People with disabilities - how they live, learn, work, play and travel. Also disability news, studies, information, and statistics. Disabled Society.
Disability is an impairment that may be physical, cognitive, intellectual, mental, sensory, developmental, or some combination of these that results in restrictions on an individual's ability to participate in what is considered "normal" in their everyday society. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Disability is an impairment that may be cognitive, developmental, intellectual, mental, physical, sensory, or some combination of these. It substantially affects a person's life activities and may be present from birth or occur during a person's lifetime. Disability is a contested concept, with different meanings for different communities. It may be used to refer to physical or mental attributes that some institutions, particularly medicine, view as needing to be fixed. It may refer to limitations imposed on people by the constraints of an ableist society. Or the term may serve to refer to the identity of people with disabilities. The discussion over disability's definition arose out of disability activism in the U.S. and U.K. in the 1970s, which challenged how the medical concept of disability dominated perception and discourse about disabilities.
- Disability Category
- Disabilities-R-Us www
Features IRC and online web chat, Disabilities-R-Us, discussion forums, shopping and free web-based e-mail at gimpworld.com.
- Tips MossRehab ResourceNet www
Tips on accessible travel, ResourceNet, factsheets on specific disabilities, information on the ADA, and disability news. MossRehab ResourceNet.
- A Special Needs Almanac www
A special needs resource covering medical issues, Needs Almanac, education, treatments and therapies and other information to those with a disability, their family and carers. Includes a list of support networks. Special Needs Almanac.
- UK Paradigm www
UK portal for learning disability news, Paradigm, policy, articles, links, and discussion. Information about Paradigm's courses and conferences. Paradigm.
- Based Arts Access www
Based in Melbourne, Access, Australia and provides access to arts and cultural activity for people who are disadvantaged, including people with a disability. Arts Access.
- Site National Forum on Careers in the Arts for People with Disabilities www
Site presents the Forum's agenda, Forum on Careers in the Arts for People with Disabilities, concept papers, keynote addresses, daily updates, and final recommendations. National Forum on Careers in the Arts for People with Disabilities.
- Develops Science Access Project www
Develops methods for making science, Access Project, math, and engineering information accessible to people with print disabilities. Science Access Project.
- WATA Washington Assistive Technology Alliance www
WATA provides information, Assistive Technology Alliance, referrals, consultation, and training. Washington Assistive Technology Alliance.
- Community Disabled United www
Community and fellowship site for individuals with disabilities. Disabled United.
- A Angels With Special Needs www
A non-profit organization providing recreational activities and respite care to families of children with severe disabilities. With Special Needs. View the services offered with FAQ. Columbia based. Angels With Special Needs.
- A Helping Hands Foundation www
A not-for-profit support group for parents of children with upper limb differences. Helping Hands Foundation.
- Events New Mobility Calendar of Events www
Events of interest to the disability community. New Mobility Calendar of Events.
- An Supported Life Institute www
An educational nonprofit institute, Life Institute, producing conferences on developmental disabilities, and promoting community inclusion, supported living, and self-advocacy for individuals with cognitive disabilities. Supported Life Institute.
- Extensive Disability Resources Monthly www
Extensive guide to disability resources on the internet. Disability Resources Monthly.
- Links Medical Equipment www
Links to healthcare, Equipment, medical and disability products. Medical Equipment.
- Alexa: Disabled Society
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Disabled Society
- DMOZ: Disabled Society
dmoz.org Directory: Disabled Society