www
List of common Ainu words and their English translations. Ainu-English Word List.
- Online Ainu - Spirit of a Northern People www
Online exhibition of the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History exploring the ancient origin of the Ainu, Spirit of a Northern People, their relations with the Japanese, and the Ainu cultural rebirth. Ainu - Spirit of a Northern People.
- A Matjjin-Nehen www
A blog on Aboriginal languages, Matjjin-Nehen, culture, and social issues. Matjjin-Nehen.
- Manuta Tasmanian Aboriginal Historical Services www
Manuta Tunapee Puggluggalia, Aboriginal Historical Services, offers insight to the world regarding Tasmanian Aboriginal culture, and includes a publishing house and a newsletter. Tasmanian Aboriginal Historical Services.
- Tebtebba Tebtebba www
Tebtebba (Indigenous Peoples' International Centre for Policy Research and Education) is an indigenous peoples' organization born out of the need for heightened advocacy to have the rights of indigenous peoples recognized, Tebtebba, respected and protected worldwide. Tebtebba.
- An The Akha Heritage Foundation www
An indigenous support website focusing on the plight of the Akha in Thailand. The Akha Heritage Foundation.
- Indigenous Oceania Documents -- Fourth World Documentation Project www
Indigenous peoples documents from Melanesia, Documents -- Fourth World Documentation Project, Polynesia and the Pacific. Oceania Documents -- Fourth World Documentation Project.
- NGO RAIPON - Russian Association of Indigenous Peoples of the North www
NGO protecting the interests of Russia's northern minority peoples (in Russian and English). RAIPON - Russian Association of Indigenous Peoples of the North.
- Graphic The World of Michael Grey Wolf www
Graphic and sculptural artist engaged with the First Peoples of Northern Asia and with nature. The World of Michael Grey Wolf.
- A Somby, Ande - Cyberilbmi www
A joik performer of the Sami or Laplander people, Ande - Cyberilbmi, Somby also is a designer and photographer, and he is associate professor at the Faculty of Law, University of Tromsø. Somby, Ande - Cyberilbmi.
- Fact Saami University College www
Fact sheet about the college established in Guovdageaidnu (Kautokeino) in 1989 to cover the needs of higher education and research of the Sami society, University College, and to strengthen Sami professional qualifications in various fields. The college has a responsibility for Sami higher education in general, and especially for teacher training. Saami University College.
- Provides The World Factbook - Field Listing - Ethnic Groups www
Provides a rank ordering, World Factbook - Field Listing - Ethnic Groups, by country, of ethnic groups starting with the largest and normally includes the percent of total population. The World Factbook - Field Listing - Ethnic Groups.
- Contains Crossing Cultures www
Contains personal stories of cultural experiences, Cultures, essays, poems, artwork and photos. Crossing Cultures.
- Alexa: Indigenous People Ethnicity
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Indigenous People Ethnicity
- DMOZ: Indigenous People Ethnicity
dmoz.org Directory: Indigenous People Ethnicity