Cemeteries Death Care Death Society.
A cemetery or graveyard is a place where the remains of dead people are buried or otherwise interred. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: A cemetery or graveyard is a place where the remains of dead people are buried or otherwise interred. The word cemetery implies that the land is specifically designated as a burial ground and originally applied to the Roman underground catacombs. The term graveyard is often used interchangeably with cemetery, but a graveyard primarily refers to a burial ground within a churchyard. The intact or cremated remains of people may be interred in a grave, commonly referred to as burial, or in a tomb, an "above-ground grave", a mausoleum, columbarium, niche, or other edifice. In Western cultures, funeral ceremonies are often observed in cemeteries. These ceremonies or rites of passage differ according to cultural practices and religious beliefs. Modern cemeteries often include crematoria, and some grounds previously used for both, continue as crematoria as a principal use long after the interment areas have been filled.
- Corpse road - Corpse roads provided a practical means for transporting corpses, often from remote communities, to cemeteries that had burial rights, such as parish churches and chapels of ease.
- Prison cemetery - A prison cemetery is a cemetery reserved for prisoners. Generally, the remains of inmates who are not claimed by family or friends are interred in prison cemeteries and include convicts executed for capital crimes.
- Victorian cemeteries - The origins of the Victorian cemetery were based on Victorian ideas of regulation and structure, much like other parts of Victorian society such as workhouses, asylums and prisons. The Victorian cemetery was a new way of burying people due to innovative landscape design and architecture.
- Lists of cemeteries by country - These lists of cemeteries compile notable cemeteries, mausoleums, and other places people are buried worldwide. Reasons for notability include their design, their history, and their interments.
- Catacomb - Catacombs are human-made subterranean passageways for religious practice. Any chamber used as a burial place is a catacomb, although the word is most commonly associated with the Roman Empire.
- Churchyard - A churchyard is a patch of land adjoining or surrounding a church, which is usually owned by the relevant church or local parish itself. In the Scots language or Northern English language, this can also be known as a kirkyard or kirkyaird.
- Planned developments
- Death customs
- Cemetery Junction www
A directory of active and retired cemetery addresses and links. Junction.
- Intended Cyndi's List www
Intended as a genealogy starting point and resource list. Cyndi's List.
- Contains Cemetery Studies www
Contains lesson plans on cemetery studies for teachers. Studies. Includes pictures of a trip with students. Cemetery Studies.
- Mailing Cemetery Culture: Grave-L Mailing List www
Mailing lists devoted to cemetery appreciation and culture. Cemetery Culture: Grave-L Mailing List.
- An Cemetery Column www
An electronic journal on cemeteries and everything else six-feet under. Cemetery Column.
- Explains Forest of Memories www
Explains and promotes green or natural burials, Memories, where the body is not artificially preserved, and the grounds are a memorial nature preserve. Lists cemeteries, laws and related organizations in Canada and USA. Forest of Memories.
- A Kamat's Potpourri: Jain Monuments of Karnataka www
A survey of Jain Monuments in Karnataka. Kamat's Potpourri: Jain Monuments of Karnataka.
- A Cemetery Culture: City of the Silent www
A site devoted to cemetery appreciation, Culture: City of the Silent, especially culture and art. Features Postcards from the Grave and The Epitaph Browser. Cemetery Culture: City of the Silent.
- Professional Vermont Cemetery Association www
Professional organization of active Vermont cemeteries. Cemetery Association. Provides updates on membership benefits, consumer affairs, related legislation, and events, as well as newsletter and related links. [requires MS Internet Explorer] Vermont Cemetery Association.
- Alberta, Western Canada Cemetery Association www
Alberta, Canada Cemetery Association, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba cemetery operators and associated services. Western Canada Cemetery Association.
- Dedicated Save Our Cemeteries www
Dedicated to the preservation and restoration of the historic cemeteries of Louisiana, Our Cemeteries, and to fostering a public appreciation of the architectural and cultural value of these historic cemeteries. Save Our Cemeteries.
- A Friends of Elmwood Cemetery Inc. www
A not-for-profit organization dedicated to the restoration, Elmwood Cemetery Inc., beautification and reforestation of historic Elmwood Cemetery in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Friends of Elmwood Cemetery Inc..
- Non-Profit Anatomic Gift Foundation, Inc. www
Non-Profit organization offering no-cost body donation for medical science and transplantation with cost-free cremation options. Gift Foundation, Inc.. Alternative to traditional funeral arrangements. Anatomic Gift Foundation, Inc..
- US, Funeral Home Directory www
US, Home Directory, Canadian, and international funeral home directory with important information regarding funerals and cremations. Funeral Home Directory.
- For Cemetery Photos www
For collections of images focusing on graveyards and markers. Photos. Over 50 sites. Cemetery Photos.
- Cemetery Flickr: Graveyard www
Cemetery photo group with a changing, Graveyard, weekly theme. Flickr: Graveyard.
- Database BCCFA - British Columbia Cemetery Finding Aid - Genealogy www
Database of interments in British Columbia Canada. BCCFA - British Columbia Cemetery Finding Aid - Genealogy.
- Cemetery Milne Construction Co. www
Cemetery master planning services, Construction Co., and design and construction of mausolea and columbaria in cemeteries and memorial parks; offices in New Jersey, Oregon, Ontario and Victoria, Australia. Site highlights past projects and innovations, company history, and services offered. Milne Construction Co..
- Designed Armento Liturgical Arts, Inc. www
Designed for the denominational needs and the architectural style of the church. Armento Liturgical Arts, Inc..
- The US Federal Trade Commission: Funeral Rule - 16 CFR 453 www
The text, Federal Trade Commission: Funeral Rule - 16 CFR 453, how to apply it, and consumer information about it. US Federal Trade Commission: Funeral Rule - 16 CFR 453.
- Resources Growth House www
Resources for life-threatening illness, House, end of life care, bereavement and grief, death and dying. Growth House.
- Alexa: Cemeteries Death Care
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Cemeteries Death Care
- DMOZ: Cemeteries Death Care
dmoz.org Directory: Cemeteries Death Care