Cemeteries Death Care Death Society.
A cemetery or graveyard is a place where the remains of dead people are buried or otherwise interred. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: A cemetery or graveyard is a place where the remains of dead people are buried or otherwise interred. The word cemetery implies that the land is specifically designated as a burial ground and originally applied to the Roman underground catacombs. The term graveyard is often used interchangeably with cemetery, but a graveyard primarily refers to a burial ground within a churchyard. The intact or cremated remains of people may be interred in a grave, commonly referred to as burial, or in a tomb, an "above-ground grave", a mausoleum, columbarium, niche, or other edifice. In Western cultures, funeral ceremonies are often observed in cemeteries. These ceremonies or rites of passage differ according to cultural practices and religious beliefs. Modern cemeteries often include crematoria, and some grounds previously used for both, continue as crematoria as a principal use long after the interment areas have been filled.
- Corpse road - Corpse roads provided a practical means for transporting corpses, often from remote communities, to cemeteries that had burial rights, such as parish churches and chapels of ease.
- Prison cemetery - A prison cemetery is a cemetery reserved for prisoners. Generally, the remains of inmates who are not claimed by family or friends are interred in prison cemeteries and include convicts executed for capital crimes.
- Victorian cemeteries - The origins of the Victorian cemetery were based on Victorian ideas of regulation and structure, much like other parts of Victorian society such as workhouses, asylums and prisons. The Victorian cemetery was a new way of burying people due to innovative landscape design and architecture.
- Lists of cemeteries by country - These lists of cemeteries compile notable cemeteries, mausoleums, and other places people are buried worldwide. Reasons for notability include their design, their history, and their interments.
- Catacomb - Catacombs are human-made subterranean passageways for religious practice. Any chamber used as a burial place is a catacomb, although the word is most commonly associated with the Roman Empire.
- Churchyard - A churchyard is a patch of land adjoining or surrounding a church, which is usually owned by the relevant church or local parish itself. In the Scots language this can also be known as a kirkyard.
- Planned developments
- Death customs
- Find A Grave www
A resource for finding the final resting places of notable people, A Grave, primarily in English-speaking countries. Searchable by name, location or claim to fame. Thousands of pictures of notable graves, as well.
- A Cemetery Culture: City of the Silent www
A site devoted to cemetery appreciation, Culture: City of the Silent, especially culture and art. Features Postcards from the Grave and The Epitaph Browser. Cemetery Culture: City of the Silent.
- Contains Cemetery Studies www
Contains lesson plans on cemetery studies for teachers. Studies. Includes pictures of a trip with students. Cemetery Studies.
- Intended Cyndi's List www
Intended as a genealogy starting point and resource list. Cyndi's List.
- An Cemetery Column www
An electronic journal on cemeteries and everything else six-feet under. Cemetery Column.
- Explains Forest of Memories www
Explains and promotes green or natural burials, Memories, where the body is not artificially preserved, and the grounds are a memorial nature preserve. Lists cemeteries, laws and related organizations in Canada and USA. Forest of Memories.
- A Kamat's Potpourri: Jain Monuments of Karnataka www
A survey of Jain Monuments in Karnataka. Kamat's Potpourri: Jain Monuments of Karnataka.
- Mailing Cemetery Culture: Grave-L Mailing List www
Mailing lists devoted to cemetery appreciation and culture. Cemetery Culture: Grave-L Mailing List.
- Professional Vermont Cemetery Association www
Professional organization of active Vermont cemeteries. Cemetery Association. Provides updates on membership benefits, consumer affairs, related legislation, and events, as well as newsletter and related links. [requires MS Internet Explorer] Vermont Cemetery Association.
- Alberta, Western Canada Cemetery Association www
Alberta, Canada Cemetery Association, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba cemetery operators and associated services. Western Canada Cemetery Association.
- Furthering Association of Gravestone Studies (AGS) www
Furthering the study and preservation of gravestones, Gravestone Studies (AGS), AGS is an international organization with an interest in gravemarkers of all periods and styles. Association of Gravestone Studies (AGS).
- A Friends of Rookwood www
A volunteer organization dedicated to the restoration of this Victorian cemetery which is located in Lidcombe, Rookwood, NSW, Australia. Friends of Rookwood.
- Paid Funeral Homes Directory.com www
Paid directory for funeral related businesses. Funeral Homes Directory.com.
- US, Funeral Home Directory www
US, Home Directory, Canadian, and international funeral home directory with important information regarding funerals and cremations. Funeral Home Directory.
- A Flickr: Desecrated www
A group to illustrate and protest the desecration/ vandalism of cemeteries. Flickr: Desecrated.
- Documenting CemPhotos.com www
Documenting tombstones with a camera. CemPhotos.com.
- Online The Gravestone Collection www
Online compilation of the burial location of U. Gravestone Collection.S. Civil War veterans, organized by name and regiment. The Gravestone Collection.
- Design Carriers Mausoleum Construction www
Design and build memorial monuments, Mausoleum Construction, columbariums and mausoleums. Includes profile, project examples, job opportunities, services and bronze division. Carriers Mausoleum Construction.
- South Graves Tombs Coffins and Casket Systems www
South African supplier of pre-cast, Tombs Coffins and Casket Systems, above ground tombs for cemeteries. Includes information about their product. Graves Tombs Coffins and Casket Systems.
- Discussion MyDeath.Net www
Discussion center for death and dying. MyDeath.Net.
- Death FuneralWire www
Death Care news and information site. FuneralWire. Includes message boards, free daily newsletter, chat rooms, and specials. FuneralWire.
- Alexa: Cemeteries Death Care
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Cemeteries Death Care
- DMOZ: Cemeteries Death Care
dmoz.org Directory: Cemeteries Death Care