The people who inhabited a particular country or region prior to its settlement in historic times by immigrants. The word "indigenous" or "native" is used to distinguish such peoples from the later arrivals. Indigenous People Ethnicity Society.
Indigenous peoples, also known as first peoples, aboriginal peoples, native peoples, or autochthonous peoples, are ethnic groups who are descended from and identify with the original inhabitants of a given region, in contrast to groups that have settled, occupied or colonized the area more recently. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Indigenous peoples, also known as first peoples, aboriginal peoples or native peoples, are ethnic groups who are the original inhabitants of a given region, in contrast to groups that have settled, occupied or colonized the area more recently. Groups are usually described as indigenous when they maintain traditions or other aspects of an early culture that is associated with a given region. Not all indigenous peoples share this characteristic, sometimes having adopted substantial elements of a colonising culture, such as dress, religion or language. Indigenous peoples may be settled in a given region or exhibit a nomadic lifestyle across a large territory, but they are generally historically associated with a specific territory on which they depend. Indigenous societies are found in every inhabited climate zone and continent of the world.
- Indigenous peoples Category
- Collective rights - Group rights, also known as collective rights, are rights held by a group qua group rather than by its members severally; in contrast, individual rights are rights held by individual people; even if they are group-differentiated, which most rights are, they remain individual rights if the...
- Colonialism - Colonialism is the policy of a nation seeking to extend or retain its authority over other people or territories, generally with the aim of developing or exploiting them to the benefit of the colonizing country and helping the colonies modernize in terms defined by the colonizers, especially in...
- Disappeared Indigenous Women - Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women in Canada is a social issue that has received a great deal of attention by the media and government.
- Genocide of indigenous peoples - The genocide of indigenous peoples is the mass destruction of entire communities of indigenous peoples.
- Human rights - Human rights are moral principles or norms that describe certain standards of human behaviour, and are regularly protected as legal rights in municipal and international law.
- The Image Expedition - The Image Expedition is an American not-for-profit organization that produces multi-platform projects, which serve to photograph and document indigenous ways of life that are at risk of disappearing.
- Ethnic groups
- Articles, Indigenous Ethnicities www
Articles, Ethnicities, links, and environmental information on more than 300 native peoples of Africa, Asia and the Americas. Indigenous Ethnicities.
- An Center For World Indigenous Studies www
An independent, For World Indigenous Studies, non-profit organization; studies and promotes the ideas and knowledge of indigenous peoples and their social, economic and political status. Fourth World Documentation Project online library; information on CWIS sponsored educational programs. Center For World Indigenous Studies.
- Resources NativeWeb www
Resources for indigenous cultures around the world: directory and news. NativeWeb.
- An International Indian Treaty Council www
An international organization of indigenous peoples from North, Indian Treaty Council, Central, South America and the Pacific working for the sovereignty and self-Determination of indigenous peoples and the recognition and protection of indigenous rights, traditional cultures and sacred lands. International Indian Treaty Council.
- Web TribalTek.org www
Web portal of information on indigenous people, TribalTek.org, lifeskills, and art worldwide. Also with sections on sovereignty, neotribalism, and historical reenactment. TribalTek.org.
- A Indigenous People of the World www
A Digital library of the Indigenous people of today. Indigenous People of the World.
- A Aboriginal Links International www
A directory of sites related to indigenous people around the world. Aboriginal Links International.
- Brief The Samurai and the Ainu www
Brief discussion of racial differences from Science Frontiers October 1989. The Samurai and the Ainu.
- List Ainu-English Word List www
List of common Ainu words and their English translations. Ainu-English Word List.
- Promoting The Bennelong Society Inc. www
Promoting debate and analysis of the history of the interaction between the European settlers and the Aborigines from a conservative point of view. The Bennelong Society Inc..
- Funded Aboriginal Hostels www
Funded by the Commonwealth Government and providing temporary accommodation services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Hostels. Includes employment opportunities, links, and publications. Aboriginal Hostels.
- An Forest Peoples Programme www
An international NGO founded in 1990 to promote forest peoples' rights. Forest Peoples Programme.
- Worldwide Survival International www
Worldwide organisation supporting tribal peoples and their human rights. Survival International.
- Indigenous Oceania Documents -- Fourth World Documentation Project www
Indigenous peoples documents from Melanesia, Documents -- Fourth World Documentation Project, Polynesia and the Pacific. Oceania Documents -- Fourth World Documentation Project.
- Online Crossroads of Continents www
Online exhibition about Siberian-Alaskan contacts, Continents, prepared by the [US] National Museum of Natural History. Crossroads of Continents.
- Brief Kamchatka - Native Peoples www
Brief overview of Kamchatka's native peoples. Kamchatka - Native Peoples.
- Information Samis : Location and Population www
Information from the Endangered Uralic Peoples site. Samis : Location and Population.
- Fact Saami University College www
Fact sheet about the college established in Guovdageaidnu (Kautokeino) in 1989 to cover the needs of higher education and research of the Sami society, University College, and to strengthen Sami professional qualifications in various fields. The college has a responsibility for Sami higher education in general, and especially for teacher training. Saami University College.
- Provides The World Factbook - Field Listing - Ethnic Groups www
Provides a rank ordering, World Factbook - Field Listing - Ethnic Groups, by country, of ethnic groups starting with the largest and normally includes the percent of total population. The World Factbook - Field Listing - Ethnic Groups.
- Database World Cultures www
Database of statistics and indexed links about more than 8000 cultural communities worldwide. World Cultures.
- Alexa: Indigenous People Ethnicity
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Indigenous People Ethnicity
- DMOZ: Indigenous People Ethnicity
dmoz.org Directory: Indigenous People Ethnicity