People with disabilities - how they live, learn, work, play and travel. Also disability news, studies, information, and statistics. Disabled Society.
Disability is an impairment that may be physical, cognitive, intellectual, mental, sensory, developmental, or some combination of these that results in restrictions on an individual's ability to participate in what is considered "normal" in their everyday society. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Disability is an impairment that may be cognitive, developmental, intellectual, mental, physical, sensory, or some combination of these. It substantially affects a person's life activities and may be present from birth or occur during a person's lifetime. Disability is a contested concept, with different meanings for different communities. It may be used to refer to physical or mental attributes that some institutions, particularly medicine, view as needing to be fixed. It may refer to limitations imposed on people by the constraints of an ableist society. Or the term may serve to refer to the identity of people with disabilities. The discussion over disability's definition arose out of disability activism in the U.S. and U.K. in the 1970s, which challenged how the medical concept of disability dominated perception and discourse about disabilities.
- Disability Category
- Disabilities-R-Us www
Features IRC and online web chat, Disabilities-R-Us, discussion forums, shopping and free web-based e-mail at gimpworld.com.
- A Special Needs Almanac www
A special needs resource covering medical issues, Needs Almanac, education, treatments and therapies and other information to those with a disability, their family and carers. Includes a list of support networks. Special Needs Almanac.
- UK Paradigm www
UK portal for learning disability news, Paradigm, policy, articles, links, and discussion. Information about Paradigm's courses and conferences. Paradigm.
- Tips MossRehab ResourceNet www
Tips on accessible travel, ResourceNet, factsheets on specific disabilities, information on the ADA, and disability news. MossRehab ResourceNet.
- Focuses Richard Attenborough Centre for Disability and the Arts www
Focuses on people with disabilities and other members of the public who have previously found access to arts education difficult. Attenborough Centre for Disability and the Arts. (UK) Richard Attenborough Centre for Disability and the Arts.
- A Damon Brooks Associates www
A resource that exclusively features performing artists, Brooks Associates, musicians and comedians, all of whom have a disability. Damon Brooks Associates.
- Conference Center on Disabilities www
Conference proceedings online Center on Disabilities.
- A Alliance for Technology Access www
A network of community-based Resource Centers, for Technology Access, Developers and Vendors, Affiliates, and Associates dedicated to providing information and support services to children and adults with disabilities, and increasing their use of standard, assistive, and information technologies. Alliance for Technology Access.
- Community Disabled United www
Community and fellowship site for individuals with disabilities. Disabled United.
- Internet First Network Online www
Internet forum for parents, Network Online, teachers, and service providers who care for and about children with disabilities. Provides information, support, resources and links. First Network Online.
- A Angels With Special Needs www
A non-profit organization providing recreational activities and respite care to families of children with severe disabilities. With Special Needs. View the services offered with FAQ. Columbia based. Angels With Special Needs.
- List Able Trust Calendar of Events www
List of events for the Florida disability community. Able Trust Calendar of Events.
- Important ICDRI Calendar of Disability Events www
Important disability conferences or other conferences which often have disability-related activities and events. ICDRI Calendar of Disability Events.
- Links Medical Equipment www
Links to healthcare, Equipment, medical and disability products. Medical Equipment.
- A Disability Resource Directory www
A public service directory from Online Connection, Resource Directory, Manhattan, Kansas, providing an annotated and alphabetical listing of disability, medical and health Resources. Disability Resource Directory.
- Alexa: Disabled Society
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Disabled Society
- DMOZ: Disabled Society
dmoz.org Directory: Disabled Society