Research on the history, culture, activities, education, and living conditions of people with disabilities. Disability Studies Disabled Society.
Disability studies is an academic discipline that examines the meaning, nature, and consequences of disability as a social construct. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Disability studies is an academic discipline that examines the meaning, nature, and consequences of disability as a social construct. Initially the field focused on the division between "impairment" and "disability", where impairment was an impairment of an individual's mind or body, while disability was considered a social construction. This premise gave rise to two distinct models of disability: the social and medical models of disability. In 1999 the social model was universally accepted as the model preferred by the field. However, in recent years, the division between the social and medical models has been challenged. Additionally there has been an increased focus on interdisciplinary research. For example, recent investigations suggest using "cross-sectional markers of stratification" may help provide new insights on the non-random distribution of risk factors capable of acerbating disablement processes.
- Disability studies Category
- Ableism - Ableism is discrimination and social prejudice against people with disabilities. Ableism characterizes persons as defined by their disabilities and as inferior to the non-disabled. On this basis, people are assigned or denied certain perceived abilities, skills, or character traits.
- Cultural studies - Cultural studies is a field of theoretically, politically, and empirically engaged cultural analysis that concentrates upon the political dynamics of contemporary culture, its historical foundations, defining traits, conflicts, and contingencies.
- Developmental disability - Developmental disability is a diverse group of chronic conditions that are due to mental or physical impairments. Developmental disabilities cause individuals living with them many difficulties in certain areas of life, especially in "language, mobility, learning, self-help, and independent living".
- Future planning - For many elderly carers of a relative who has a learning or other disability, future planning is an issue. The population of older parents who have children with a learning disability is growing and many of their children are likely to outlive them.
- Inclusion (disability rights) - Inclusion is a term used by people with disabilities and other disability rights advocates for the idea that all people should take action to freely, openly accommodate people with disability for example by providing ramps and accessible toilets in meeting facilities.
- Infinite Ability - Infinite Ability is a special interest group on disability within the Medical Humanities Group of the University College of Medical Sciences. It was founded by Dr Satendra Singh in 2011.
- Medical humanities
- Interdisciplinary subfields of sociology
- Social constructionism
- A Society for Disability Studies www
A nonprofit scientific and educational organization established to promote interdisciplinary research on humanistic and social scientific aspects of disability and chronic illness. Society for Disability Studies.
- Graduate Disability Studies at Temple University, Philadelphia, PA www
Graduate Certificate and Undergraduate Courses in Disability Studies. Studies at Temple University, Philadelphia, PA. A course of studies exploring the historical, cultural and socio-political challenges and accomplishments of the disability community and culture. Disability Studies at Temple University, Philadelphia, PA.
- Bibliography A Bibliography for Parents and Students www
Bibliography on residential care, Bibliography for Parents and Students, community integration, and leisure for developmentally disabled persons. A resource for parents, students, and researchers. A Bibliography for Parents and Students.
- Disability Disability Social History Project www
Disability civil rights movement, Social History Project, other important events and people with disabilities in history, and the representation of disabled people in the mass media throughout time. Disability Social History Project.
- A Every Contact Counts www
A Disability awareness and customer service training program for medical facilities. Contact Counts. Offers problem based learning to promote patient centered care. Every Contact Counts.
- Focuses Center for Disabilities www
Focuses on academic and community training, for Disabilities, technical assistance, research, and information dissemination as they relate to people with developmental disabilities. University of South Dakota. Center for Disabilities.
- Online Disability Studies Online Magazine www
Online magazine publishing topics relating to the field of disability studies. Disability Studies Online Magazine.
- Promotes Disability History Museum www
Promotes understanding about the historical experience of people with disabilities by recovering, History Museum, chronicling, and interpreting their stories. Disability History Museum.
- Laboratory Developmental Disability and Mental Retardation Research www
Laboratory aims at medical, Disability and Mental Retardation Research,sociological and educational research of developmental disabilities-mental retardation with chromosomal abnormality,autistic disorders,physical developmental disorders,intoxication. Developmental Disability and Mental Retardation Research.
- Disability Certification of Disability Management Specialists Commission (CDMSC) www
Disability management as defined by the Certification of Disability Management Specialists Commission is the practice of providing preventive and remedial services to minimize the impact and cost of disability and to enhance the client's productivity. Disability Management Specialists Commission (CDMSC). Certification of Disability Management Specialists Commission (CDMSC).
- Dedicated Dept. of Disability and Human Development, University of Illinois at Chicago www
Dedicated to the scholarly, Disability and Human Development, University of Illinois at Chicago, interdisciplinary study of disability and related aspects of human development. It critically examines current and prospective disability policies, conceptual models, and intervention strategies. Dept. of Disability and Human Development, University of Illinois at Chicago.
- Encourages National Communication Association's Caucus on Disability Issues www
Encourages quality scholarship on issues concerning disability and communication. National Communication Association's Caucus on Disability Issues.
- RTC:Rural Research and Training Center on Rural Rehabilitation Services www
RTC:Rural strives to improve the ability of rural Americans with disabilities to live independently in their own communities. and Training Center on Rural Rehabilitation Services. Researchers focus on employment, independent living, health, accessible transportation and telecommunications. (Montana) Research and Training Center on Rural Rehabilitation Services.
- A Disability Research Institute www
A national resource fostering high quality research, Research Institute, dissemination of information, and training and education related to disability policy. (Illinois) Disability Research Institute.
- Journal Rehabilitation Counseling Bulletin www
Journal that features articles important to rehabilitation counseling practitioners in counseling, Counseling Bulletin, education, or research settings. Substantial archive access. Rehabilitation Counseling Bulletin.
- On-line Barbara Robertson's Disability Research Resources www
On-line resources for disability research from a socio-political perspective, Robertson's Disability Research Resources, and the emerging interdisciplinary field of Disability Studies. Barbara Robertson's Disability Research Resources.
- Expansive PSA www
Expansive writing on topics relating to the disabled, PSA, their relationship with the community, and institutionalization vs de-institutionalization. PSA.
- Promoting Institute on Disability Culture www
Promoting pride in the history, Disability Culture, activities, and cultural identity of individuals with disabilities throughout the world. Institute on Disability Culture.
- Activities National Center for the Dissemination of Disability Research www
Activities are in the areas of research , Center for the Dissemination of Disability Research, demonstration, dissemination and utilization and technical assistance. National Center for the Dissemination of Disability Research.
- This The Review of Disability Studies www
This International journal focuses on disability research and education. Review of Disability Studies. Features articles, essays, and bibliographies relating to the culture of disability. The Review of Disability Studies.
- A Canadian Centre on Disability Studies www
A consumer-directed, Centre on Disability Studies, university-affiliated centre involved in research and education on disability issues. Committed to fostering a spirit of collaboration between the disability and academic communities and other interested parties on initiatives of mutual interest and benefit nationally and internationally. Canadian Centre on Disability Studies.
- Persons Pacific Rim Conference on Disabilities www
Persons with disabilities, Rim Conference on Disabilities, family members, researchers, and service providers join policy-makers and nationally recognized speakers in the field of disabilities to participate in the conference. Pacific Rim Conference on Disabilities.
- A Disability Studies Programs in North America www
A continuously updated list of programs which deal in some way with the cultural and political determinants of the disability experience. Disability Studies Programs in North America.
- Collects National Rehabilitation Information Center www
Collects and disseminates the results of federally funded research projects to anyone who is interested in disability and rehabilitation. National Rehabilitation Information Center.
- ADA SS Blueprints www
ADA consultants define and create strategies for accessible designs and concepts to complete the Utilitarian Design Theory. SS Blueprints.
- An New Paradigm of Disability Bibliography www
An annotated resource introducing and explaining the social and civil rights perspective of disability. New Paradigm of Disability Bibliography.
- Provides Institute on Disability / UAP - Durham, NH www
Institute on Disability / UAP - Durham, NH.
- A The Center for the Study of Religion and Disability www
A resource for those looking for information relating to the natural support given by local churches to individuals with disabilities. The Center for the Study of Religion and Disability.
- A Studies Centre for Handicapped Research www
A non-profit research organization located in Syria providing updated information on a range of disabilities. Centre for Handicapped Research. View the aims of the center, success stories and how to volunteer. Studies Centre for Handicapped Research.
- An Centre for Disability Studies www
An interdisciplinary centre for teaching and research in the field of disability studies at the University of Leeds. for Disability Studies. (England) Centre for Disability Studies.
- A Center for Disability Studies www
A Hawaii University program to promote improved quality of life for persons with disabilities through core functions of interdisciplinary training, for Disability Studies, research, service, and dissemination of products and promising practices. Center for Disability Studies.
- Offers U.S. Census Bureau Data on Disability www
Offers reports, Census Bureau Data on Disability, briefs, research papers, and data. Includes information on how the data is collected. U.S. Census Bureau Data on Disability.
- A The State of the States in Developmental Disabilities www
A "Project of National Significance" research project administered by the University of Colorado to investigate public spending for disability services in each state. The State of the States in Developmental Disabilities.
- Tips MossRehab ResourceNet www
Tips on accessible travel, ResourceNet, factsheets on specific disabilities, information on the ADA, and disability news. MossRehab ResourceNet.
- A Special Needs Almanac www
A special needs resource covering medical issues, Needs Almanac, education, treatments and therapies and other information to those with a disability, their family and carers. Includes a list of support networks. Special Needs Almanac.
- Alexa: Disability Studies Disabled
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Disability Studies Disabled
- DMOZ: Disability Studies Disabled
dmoz.org Directory: Disability Studies Disabled